Fixed the driver crashings

andreluisos

i5 4690k

GA H97M-GAMING 3

16GB RAM

ASUS ROG RX 480 STRIX

EVGA 650W 80+ GOLD

WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT

Well, since the first day I installed the RX 480 Strix, I've been facing annoying driver crashes that lead to black screen for a couple of seconds. Sometimes, I get the "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" and "Radeon Settings: Host Application stopped working" errors, sometimes the screen just dims for a couple of seconds.

Windows' Event Visualizer shows "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has recovered"

I'm not the only one facing this issue and many of us have been posting it here and reporting to AMD's support center, without any answer.

I have realized most of the people facing this issues have either i5 4670k or i5 4690k, but few other people have another unlocked CPU.

Today I've tried underclocking my CPU. The stock clock is 3.5ghz and I made it 3.0ghz. It worked like a charm. It's been two days now and I haven't had a single crash.

Also, leave your memory clock stock.

I increased to clock to 3.4ghz, and it's still working. For some reason, Windows is setting the max clock to 3.3ghz atm (I don't know why).

All I know is that, as long as I don't overclock or reset the original clocks (which enables turbo boost), I'm not getting any driver crash.

I also added a QWORD (64bit) called "TdrDelay" with value "8" to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\TdrWatch" (NO QUOTES). I'm not sure if this is what fixed the crashes, tho.

I also switched my CPU to an i3 4130 (locked) and I didnt get any crash.

I'll let you guys updated.

Hope it helps and please let me know if this fixes your issue.

1.png

2.png

3.png