6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2017 9:44 AM by stanley83

Linux Mint 18.2 (Ubuntu 16.04 based) - no drivers are listed on AMD site.

dmclean5555

I have 6 pc's using Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04 based) with AMD HD6450 graphics cards and I want to upgrade to Linux Mint 18.2 (Ubuntu 16.04 based) but no drivers are listed on your site. I need to be able to adjust overscan on 3 of my monitors. Are there some workarounds or are there some betas I could try? Thanks in advance.

• Re: Linux Mint 18.2 (Ubuntu 16.04 based) - no drivers are listed on AMD site.
          ray_m

Unfortunately, Linux Mint 17.3 is not currently a supported operating system.

olduser

To add some detail to this issue that I think is important - Mint Linux is built exclusively on the Long Term Support stream of Ubuntu Linux.  To simply observe that "Linux Mint 17.3 is not currently a supported operating system"  is also to say that AMD do not support all the Ubuntu users who choose the stability of the LTS versions over the more leading edge Ubuntu features.

While I understand that AMD's programming resources and testing budget are limited, that seems to me to be a rather poor choice.  Have you considered the benefits of supporting the LTS stream rather than the leading edge one?  I can see two benefits:  a longer period of viability for the drivers thus created, and (obviously) support for all the Mint users, who according to user surveys, apparently out-number the Ubuntu users.

There is another side you may not appreciate; Ubuntu add to their distro links to Amazon, and other revenue-raising elements that are not desirable for games.  So game-oriented users, the primary market for the card I purchased, may not be so keen to use this distro, regardless of it's other qualities.

The lack of support leaves me looking at a 4K display that works, sort of, without any sound, and without proper video file playback as the background is visible through the video foreground, and two other monitors sitting blank beside this main one.

I will try adding a second, much older and slower, Radeon alongside this new RX Vega 64 as a work-around.  If I can fit it in with the other cards in the motherboard, and if these two dissimilar boards will work together.  Otherwise this new card will be sitting in it's box; presumably until the next Mint Linux release.  Not what I had hoped for from a new card purchase, and certainly not in line with my past experience of ATI/AMD graphics cards.

stanley83

I'm running LMDE with an hd6450 using the default driver "firmware-linux-nonfree vsn 0.43" and I have a minor problem in that when I leave the machine idle, on my return I put in my password and quite often the colors are quite a bit off.  Looks like the pallet got hit.  Work round open the display icon change from 1600 x 900 to a bit less than back to 1600 x 900 and okay for a bit.  I tried updating the driver to the Radeon amd-catalyst-15.9-linux-installer-15.201.1151-x86.x86_64.zip and that was a disaster.  Fortunately I had clonezilla backed up the entire disk so I could get back to my starting point.  It had bombed the X11 stuff seems that driver is not supported in linux.