10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 2:32 AM by bluehoothoot

Having trouble removing drivers

bluehoothoot

I'm getting a new GPU and in preparation I'm purging all drivers of my dead R7 260X (RIP) from my system. I went through the add/remove programs list and removed the version of Radeon Crimson that shows up when I right click, the same one that runs in my system tray, so I'm guessing the primary GPU driver is gone. I didn't get any Crimson driver uninstaller though, it just disappeared and didn't ask for restart, and it was done in an instant with no screen blackouts in between like its said there would be. Is it properly uninstalled? I'm currently on my mobo GPU.

Also, there is another application in my add / remove list called ''AMD Software'' that is located in C / Program Files / AMD / CIM / Bin64 and occupies around 26mb of space. Whenever I try to uninstall it, it states that another instance is running and doesn't uninstall. How should I remove it?

FX 6300 @stock

GA 78LMT-USB3 rev 5.0

Currently on the mobo GPU because dGPU died

4GB RAM

Windows 10 64-bit

• Re: Having trouble removing drivers
          elstaci

try using DDU (latest) in safe mode to remove all AMD traces from your computer. Go to options and check mark "Remove folders" even if it says it might be unsafe.

This is the official link to download the latest DDU : Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.7.2 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum

kingfish

Uninstall the old drivers using the computer control panel > 'uninstall a program' > choose AMD and uninstall everything:

Screenshot_1 (15).png

Screenshot_1 (21).png

Reboot into SAFE MODE > run DDU and let it restart your computer. Install the new drivers. Reboot.

Screenshot_2y.png

bluehoothoot

OK guys, fast forward to today I got my new GPU, an RX 550.

I installed the card onto the mobo but don't get any output from it (ie no signal message), but my BIOS is set to initialize GPU for display. But on the other hand, mobo iGPU doesn't work when the new dGPU is inserted so it seems the card has been recognized. I think a setting in Windows is preventing me from getting output from the GPU. I switched the default display in BIOS to iGPU and managed to get output from it. When I look at my device manager, I see another display driver than the mobo's HD 3000 called ''MS Basic Display Driver'' and in CPUZ I see another GPU as well. So the card is functioning, but didn't boot up to display default set to pcle, so I'm wondering if there is any setting in Windows that needs to be changed. I can obviously disable the HD 3000 via device manager but that is a last resort since I haven't got any output from the card yet and don't want to kill my only display output. So is there any Windows setting I can alter or driver I can install before trying that?