45 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 5:08 PM by karathanasisathanasios

RX 480 colour screen and freeze

karathanasisathanasios

I keep getting my system to freeze at a single colour screen ( orange , black , green , gray , pink )

then hear a long noise for 1 to 15 min then total freeze mostly not even restart

i am attaching a full system report and 3 screen pics

As a quick system summary

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

AMD FX-8350 30 °C

32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

MSI 990FXA-GD80 (MS-7640) (CPU 1) 50 °C

S23B350 (1920x1080@60Hz)

8192MB ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics (MSI) 46 °C

119GB SanDisk SDSSDP128G (SSD)

3726GB Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 (SATA)

the operating system is on the Seagate disk instaled

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB

Realtek High Definition Audio

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

i am trying 3 months now and i no mater what settings i change or if i do drivers clean install or OS new install from bios nothing works

i am using an adaptor to connect the monitor to the VGA

should i trow the rx 480 away ?

btw my PSU is corsair 850w

Ο χρήστης Αθανάσιος Καραθανάσης επεξεργάστηκε το μήνυμα. I remove a file that show some of my application preferences and lifestyle i plan to post a similar 1

Ο χρήστης Αθανάσιος Καραθανάσης επεξεργάστηκε το μήνυμα. i added a few files / txt

• Re: RX 480 colour screen and freeze
          karathanasisathanasios

I should have also said that it never freezes on start up or on when i use simple applications or writing code or using the internet but on  random on only some games . I have yet to found a link of the games as there of different years and different requirements from the VGA but only happens in some and at a random point. But mostly dxd games .

Reinstalling drivers  or os or redistributes or dxd or changing settings only influences the color of screen or the frequency of random freeze on colour screen or if it will also shutdown or restart  . This is driving me crazy   .

rebelyell

dont forget to click apply when your done moving the yellow slider... apply is up top usually.

rebelyell

once you change those settings do a reboot please.

rebelyell

im guessing you do alot of graphic rendering with all that ram trying to stay under that 1333mhz max mark . you do realize that , the 8350 cpu/nb is under a ton of stress right..! and adding a 8gb gpu added more, just want to let you know that. so im guessing you stabilized the cpu/nb  and nb to handle all of that correct?

i ran same thing for years but i wanted speed for gaming so i ran 1866 at 1914mhz or 1732mhz until i moved up 2400mhz which was a waiste because that 8350 could use all 2400mhz anyway it just put more load on it..

rebelyell

but i ran 16 gb not 32 . 32 was un doable at my speeds ofcourse

rebelyell

if i was you i would make sure your cpu/nb is volted correctly and look for a new monitor than can use a hdmi or dp port.

rebelyell

yea it could just be a simple adapter issue is what im thinking .. if not its a multi issue.

karathanasisathanasios

goodplay  Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread and give me advice .

as for the various unknown errors  is possible by my making a electrical power off after i stay in a freeze state over 5 min

as for most OS errors you mention i have reinstalled from dos or effi the OS  many times no changes and check  integrity  nothings pops up

and i did tell i get a freeze screen is not errors expected the error report expected ? as for afterburner i installed it for 1st time 1 or 2 days ago and just run it today at the morning so i dot think that the issue . as for the winupdate  fails  i can imagine various reasons as having a more resent version like the one in the package installed that make it irreverent also the issue is persistent even in a fresh installed OS so i think that non relevant . as for T_rr_nts i name that way my old iso form games but it is not like at my steam or origin games or the new ones like adromeda i am not getting ( Freeze screen , etc  ) in none on my iso tools i geting a error as none of my applications . But the issue is i get Freeze screen even in a new installed os with just 1 modern game ( even having just install os and try to run a strategy i get Freeze screen and i have point it above )

But please tell me how it is a error how i name my files "T_rr_nts" in part of the path ? i was planing it to make a private to my library so as to can fast get them from any pc in the home or my laptop , i dont see how i name a file plays a role ? and i also get errors on my steam games as i point but only on pc not any errors at laptop that has the same tools / apps / games / tools / data / and it is also win 10 x64

The only  errors i see is me cutting power after a freeze screen and ( few errors of my of when i try to run a program in wrong local language witch never bother me )

goodplay  Thanks for your time and reply , but it not answer why it happens at a fresh install os  and i get nothing at stress tests

While i do thank you for your time your reply only confuse a reader with mistakes in many levels maybe you haven't read my post and rush fast trough my report ?

goodplay  Thanks for the time and reply  

goodplay

I was pointing out errors found in your (old ?) report, which you may have wanted to check on. If you don't believe they are a problem, that's up to you.

Now,your dxdiag (dated 15/7) shows livekernelevent141 (usually related to TDR), you also had a bluescreen, radar pre leak on xbirth (did that crash ?), also livekernelevent/watchdog/watchdog. dump file ?(might be worth you taking a look).As i said before,not being able to translate them.......

Haven't looked through the new systemreport.

I unsub from this thread(to save confusion), hope you solve your problems.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                karathanasisathanasios

yea that will be a good idea as you also confuse on this reply . It is not that i think they are not a problem the errors that you found but rather irrelevant as they you could also see there are minor errors and information logs of events that are totally out by timing / date by any crucial error like me pulling the electricity off after a 5 min total freeze of screen  . Note that livekernelevent141 may be referring to TDR but it is "hardware stop working" in its general form and that what i get a freeze of the GPU but my tread is to answer that so yea thats a critical error and in  bluescreen i had i had freeze for more than  5-15 min and if not mistaken TDR is 2 sec to 2 min ????

"ivekernelevent/watchdog/watchdog. dump file" i am not sure what that is but i will try to take a look . i do intend to install linux as a 2nd OS just to point out it is not a OS issue because if it was there where all the people on win 10 x64 with rx 480 complaining about there OS and drivers will had this issue under control by now plus i have install the OS a few times even from latest Microsoft site install disk maker with no noticeable differences 

And i am thankful for both your time and advice but if you dont know a subject try not to misslead others or criticise there file naming as something bad or disastrous i know that you are good intended as  anyone trying to help an other person but i was a bit angry at that . I see you like to help but maybe put a bit of thought to your reply .

Once more i like to express my thanks for your time and advice it is real good to try to help a person asking for advice and i appreciate it .

rebelyell

now that the main issue is found we need to find the cause. here is a link to microsoft read this and i will also see what i can find to fix your problem.

Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) | Microsoft Docs

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  karathanasisathanasios

livekernelevent141 may be referring or be relevent to TDR but it is more acuretly  "hardware stop working" in its general form and that is what i get a freeze of the GPU but my tread is to answer that .

I dont get a TDR or the system will had recover on its own from it with a windows bar notification . What i get is a freeze for more than 5-15 min so it may be relevant but not quite there . in the last 3 months i have only seen verry few times ( maybe 20 or less ) the screen blink for maybe few sec  . Do you have a suggestion in relation to TDR if notmistaken the win 10 and dxd have upgraded files from the win 8 era when this was more common  ?

rebelyell

32 gb 1333mhz is max . i am sure you know this . but this does put alot of stress on the cpu/nb and the northbridge chip  NB . could you check the temperature of the NB chip also check the cpu/nb voltage and cpu/nb temperatures under load.

if the NB chip gets over 50c 54c it is to hot could cause motherboard damage over time.  the cpu/nb will begin to throttle at 59c 61celcius  .. i am thinking it is possible your dram controller may need a little more voltage to stabilize or it is too hot already.

my next question is do you need to have that much ram for your needs? 32gb is alot and would be needed for doing 3d modeling and rendering but not for gamming at all. 16gb would show better in gaming if this is all your basic needs are.

it is possible your freezing is due to over temperature of the cpu/nb or just undervolted.

karathanasisathanasios

i did remove 3 stacks of ram droping from 32 sys ram to 16  ram but not changes the freeze screen in games persist .

i am thinking in few days to instal a 2 OS probably linux to totally rule out a win system error even through i dont believe in it  but i will net to move some large records / data first as a fail safe of losing them .

I love to here an idea and advice .

As for your question i always believed until now the more resources the better or i will not had trown my old card that was many years outdated but still working that had a similar clock to the rx 480 but only something like 2+gb total card ram  

Thanks you for the constant helpful advice i do looking forward to any new advice .