16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2017 1:22 PM by spikeypup

HELP!! Getting BSOD After installing the lastest driver

mint2be

So two weeks ago i updated my graphics driver for my R9 380X from 17.7.2 to 17.9.3 (Optional) and after a few days it started getting black screens and crashing once i played games. Fast forward to 2 weeks later i started getting the "Thread Stuck in Device Driver" BSOD". But it wasnt too frequent. Fast forward again to 1 week later im only getting the BSOD. I have tried uninstalling the drivers with DDU and installing new ones but once the updater starts installing the AMD Graphics Drivers it gives me the same BSOD. I dont know how but now my graphics card is only shown in the Device Manager as Microsoft Basic Display Driver. Now i am now stuck in this endless loop of when ever i install previous drivers it just gives me the BSOD but

• Re: HELP!! Getting BSOD After installing the lastest driver
          mint2be

UPDATE: I can "update" the drivers from device manager from safe mode but once I get out of safe mode, I only get the BSOD. Doing this also changes my graphics card to "AMD R9 380 Series"

elstaci

Who is the manufacturer of your GPU card? Have you tried reinstalling the last AMD driver that was working?

Try installing the AMD drivers from your GPU manufacturer's support website and see if you continue to get BSOD's.

I would also run a MEMTEST86  RAM memory tester to make sure your memory is good.

Also check to be sure you have the latest BIOS version on your motherboard installed.

Since you haven't posted your computer specs, is your computer a laptop or Desktop?

What Windows OS is installed. What is your motherboard and CPU?

mint2be

I have a ASUS Z97-a mobo with a intel core i5 4460 @3.20 ghz and that is pretty much it if you dont include my gpu. I am running the latest bios version on my mobo. The people who made my card was Powercolor. I have tried to install a version of the drivers that used to work but i still get the BSOD. As for the drivers on Powercolor's website for my card, there are none. I donty have the cd it came with because my dad told me to always stay updated with the driver and i discarded the it.

elstaci

Do you have both 6 pins GPU power connectors connected to the RX380x?

By the way, Your father's advice is true ONLY if you are having problems with your video or audio. Otherwise is best to stay with the driver that is working fine without needlessly updating just for the sake of updating.

Do you have another computer you can put your card in to see if it also causes BSOD's?

When you go to safe mode with networking, download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.7.5 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum ) and run it. Make sure it says AMD for the drivers to delete. This should delete all versions and leftover AMD drivers from your computer. After the computer reboots, reinstall the last GOOD version of AMD driver that was working. Hopefully, it won't BSOD. If it doesn't BSOD, download and install a diagnostic program that STRESS-TEST your gpu. I personally use OCCT. It Stress tests your GPU and checks for errors. If you run OCCT test for GPU with Errors and it shows errors while running full screen, you probably have a defective GPU card.

OCCT also shows your PSU outputs. Make sure they are all within range, especially the 12 volt and 5 volts.

There are many other diagnostic programs you can use like Furmark if you so desire.

mint2be

I cant install ANY versions of any driver for my card... No matter what i driver i try to install for my card i get the BSOD. I did run the OCCT test on 1920x1080 , fullscreen and at 60 fps for my grapics card. My fps was 1 or below one (i.e. .095) and both the 12v and 5v were within range

spikeypup

What is the exact BSOD Bugcheck or errorcode you are getting, are you able to save a dump file, if so please attach it for analysis.  Also out of curiosity, have you deleted all the AMD drivers out of your local driverstore?  DDU should do this, but you can manually do it by using device manager, and right clicking the display adapter and selecting uninstall, then click the box that says "uninstall/delete software and drivers for this device", I forget exactly but I think that sounds about right,  It'll present that option until it reaches the Microsoft Basic Display level driver, then you can click "scan for new hardware/ hardware changes" button on the menu bar, and let it install again, if you watch the driver versions you should see if it is changing (properties/drivers/info), then again uninstall with that box checked, I do this until the number doesn't change and is inline with the WHQL/Win Update version, as each time you uninstall with the box checked it will remove that version that was used but not necessarily any other versions hanging around in your local driverstore, so when it goes to install again, it might see another version that you have in there and decide that "yep that's a match!" and use that one, so I do this to eliminate all other versions so it is forced to download a fresh set from windows update.  Actually I manually delete them from the driverstore, but that is beyond the scope and for most and kind of risky so I suggest the above method.

Let us know!

Spikeypup

spikeypup

After you use DDU to uninstall everything in safe mode (ensure that it is  set to clear the C:\AMD directory), allow it to stay as Microsoft Basic Display, then reboot.  It should still be MBD, that is fine.  Depending on how you have your Device Installation Settings <Windows Key>  ==> "Device installation Settings" (without the quotes), if you have YES/Enabled it will start to pull the WHQL drivers from the Windows Driver Store online, and that's store like repository not a purchasing hub.  If it is set to NO/Disabled, then switch it to YES and click OK, you can change this back to NO after this process is done, setting this to NO prevents windows from overwriting your video drivers with the drivers in Windows Update.

Once you set it to Yes, go to device manager, click on the Scan for Hardware changes button at the top, if it doesn't find the change, do it again after about 30 seconds.  Now you have to be patient, and wait, for good measure you can also go to the Windows Update settings panel and click on check for updates a few times, you might even see that it says it's downloading the drivers for the Radeon.  If you wait patiently it should take no longer than 10 minutes for windows to start this whole process if it doesn't do it immediately like it should (1-3 minutes, especially if you force it by doing the things I'm saying)

Once it recognizes the hardware and correlates it's HWID with the driver store; windows will start to prepare to download and install the drivers, it's just not saying anything about it, if you wait a few minutes, you'll hear the familiar disconnect/reconnect of hw sound, and then it will change to the Radeon **** in Display Adapters.

Now before you change any versions with downloads, test for the stability of those drivers, no they aren't the greatest, but they should be really stable.  If you desire newer drivers, then try to go to the version that you remember worked with no issues, it should be 17.6.2 or before.  Use those until the issue within the current driver path is fixed.

Let me know how it goes...

Spikeypup

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        mint2be

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!!

I am not guaranteeing that it will work for you but i flashed my bios and installed a new bios for my GPU and it worked! I used this forum to get all of my downloads. > How to Upgrade Your GPU BIOS - Graphics Cards - Tom's Hardware  https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

spikeypup

That's great to hear!  Sometimes it does take a Mobo BIOS update or even a Video BIOS update to get things sorted when they are that old, or have existing problems.  Thanks for sharing!

Spikeypup

mint2be

But now ive run into another problem, pretty sure its because of the bios, but when ever i play any games its running slower than before any of this happened. and all of my clocks are set to 0 according to msi afterburner, gpu-z and cam, and cant change any of it no matter what i try to do

spikeypup

What version of drivers are you on?  Keep in mind you will need to update MSI Afterburner to the latest beta build to be compliant with 17.7.2+ for controls and readout.  It's best that you try to uninstall MSI afterburner and just use wattman to make your adjustments.  Right now though, clock adjustment is slightly fickle under 17.7.2+ on some configurations so your mileage may vary, and having MSI and wattman at the same time can really cause chaos if you are using MSI to control.  Let me know...

Spikeypup

mint2be

For my drivers i am on 17.7.2 and for MSI Afterburner i am on 4.3.0. I dont know why but when i go into the global settings for the radeon settings, wattman doesnt show up. When i ran 17.7.2 on the newer bios before the problems happened it ran fine.

spikeypup

You might want to try uninstalling MSI Afterburner just for the moment, then after a reboot see if Wattman is there.  If not, there may be an incompatibility with the PowerPlay tables in the bios you are on versus the newer bios, but that shouldn't really be the case, it is more than likely MSI Afterburner affecting Wattman ability.  If it still doesn't return, even after uninstalling MSI Afterburner, you can try to reinstall the 17.7.2 package using an Express Install to see if that helps it to return.  I make all my clock changes in Wattman, while I have MSI Afterburner installed I only use it for OSD and Riva Tuner Stats and some sensors, I allow it to monitor voltages/frequencies but I do not allow it to change them, and if you put it into unofficial overclock mode I have seen wattman do strange things, even disappear as you have mentioned.  While wattman isn't perfect yet, generally it works well and plays nicer with the GPU, but I understand if you have a preference.  We all do. 

Spikeypup