AnsweredAssumed Answered

OpenGL ES SDK seems to be gone. Canonical way to create native ES contexts on Windows?

Question asked by thokra on May 16, 2018
Latest reply on May 31, 2018 by thokra

Hey everybody!

First, a minor issue: please whitelist me - I've been an orderly member since 2009.

Now for the actual problem - please bear in mind that I currently don't have access to AMD hardware but I still need to make sure of cross-vendor capable code.

While developing our in-house 3D engine and toolchain I stumbled upon the AMD peculiarity (or rather the everyone-else peculiarity if one is honest) that ES context creation is not exposed via WGL_EXT_create_context_es2_profile but via the above mentioned native SDK. The issue is: the former link is dead and there is nothing to be found on GPUOpen. I don't want to be forced to use ANGLE if I can have a perfectly valid, native context instead across vendors - having everything translated to D3D is especially cumbersome in debugging session with a frame debugger.

Is it intentional that the SDK is not available anymore? Has its location been reassigned? Has there been a shift in strategy and the aforementioned extension is now supported?

Thank you!

P.S.: Any insight into why NVIDIA and Intel prefer exposing GLES via WGL instead of offering an EGL implementation would be very much appreciated!

Outcomes