30 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 11:39 AM by hardcoregames™

AMD PROCESSOR FX 8350 IS BROKEN

hannesamdking

Hi! i wonder if some1 can help me with my processor something is wrong with it,

AMD FX 79 °C

Vishera 32nm Technology

Its on 80°C thats not right can someone help me fast i dont want it to brake

• Re: AMD PROCESSOR FX 8350 IS BROKEN
          hardcoregames™

Better redo you CPU cooler it's definitely not working right. I use Arctic MX-4.

keni

I would concur with hardcoregames advice to you to replace your CPU cooler.  I was having the same problems with my FX-8350 overheating (61 C. is max user temp for it) and then shutting down.  It should shut your system down before the CPU is damaged. Mine shut down about 79-80 C. Following a suggestion from black_zion on my post yesterday, I removed my Corsair H-110i GT liquid cooler and replaced it with the stock AMD CPU cooler that came with the chip. That solved my overheating problem. The system runs between 25 C. and 30 C. now which is a lot cooler that the H-110i 40-55 C. temp averages since it was first installed over a year ago, which leads me to believe it was faulty from the get go.

hardcoregames™

The H110i should work OK, but if the thermal material is too thick it negates the advantages

The OEM cooler works well with MX-4 as I have tested it

The smallest amount of TIM is all you need, most have 20x more than needed

keni

The H110i was installed, at first, with the factory thermal pad. A few days ago, I replaced it with ArcticSilver 5. Some say to use a pea sized amount of thermal paste. I like a grain of rice sized amount dead center of the processor. In any case the system would overheat when you entered BIOS in less than a minute. If I let it load the OS (Linux Mint 18.2, 64-bit) it would idle for about 20-minutes until the CPU temp rose to 70 C. when I would shut it down before the CPU did around 78-80 C.  In Windows 7 Pro (as I can double boot) it would overheat and shut down before Windows completely loaded itself. When in Linux Mint, if I opened a browser, like Firefox, or any programs to put a load on it, the temp would rise quickly so that I had to shutdown before the CPU shutdown the system. In retrospection, this system being my first built for myself since I started tinkering with them in '73 (I decided to give up on store bought computers ) and my first experience with AMD chips as well as liquid cooling, and knowing the constant problems I've had with high temps and overheating shutdowns since I first fired up the system over a year ago, and the fact that installing the AMD factory heat-sink curing all those problems and giving me lower operating temps than the H110i GT ever did, I concluded that it was faulty all along. It's currently all boxed up nice and pretty waiting for Corsair, as it has a five year warranty, to provide me with an RMA number, which they said could be one or two business days. So should have it by Monday. When the replacement arrives, hopefully in a couple of weeks, and it's installed, and it works properly, I can then see the difference and if it keeps the CPU as cool as the AMD Cooler is at the moment.

Last night I was running one graphic intense program on one monitor and watching You Tube videos on the other at full screen and the CPU never got over 31 C. With the H110i GT, the temps would have been between 59-65 C. Currently it's about 89 F. here in Montana with the doors open and it's running 16 C to 30 C. depending on what I'm doing. The temp readings are done though LM-Sensors on most Linux systems.  It can be done through a terminal window or through a graphical interface such as Psensors which also gives you a nice graph over time.

I did check out your Arctic MX-4 suggestion on their website. I might have to order some. The Arctic Silver 5 was just what a local, small town, computer shop had on the shelf and I didn't have to wait a week or so for a USPS delivery.

hardcoregames™

I have a page on TIM that I posed serveral years ago, and its still relevant today

THERMAL INTERFACE MATERIAL – HARDCORE GAMES™

I also added an image to the post to show the microscopic effects

even a rice grain worth is more than is needed, use 1/2 that much

keni

Well, I do always buy short grained rice. I did follow the advice on Arctic Silver's website and tinted the heatsink and metal cap as they say it lessens the break-in time and you achieve maximum performance in less time. They say this will ensure filling in the microscopic valleys in the metal where the CPU cores contact the heatsink. Perhaps it does. Perhaps not.  I just like to experiment with different methods and learn. Something about empirical evidence that fascinates me.  I do, however, think a half grain of rice-sized TIM dot right over the center core or cores, where you need it, is better than covering the whole metal cap. Thanks for your link to your TIM article. I'm off to check it out.

hardcoregames™

remember that the surface has defects at the micron level, very very small which is all that is needed to be filled

keni

When I read Arctic Silver's reasoning behind tinting the heatsink and the metal cap on the CPU itself, it seemed very logical to fill in those micron level defects which is mainly why I did so. Also, you might be happy to know, after reading your TIM article above, I ordered some MX-4 to use when the replacement Corsair H-110i GT arrives.  I do know, with the AMD stock heatsink in place presently, I am a very happy camper. No excessive heat spikes no matter what I load and no overheating shutdowns by me or the AMD 8350. It's like 10.2 C. now with just Firefox, Dropbox and Thunderbird loaded.

I'm hoping the replacement Corsair H-110i GT will confirm that the original one was defective when installed. Like the machine overheating and shutting down when upgrading the Linux kernels and you have to then reload the OS, open the terminal and clean up the mess such a crash creates. My Intel Celeron 2.30Ghz CPU laptop never overheated upgrading kernels.

hardcoregames™

That larger cooler with a very small amount of MX-4 should last 5 years at least

keni

I agree it should last 5-years at least. The MX-4 arrived today. And the faulty (Corsair's word not mine) H110i  GT was shipped to Corsair's RMA place in Hayward, California yesterday afternoon; it's currently in Salt Lake City and should arrive in Hayward by the end of the day on Friday the 13th. Paul, the Corsair representative handling the RMA on their support website tells me, after receiving the unit, it will be about three days until the replacement unit is shipped.  So, in about a week or so I should have the replacement unit installed. Using "very little dab" of Arctic MX-4 which is like Brylcreem: "A little dab will do you"

As for the AMD FX-8350. Psensor tells me it's currently 10.4 C. with a low of 3 C. and a max temp of 36 C. over the course of the past 7.03 hours since reboot. Machine is stable. No sudden heat rises loading stuff, no shutdowns since removing the faulty H110i GT and installing the AMD factory heat-sink.  

hardcoregames™

I used MX-4 with my Phenom II X4 965 and the Hyper-212 for long time and it never overheated no matter how much I overclocked it

The OEM cooler is also good but the larger Hyper 212 is able to overclock more

At stock speed the OEM cooler with MX-4 should last 7-10 years

keni

Well, from the time I contacted Corsair on Sept. 28, It took 23 days to obtain the RMA number, ship the faulty H110i GT to Corsair in Hayward, Calf and to receive the replacement unit which arrived this morning. I was surprised to see that Corsair sent an H115i GT as the replacement. A newer version with a different pump head on it.  The system has been up and running for about an hour now with the H115i installed. Temps are 8-12 C with a min of 5 C. and a max of 22 C. Over all the system appears just as stable as it was with the factory AMD heat-sink -- but maybe 10 degrees cooler. I decided to go with the  Corsair factory TIM installed on the pump for a week or two before installing the MX-4.  That way I can obtain some temperature values to compare with the MX-4 values later on. 

hardcoregames™

MX-4 is much longer lasting, I have seen it on a Celeron I was using as a file server and it has lasted 5 years so far and it still works fine.

Arctic suggests at least 7 years, depends on operating temperatures etc

keni

I'm sure the MX-4 will last much longer and be a bit cooler. I just set the H115i up in default, including the Corsair 140mm fans (instead of my blue led ones, and factory TIM to get some default temp readings to compare in a week or so with the MX-4. system is running 3-11C at the moment.  But, I think such low temps aren't that accurate as I heard the temps are more accurate at higher temperatures.

But I am interested in overclocking it a bit.  Had the 8350 up to 4.3 with the previous H110i, but that let to excessive temps and instability -- especially in Win 7 Pro. But I think the new H115i will solve those problems created by the Faulty H110i. Just glad that the overheating problem was solve with a warranty replacement cooler as I'm really saving up to throw in a couple 1080s to replace the  EVGA 4GB DDR3 GEFORCE GT 730 GPU that I ripped out of my old machine just to get this one up and running as I'm looking at some ASUS 28"  4K monitors to replace my two older Acer 22" ones that date back to like 2006 technology that are 1680X1050. 

Basically, I built the system living on a small VA pension using the "Part a month Club" method.

hardcoregames™

all the more reason for MX-4, so it lasts a long time.

no many can afford a new box annually

keni

I so agree and I've been thinking all day long that I need to shut the system down and spend a few minutes cleaning the factory TIM from the H115i's pump head and the CPU cap and install the MX-4 that's glaring at me here on my desk.  I've got a pretty good idea of the temps with the factory TIM now anyways. And figure that once I install the Arctic MX-4, I can set a pitcher of iced tea in the case to keep it well-chilled.

I totally agree that not many can afford a new box annually. Since the 8086 4.7MHz days, I've been averaging about 10 years per store purchased box. I expect to have this custom box for a while and just keep pulling things out and putting new ones in.   The next mission, however, is to rip out Cooler Master's funky drive cage in the Cosmo SE that does hinder airflow (and limit GPU size to 10.5 inches) and come up with one that allows a longer GPU while improving airflow.

keni

This morning, I shut down the system, removed the H115i's pump head, cleaned off all the Corsair factory TIM, then "tainted" the pump head and CPU metal cap with Arctic MX-4 to fill in the microgrooves then put a Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie dot of Arctic MX-14 in the center of the CPU medal cap and reassembled the machine.    Startup was about 8.6 C and it's 12-18 C now. 

hardcoregames™

keni wrote:

This morning, I shut down the system, removed the H115i's pump head, cleaned off all the Corsair factory TIM, then "tainted" the pump head and CPU metal cap with Arctic MX-4 to fill in the microgrooves then put a Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie dot of Arctic MX-14 in the center of the CPU medal cap and reassembled the machine. Startup was about 8.6 C and it's 12-18 C now.

Power down at night so that tension will squeeze the MX-4 into all the voids. Do this for a few cycles for thermal pumping.

bearcat22

I'm glad you got the heat issue worked out but I'm curious to how you can get your temps down to 8.6 C? I noticed another place you said 3 C. 0 C is freezing. Comfortable room temperature is about 20 C. Is your computer in a walk-in freezer? Lol. Or am I missing something?

mistered

The CPU temperature for the FX-8350 and similar CPUs is not reliable at idle. At idle it always reads too low. The temperature is more accurate while under load.

keni

I totally agree mistered that temp readings are more accurate at higher temps than lower ones.  And, as mentioned above, the BIOS temp would be much higher than lm-sensors via psensors. Like 4.1 C. presently.  And the difference between the BIOS and lm-sensors readings probably centers on lm_sensors not reading the FX-8350 temp algorithm properly.

keni

Well, bearcatt22, I totally agree that temperatures for the GX-8350 and similar CPUs are not reliable at idle.   I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 not MS Windows as the OS.  Linux uses:  "lm_sensors ( Linux-monitoring sensors), is a free open source software-tool for Linux that provides tools and drivers for monitoring temperatures, voltages, humidity  and fans.  It can also detect chassis intrusions..."  -- Wikipedia

Such reading can be obtained via a terminal window or using a graphical interface program called Psensors that's available in most Linux software distribution centers  It gives you nice pretty graphs over time of temperatures, percentages and rpms of various hardware.

Those temperature readings I mentioned, like the 3 C , which is a current reading as we write,  3.4 C to be precise, are lm_sensors readings as displayed in Psensors.

You might have noticed in one of the previous posts, that I mentioned that such low temps readings are unreliable or are more reliable at higher temps.   For example, if I  hopped into BIOS right now, and I have a Psensor reading of 8.5, the ASUS BIOS would say the system is about 30 C. at idle. And I'd kind of accept the BIOS reading as a lot more accurate.

Oh, and compared to the 70-80 C. temps with the faulty H110i installed, the system is, indeed, freezing presently.

I'm the last person to say the CPU min and value Temps below are accurate.  They're about as accurate as the motherboard's #3 max fan speed of 225,000 RPM.

Psensor - Temperature Monitor_004.png

Terminal_005.png

bearcat22

Yea, I'm think 30 C would be a more accurate temperature at idle. I guess it's really the load temperatures you havta worry about anyway. I'll be able to get my idle temps down to 0 C in a couple of months just by opening the window. I live in Saskatchewan and winter is coming. Lol.

keni

Actually, bearcat22, I'm on Win 7 Pro at the moment instead of Linux Mint 18.2. You know the joys of dual booting an OS.    Looking at the various temps displayed in Corsair Link 4, they range from 30.0 C.,25.0 C. and 27.0 C. on the motherboard sensors. the four HDs are 25.0 C., C. 27.0 C., 27.0 C., and 31.0 C ( a 12-year-old drive). The GPU is 31.0 C.  The H115i cooler 28.7 C. and the four temp sensors about the case read: 30.1 C., 25.7 C., 23.8 C. and 26.6 C. And the AMD FX-8350 package is reading 10.5 C.  -- which mimics Core Temp's individual readings of 11 C. for each Core.

Yea, so 30 C. was a good overall temp guess.   I was thinking of making an air duct, much like one leading from the front grill to the air breather of a car, to suck some of the upcoming Montana winter weather through wall, then the system and back out through the wall -- just to see if I can get it down to like -30 C. 

hardcoregames™

I use Windows 10 which is much more secure with security features galore.

keni

You know, hardcoregames, I'm an ol' PC-DOS and IMB-DOS person who started playing on Win 2.0 shortly after it's release on December 9, 1987 and pretty much played around with every version of Windows since then right up to the free and automatic, whether you wanted it or not, Win 10 version.  Within an hour of Win 10 loading on my laptop and desktop, I reformatted the two HD's and did a clean installation of  Win 7 Pro back upon them.  And even then had to spend months fighting Microsoft's attempts to re-install Win 10 upon those two machines.  And like a great number of people back then who didn't like what they saw Win 10 doing, I migrated to Open Source Operating Systems, like Linux Mint 18.2, and have been very happy at not having to pay a yearly rental on anti-virus software or maleware.  Almost never have to defrag the disks. Even cleaning trash turned from a daily task to almost never.  And too, like the  good old DOS days I have a terminal and I am in control of the machine again instead of MS.

And the best part of Linux Mint 18.3 is I can do a complete fresh install of the OS, and restore data from backups, and reinstall all software not contained in the Distro, in about two or three hours tops.  And the machine can update itself or install software without having to reboot (99.99% of the time).  Whereas, I've been working on reinstalling Win 7 Pro for three days now.  Almost got all the software back on that I need. And it's constantly telling me it needs to reboot after installing a program.

So I really have no idea of what Win 10 improvements or security enhancements have occurred since the "free upgrade" and,  I'm wise enough to know that there's no free lunch in the world. MS probably made billions lobbing that "free" upgrade off on a hell of a lot of computers around the world.  Many like my laptop that Microsoft's pre-check said it could run but, in actuality, it couldn't and MS actually caused it to crash and need a clean installation of  Win 7 Ultimate.

I have Win 7 Pro on my desktop for one specific reason, I really don't game, but I've been messing around with Microsoft's Flight Simulators since '84 and that's my thing and to run it, since it won't run in Wine (an emulator that lets Linux users run some Windows programs), I'm kind of stuck with it as I love flying around the world in FSX.    Also, it lets me use Corsair Link 4 to set the LED lighting in my box which will remain set when booting with Linux as well as the ASUS software for monitoring the system and overclocking it.

As for security, Linux Mint comes with a firewall program.  Most people never turn it on. And they run around the net every day with no firewall up, no anti-virus or malware programs running and almost never ever catch a nasty bug.

But Security on computers is much like the lock on your front door.  The lock's designed to keep honest people honest. The bad guys know how to break a window or two.  And when Microsoft is like your landlord with a master key --- are you really secure?   Millions of people around the world can see a Linux Distro's code and see what it's really doing.  Microsoft hide's theirs from their users. And if I want to change the Linux Mint 18.3 code running on my machine, I'm free to do so without violating someone;s copyright.

But, seriously, I've been thinking of getting a copy of Win 10 as it's getting to be that a lot of stuff won't run on anything less anymore.  Hopefully Win 11 will come out and it'll be like the difference between Window's Vista and Windows 7  - although I'm one of the few who never had a complain against Vista other than the one I have against all Operating systems:  The popup windows that says "Are you sure you want to do this."  Or those that ask for your administrator password when you're logged on as the administrator.  (Linux is really bad about asking for your password).

Kind of makes me want to walk up behind the software programmers and bop them alongside the head. 

Oh, system is running super cool with that Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Polka Dot of Arctic MX-4 installed.

hardcoregames™

I used MTS on a mainframe back in the good old days. Then came CP/M followed by the original IBM PC.. Back then machines were more expensive than they are now, today 1 million times faster and 1 thousand times cheaper.

keni

You got that right.  I remember buying a Texas Instrument SR-56, 100-step [ in BASIC ] calculator around '74 for about $130. A few years ago I picked up a calculator in a Dollar Store for $1.00 that does a lot more.

But I was happy in the mid-80s when they started manufacturing non-brand specific hds, memory and modems, as the prices started falling then. That let me put a 32 Mb HD in my Tandy 1000A, a 4.77Mhz machine, and a 512k memory board for a whopping 640k of mem not to mention a 300/1200 baud modem. I got those items from Zuckerboard as Tandy's prices were twice as much. Think that machine set me back about $1,400. There were also subtle differences between Tandy using MS-Dos and IBM using PC-DOS as well as character differences between each company's keyboard as I found out trying to learn ASSEMBLY from Peter Norton's "Assembly Language" book for the IBM PC as some stuff just wouldn't compile without a few extra days work. Finally broke down and bought an IBM keyboard for $100 designed to fit the Tandy.

I was happy to see the cassette drives give way to the 5.25" floppies and those to the 2.5' disks and those to CDs and DVDs. And you can pick up a 1tb drive online now for around $60 or so.  And, hopefully, the price will drop on the 1tb SSD soon so I can throw one of those in.

But the same problem existed in those "Good Old Days' as it does today:  Technology moves faster than most of us can afford to keep up with it.

Downloaded CPU-Z today and put a stress on the 8350 while running some other programs at the same time. Just couldn't get the temp above 35 C. which makes me love the Corsair H115i all that much better, although you and I know it was the Arctic MX-4.

BTW, I still have that old TI SR-56 and if I ever get around to tearing the rechargeable battery pack apart and throwing in some new batteries, it just might still work.