12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 1:26 AM by spinalfailed

So is this how it's going to be?

iboolguy

I pay 308 US Dollars to get the RX 480 8GB from MSI, the gaming X version, just so it keeps crashing? games don't run the way they should, nothing's smooth, even my old R9 270X 4GB ran smoother.
      what is going on? I'm really confused and stressed out about this.

And this is some of what happens, screen flickers, then goes black, says it detects no signal, takes a deep breath, then goes back to life, and a notification from the graphics driver pops up saying the WattMan crashed..

That happens alllllllllllllllll the time, it can happen minute-ly, it can happen second-ly, and sometimes, when the screen goes black, the whole PC restarts.

I have no third party apps installed, involving overclocking the gpu or anything else, nothing.

For example, I was recording in-game GTA5 making a short clip, showing how buggy and laggy the game is because of the gpu and drivers, guess what happened? blue screen of death... talking about some information saying "Stop code: VIDEO TDR FAILURE, What failed: atikmpag.sys"

I bought this card from amazon, I have tons of clips showing different crashes and freezes etc, I'm now going to edit all that and upload it to youtube, put it in my review on amazon, and mark it one star instead of the 5 I initially gave it.

Nothing has worked for me, older driver versions back to 16.6, other versions of windows on with same RX 480 and the same drivers, all the crashes and problems remain, now I completely have no idea what to do.. returning the card to amazon will cost me more than the card itself, or waiting for AMD to fix the driver.. I don't know.. or maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, direct me on what to check.

Message was edited by: iBoolGuy, sorry for my initial post, I was a bit mad..

• Re: So is this how it's going to be?
          spacemanrob

Reinstall Windows as a last resort, If that don't work then send card back to Amazon.

iboolguy

I already tried the card on a different windows as I mentioned, on win7 professional 64-bit activated. nothing changed.
              But, how can I make sure that the GPU is faulty, I mean, what if the card is actually ok but it's the drivers?? that besides shipping it back to amazon is going to cost me a bit too much..

spinalfailed

I wasn't sure what you meant by other versions of Windows.  Now i understand.  Unfortunately electronics are fragile items.  While it is incredibly frustrating to live in another country and suffer a DOA item it does happen.  If it were mine I'd check for a motherboard BIOS update before giving up on it(I can be stubborn) but it most likely is either a factory defect or it was damaged in shipping.  I know that's not what you want to hear but if you have tried it in another system as well as yours with no change, then it needs to be exchanged.

iboolguy

I don't think my bios has any updates, I already updated a while ago I was testing overclocking, and there aren't any new updates. I'll contact amazon and see what they have to say about this. and btw, this is a video about the problem: MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB | all kinds of crashes/freezes/blue screens of death.. - YouTube

spinalfailed

I have the same GPU in my system and have zero issues. I had it's predecessor before it, an MSI 390 Gaming x with zero issues that one of the other members on here is using (well was until recently when they also won an MSI 480).  I also have it's cousin in my HTPC, an MSI 1060 Gaming x 6gb that has no issues. I'm just trying to show you that it isn't a widespread MSI issue.  I understand it's incredibly frustrating but don't give up on the brand because of 1 issue.  If Amazon won't do anything contact MSI on Twitter, explain to them the situation and see if they will help.

iboolguy

I actually gave the card a last shot yesterda, got into safe mode of windows, uninstalled the drivers all the tools everything, then got back normal and installed 17.4.1... and listen to this, The computer is literally Unusable as long as the driver is running, only way to get around it is to quit all AMD apps through task manager, which is a no no.

So what I did? contacted amazon, told them everything, showed them my video, showed them the detailed review I made, and they responded, they told me to send the card back, and, the exciting part, to email them the shipping costs so they refund it! I wrapped my baby up and it's ready to go.

now, there is one last piece of help I hope you help me with, they asked me to ship the thing with an "economical mail method"!!!

What does that mean? does it mean, the cheapest way possible ? since it says "economical"? and, is that the normal post office shipping?

Or does that mean I should ship it with DHL or some other paid shipper!

spinalfailed

Before you blame the GPU lets step back a second.  Please list all of your PC specs.  You were running an AMD card before this one, did you use the AMD driver uninstall utility or DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) before shutting down and removing the previous GPU?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          iboolguy

Alright,

cpu: i5 4690K 3.5GHz
                          cooler: H110i GTX
                          ram: corsair vengeance 4*4GB @1600MHz

mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
                          ssd: hyperX savage 480GB (games and windows installed on this)
                          another 3TB WD black (does not have any apps installed on it, but just for good measure)
                          what else? power supply: corsair VS 650 watt %85 gold
                          a huge case and 4 fans (good cooling) hint: cpu temps NEVER go above 50C, the hottest I've ever seen the CPU was a 55C in July
                          and windows 10 64bit pro latest updates etc

Now the confusing part, yes, I have had AMD gpu before, I mentioned that in the top of my post, an R9 270X 4GB from Gigabyte, and it ran on the very exact same components, and it was running really really great for what to expect from it.

I've been through the uninstallation process many many times to be honest, I've uninstalled the drivers via control panel, tried uninstalling it via device manager > display adapter, tried uninstalling it via the driver utility itself. Nothing, absolutely nothing, changed.