3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2017 1:18 PM by zacharybinx34

VEGA 64 & R9 290X TRIX Win 10 x64 THREAD

majika

Hi,

• MOBO:   Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 (Rev 1.0) (Bios F10) <== (My attempt to install Vega 64 forced me to Flash my bios up to F11d BETA!!!)
      • CPU:    AMD 8120 FX (AM3+) Zambezi  (Water cooled H100)
      • GPU:    Sapphire R9 290X TRIX GPU
      • RAM:    DDR3 16GB Vengeance @ 1600Mhz

I have been happily running windows 7 and upgraded to Win 8.1 for many years (since their release) on my system specs detailed above.

All My components have been happily running on Windows 7 + 8.1 at Stock speeds (Not OC) for YEARS!

The story begins with the silly idea that the AMD latest GPU release would be a great purchase "Sapphire VEGA 64". So, that's exactly what I did. It arrived!
      However, I did notice prior to my purchase the Vega 64 only had Win 7 OR Win10 driver support OR Linux

So, Excited at my new purchase I completed my Clean format on my system to make way for my new Vega 64.

I done the format with the R9 290X installed in my system. As soon I reached the desktop I launched into safe mode and run Display Driver Uninstalled DDU (latest version).

DDU uninstalled what it needed to do and put my system into Shutdown mode Ready for the installation stage for my new Vega 64. Which is what I done I swapped out My R( 290X and installed my Vega 64. Booted back into windows Running under the Microsoft Display Driver (Default) I proceeded to install AMD Crimson 17.x latest update Oct24 However it failed to allow me to complete the driver installation stating various errors and more importantly the BSOD with the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error.

I attempted this process various times each time doing a CLEAN FORMAT and repeating the DDU (as above) I was totally stuck I tried everything, Removing all my external components One stick of RAM, you know, the usual troubleshooting steps one takes when something cannot start or be Installed.

I still had No luck getting my Vega 64 installed. So, I decided to downgrade back to Win 7 x64 Ultimate to see if this card was DOA of if it was just an OS/Driver issue.?

Again, I done the same steps Clean Install of Win 7 x64 UT, on desktop, reboot into Safe Mode, DDU Uninstall drivers then reinstall New drivers. No Luck!

I was unable to install my brand new Sapphire Vega 64 GPU properly I could only get the OS to boot with my Vega card only using the Basic Microsoft Basic Display Drivers under Device Manager.

My Vega 64 is not on route back to where I purchased it from for a FULL refund. HOWEVER, this story is not yet finished!

Please bare in mind that I require my system to be 100% stable at all times, but after all of this I am left with a OS that is very temperamental and completely unstable! I am left with an operating system which I did NOT wish to upgrade to (Win 10 x64 Pro) using my original Sapphire R9 290X TRIX-X which now works (barely) with sporadic system crashes, Various OpenGL 2.0 errors messages which state different OpenGL ES 2 errors or DX12 errors a perfect example is when I go to launch my Media Player to watch a movie OR when I use Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer).

Failed to create OpenGL context format
      QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options
      QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>0, depthBufferSize 24,
      This is most likely caused by not having the necessary graphics driver installed.
      OpenGL 2.0
      ANGLE Open GL ES 2.0 Emulation Libraries (libEGL.dll, libGLESv2.dll d3dcompiler_*.dll) are available in the application executable's directory or in a location listed in PATH

Various other error dialog messages mentioning the same as the OP:-  dxgkrnl.sys  - atikmdag.sys

At the end of the day the whole process has been a nightmare with not only being sold a component which is incompatible with my Operating System BUT it seems is also incompatible with my Hardware. This should not be allowed to happen.

Companies making hardware should ensure that they have FULL compatibility and that their drivers work OR the Operating system which AMD are partners with should also ensure they make sure it works flawlessly!

Shame on Both Microsoft & AMD.

You are going to loose have lost loyal customers

Intel/Linux/NVIDIA here I come!.