cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

How to fix game stutter on Windows 10 Creators Update / Possible BF1 fix

Although this is a previous Win10 version...maybe the 'fix' will work on the latest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7a0763/standby_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators...

"I have tested this thoroughly and it is 100% the cause of my stutters on the creators updates (especially noticeable in games like BF1).

Once the free memory is exhausted then performance takes a big hit, games with heavy caching like BF1 suffer horribly. The only way I could fix previously was restarting the computer (thus clearing the memory), which explains why it was only happening after a while and not on a fresh boot.

I have a permanent solution that keeps memory free at all times. I don't know what MS changed, but this didn't happen on 1607.

This totally fixes my system stutters on the creators.

1. Download EmptyStandbyList and put it somewhere where you won't move it https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/
  2. Right click > Properties and select Run as Admin under compatibility.
  3. Open Task Scheduler > Create Task on the far right
  4. General Tab (give it a name). Under security options > Change user or group > Advanced > Find Now > go down and choose SYSTEM (important to make it run silently in the background). Tick 'Run with highest privileges' and 'Hidden' at the bottom. Pictures here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6568736/how-do-i-set-a-windows-scheduled-task-to-run-in-the-back...
  5. Triggers tab > New > On a schedule > One Time. Tick repeat task every 5 minutes (possibly excessive but it causes no issues). Also choose 'for the duration of: indefinitely'
  6. Actions tab > Start A program > Point to the EmptyStandbyList.exe file.
  7. Done! Standby memory is automatically cleared every 5mins.

I hope MS will come up with a fix, but if you have a similar issue/performance degradation over time - try this. Many on the nvidia forums have said it also fixes their issues."

0 Likes
5 Replies

Thanks for the share! Great contribution. I had not seen this before.

0 Likes

Thinking about this now even more I have to wonder if this would help the guys with the ROTTR issues too maybe. Not a stutter issue but I had found that cleaning the memory before going into the game made a big difference and was only still having issues when playing for long time then. Now with 32 gigs I don't ever have problem. So this has my wheels turning. Thanks for the share!

0 Likes

Decided to download and run this program as instructed. I have 16 gbytes of memory but 75% is in use due to the amount of background programs I have running. Figure it won't hurt and may improve on performance in general of my computer.

Thanks to Pokester for linking your suggestion on another recent thread.

0 Likes

Some feedback would be helpful.....

0 Likes

It looks to like this issue is being addressed by Microsoft in the spring update starting on the 10th. A couple of changes coming that look like they will hopefully negate the bad things previous updates have done.

One person tried the above over in the ROTTR thread to see if helped the memory resource issue, not really a stutter issue. It did not help that. I would have tried it but after the last driver update my BF2 game is not stuttering anymore anyway.

At this point I am going to see what the new MS changes help (and hopefully don't hurt) in the upcoming update in a few days.

0 Likes