1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 12:43 AM by sasch

Radeon R9 200 black screen

dzcoyle

I have a Radeon R9 200 card and over the last month, periodically and seemingly randomly the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds, then comes back. Sometimes it happens a few times an hour, sometimes it happens very often over the course of half an hour.

It happens when I'm gaming, but also when I'm using chrome or doing other things on the PC. The monitor is still on (the light is still on), sound continues and if I keep typing it shows when the screen is back on.

I also occasionally get black/grey flickering across the bottom of the screen.

Have had my pc with same graphics card for over a year, and the issue has only started happening over the last month or so. I haven't changed any graphics settings, and it happens both with the most recent software update and when I rolled back to 17.5.2 (what I have at the moment).

My PC is running Windows 10 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated - it's really annoying!

Thanks

Darren

• Re: Radeon R9 200 black screen
          sasch

Hi Darren,

Had the same problem but worse now. Card (Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 8 GB, 2 years old) is still running in VGA-mode right now but can't install ANY driver since 4 days. It started with black screen on booting after the windows logo, before login-screen. Tried to install driver new then and reinstalled win 10 after the driver installation didnt work (any driver). Found  a lot of treads about this issue in this forum and in others - most don't lead any further. Wrote to Sapphire and got a short answer: Try card in different PC or card is damaged. Lot of people say its the VRAM that is damaged. Some say "baking" of the card might help to fix corroded soldering. It really helped some people I saw in YouTube and also read in this forum. I didnt try it. I bought a new NVIDIA card now with 5 years warranty from Zotac.

I think your card might be on the way there (hope not). If you still have warranty return it.