8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2017 3:18 AM by buckrogers

Ryzen balance power plan from AMD causing high idle - low load voltage? 1.4+v's

middy

Hi all! So I noticed since I installed the ryzen balance plan amd released that I have fairly high idle - light load voltage. For example just browsing the web, with only firefox opened for about 20 minutes, with a few tabs, no videos, my idle voltage average was 1.42v's with my 1800x. i was pretty spooked by this since 1.42v's seem way to excessive. especially considering amd stated to keep it around 1.35v's for 24/7 usage... i'm using a crosshair vi hero if that matters and has been tested with both stable 1002 and the current beta found on overclock.net, 0081 that includes the new microcode update. my cpu settings are all on default as well. nothing manually changed. so auto voltage, auto bclk, and xfr (performance boost) is on as well. i also saw other users in the overclock.net crosshair thread notice the high average voltage as well from just doing basic, light stuff.

also i noticed my 1800x likes peaking at 1.5v's. frequently. any load, regardless how big or small, it will shoot from something like 0.600v's straight to 1.5v's.. i could understand a peak of 1.52v's but an average of 1.35v's but peak of 1.5v's with an average of 1.42v's for 20 minutes just browsing reddit when xfr is enabled? i guess these high voltages wouldn't concern me... if it wasn't so common

for the time being i disabled xfr in the bios and voltages dropped down to a more saner 1.2(x)v's range... but it seems like that breaks amd's ryzen balance plan. my 1800x now doesn't down clock below 3.6ghz. it's like if i had high performance profile loaded. voltage still drops at idle thanks to c-states but i don't know how stable the cpu is at 0.600v's at 3.6ghz sitting at desktop.

i used the latest stable hwinfo to monitor. anyways, is this by design? are these voltages safe? is it fine to have an average voltage of 1.4v's just browsing reddit? also is it stable to keep the high performance profile but letting the cpu voltage drop at idle without the frequency following?

• Re: Ryzen balance power plan from AMD causing high idle - low load voltage? 1.4+v's
          middy

bumping mostly because it would be nice to have some level of clarification of how voltages work with XFR and what truly are safe voltages. i would like to re-enable xfr if i could, if its safe, because the extra performance it gives does help. i noticed in AIDA64 my L1 cache results are slightly lower and L1 through L3 cache latency increased slightly at 3.6ghz compared to when I had, and have xfr enabled.

edit:

i would also like to know what are safe SoC voltages. the crosshair vi hero atm is setting SoC voltage to 1.15v's for 3200 speed ram. is 1.15v's safe? i've seen so many conflicting reports in this regard with those saying keep it below 1.0v's, don't go over 1.2v's, 1.25v's is safe, extra.

• Re: Ryzen balance power plan from AMD causing high idle - low load voltage? 1.4+v's
            randa71

Hi all,

i have the same question because i have an Asus Prime B350Plus and a 1700X. Voltages are exactly the same...everything is at default and i'm using latest bios version..---Anyway two weeks ago, i've asked to Asus technical support if these high voltages are correct, and they've answered me yes....So according to Asus these voltages are correct...

In any case, i think that everything is fine.....System is very stable....temps are ok...and i don't want to believe that Asus, if these voltage are too high, they haven't already fixed it.....My CPU VID, for example, with XFR active peaks to 1.55V....and Vid is a value written by AMD.....perhaps these CPUs need high voltages with xfr active...

middy

yeah its why i created this thread to get some clarification from amd themselves. they stated don't go above 1.35v's for overclocking yet at stock the processor will use 1.4 - 1.5v's? that's confusing.

same with SoC voltage since it seems like asus and gigabyte are stating different things. asus says don't go above 1.2v's on the SoC, while gigabyte says up to 1.25v's is fine. while other users are saying don't go above 1.0v. right now my SoC is 1.15v's because my crosshair is auto setting 1.15v's for my ram running at 2933mhz... which is annoying because this is a g.skill flare x kit thats designed for "ryzen" and yet i can't run it at 3200mhz -_-. cold boot causes a tripple boot with it defaulting back to 2400 after the third reboot. but once the machine is up and running i can re-set it back to 3200 and it works... but its annoying to do so. so i just keep it at 2933 14-14-14-34 since that works. so far -_-

randa71

i think that when AMD stated don't go above 1.35v, AMD refers to the maximum full load voltages (100% CPU LOAD, 1.35 isn't the absolute max voltage...if so all Ryzen CPUs should be burned...), not in the case of a slightly load on the CPU, for example, when XFR became active....In any way, in my bios, CPU voltage is set to auto and the valus is 1.35v..infact when in full load voltage never exceed 1.30 and temps are fine....but when XFR became active, core voltage goes up to 1.52 or 1.54...but only for a very short period of time....remember that a clock of 3.9 ghz or 4.1ghz are the real limits for this CPU...and it's possible that voltages must be so high to reach these limits......and remember that if CPU voltages weren't correct,, i think that system should not be stable..... that's my opinion.

middy

yeah but 1.42v's average for 20 minutes straight doesn't seem like a "short while" when just browsing reddit :/ in the end its just all speculation because amd has yet to really clarify voltages for stock running ryzens. like is only the cores boosting to 4.1ghz getting 1.4-1.5v's while the other cores don't? i know intels broadwell-e work that way where the stronger, boosting core operates at a higher voltage than the rest.

on another note its been pretty nice running with xfr disabled because my fans are not going nuts trying to cool the processor. when xfr was enabled and the slightest load caused 1.5v's my fans would spin up and down constantly and generally sound like a jet engine in my room when under medium load. with xfr disabled and staying around 1.2v's my fans are A LOT quieter. i understand why amd did their aggressive fan profile thing with the offset but man its annoying.

rawllist

hello i had the same issue with my 1700x i just overclocked it from 3.4 to 3.5 and i don't have high voltages anymore 1.33 was the max, tempetures are still high when idled idk why.

buckrogers

Have you ever seen your 1800X go below 3.6GHz under any configuration? If so, what power plan + BIOS settings is it?

I ask because I built a mini-ITX 1800X system and ran into a bunch of problems with the fan due to the CPU constantly upvolting/clocking/heating up on just browsing. I never got mine to go below 3.6GHz and concluded it was just the way the 1800X was just designed to be. An X-series "feature" for more performance, less/no downclocking.

My solution in the end was just to buy a 1700 and swap it out. All my problems are resolved, the machine is still fast and I'm no longer struggling with this. But I never tried disabling XFR and that may have worked for me, but still wouldn't be ideal if it doesn't go below 3.6GHz + 1.2Vcore. Which looks like the best-case you're getting out of yours. That's not really good enough for mITX.

My 1700 is dipping down to 2.4GHz right now on 0.9Vcore but jumps to 1.3V nonstop. That's what I expected my 1800X to do when I bought it, as aggressive downclocking as it does XFR. With the 1700, under no conditions have I gotten the fan to spin up in regular desktop use.

An aside, I learned in my testing that the +20C offset is up to the motherboard to use that temp for the fanspeeds. Mine does not, it was using the real temp but still hitting 70C while browsing due to the voltage ramp up. I still have my 1800X (for sale), but without a doubt won't be putting it back in again.