40 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2018 10:26 AM by linda079

Ryzen 1700X 50 Celsius when Idle

nargren

Hello,

I have a Ryzen 1700X in an ASUS prime x370 PRO motherboard (default settings, untouched BIOS) with 16 GB of RAM and a Coolermaster 450W PSU. 

The CPU cooler is a Bequiet! pure rock 150 W TDP cooler, applied properly with thermal paste and tightened to the CPU bracket.

Problem:

The cpu shoots up to 50+ degrees Celsius even in the BIOS, let alone when idle. Under load it goes up easily to around 75C.

AMD Ryzen master reports rarely temperatures below 50 C. After boot it starts from around 45 and then sets around 50-55 when idle. Room temperature around 19-20C currently.

CPU-z reports core voltage around 1.428 V, so do a few other hardware monitor tools and the BIOS monitor as well. Again, this is the stock BIOS without any changes.

The BIOS is the latest version as of writing this post.

Are these normal temperatures for the 1700X? They seem quite high for me, being idle.

• Re: Ryzen 1700X 50 Celsius when Idle
          arcticwind

The CPU compatibility list for that motherboard says the 1700x requires BIOS version 0502.  Is that the version you are using?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            redfury

It is quite a normal temperatures for Ryzen CPU with non high end air cooling system.At least in BIOS and under load.

I would say you have a very good temperature under load(for this CPU)

Ryzen is a very hot CPU.

redraider

"Ryzen is a very hot CPU."

No it isn't. I'm running AIDA64 Stress Test and it's went up from 31 C to 54 C per the Ryzen Master application air cooled with a Cooler Master 212 EVO.  Is that "very hot" according to you.  You have been looking at too many websites by people who don't account for the 20 degree offset is the only reason I can think of for why you would say that.

susul

These are very high temperatures for your cooler. Maybe you put too much thermal paste when you installed the cooler.

What thermal paste did you use?

jigzaw

Hi Nargen,

There was post about the be quiet pure rock not delivering the cooling performance due to the small base and the way it was finished. However on my end, it was best I ever as it kept my FX 8370 on check running KeyShot. It was far better than the Wraith cooler that came with it. Did you spread the thermal paste as a film or a bead on the center? I use the bead on the center and 4 dots half from center to corner. It doesn't throttle down even on a 38 degree celius day.

nargren

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I will find some reviews on the cooler as well. Generally it looks OK to me in manufacturing quality.

However, the clearance between the GPU and the vertically placed CPU fan is quite low, maybe 2 cm. This could impact the cooling in 2 ways: the air I take to the CPU is heated to some extent by the GPU; the low clearance restricts the CPU fan intake. Nevertheless, there should be sufficient airflow in the case to avoid these issues to some degree at least.

I have used a small amount of thermal paste and smeared it all over the surface of the CPU, equally, providing good contact over the whole surface.

jigzaw

Hi. In general for AMD processors, it recommended to have that bead at the center, as AMD IHS is slightly convex compared to Intel's slight concave. The be quiet is also slightly convex on the center as the very fine circular machine grooves. I use to apply thermal paste on the whole IHS because it was common on pre-applied CPU heat sinks. Are you over clocking the cpu as your voltage is on the high side?  On the reviews it is recommended the voltage on air should not be set beyond 1.375V, 1.4V on a high end AIO radiator. I think the 1.428V is for the boost not on idle.

By the way, I am just waiting for the availability of the Asrock B350 Pro4 here and will mate it with a Ryzen 1700 or 1700x if my budget allows it. I already got G.Skill Ripjaws 16 GB x2 DDR4_3000 CL14-14-14-34 today before price increase of all memory prices took effect.

One thing I really like to know is the I/O performance, does open and save large files better? I think this was the handicap for FX8370. I am working relatively model with almost 3000 parts and with drawings of 50 sheets. Saving the drawing file with 50 sheets about 2 mins. and model about 45 seconds. If it will be down by less than a minute for drawings and 20 seconds on the 3d model file, it translates to productivity and avoid the boring zzzzzzz repetitive task of saving.

nargren

I have removed the heat sink, cleaned it and the CPU as well and then only applied the "5 dots" (centre, and half way to the 4 corners).

BIOS showed the same temperatures, around 55 C, so no change.

Downgrading to BIOS 502 helped to bring temperatures back to 42 C.

jigzaw

Usually while on the bios the temperature is if you are still configuring the set up as usually run most of the cores at base speed. Once you get to Windows as it goes past stabilize loading, the idle temperature drops as the CPU load manage by OS. I will monitor the temp findings as I will get my ryzen cpu and motherboard soon

nargren

Just an update. A new AMD Radeon driver update came out and I upgraded. Mind it, a GPU driver update.

Now my CPU's temperatures are back up to previous levels of high 50C idle, 70-80 during load. BIOS unchanged, of course, still 502.

Core voltages are reported as 1.55V, I definitely did not change that.

I do not see the correlation. Tried to downgrade the graphics driver, it didn't help so I am stuck again.

jigzaw

Something is  not right on your system. I am not familiar with your motherboard, but can you increase the minimum fan speed to 40-50%. With Asrock it stepped 1-9 before running full. On my current system Asrock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0 my minimum fun setting is at #3 for the Be Quiet Pure Rock. I am also using Arctic MX4. I already have my Asrock AB350 Pro4 but still don't have a Ryzen 7 cpu yet. I think the offset is there to adjust the fan rise sooner so it will be running peak before the CPU hits 60 degrees.

I actually bought a Cooler Master JETFLO 120 95 CFM  at 2000 rpm along with my Be Quiet Pure Rock as it's original fan has a lower rpm max at 1500 rpm and cfm at 80. But it seems the original Be Quiet fan was doing a great job.

I can't write anything else as I don't have my projected Ryzen system up and running yet.

nargren

I am fairly sure that my CPU does not reach the 93C max as reported now, the only thing that makes me wonder is that I cannot figure out why the reported temperatures changed from one day to another. As said, I am using the older BIOS version of 502, with which I have previously resolved the crazy temperatures and my system was reporting sub 40C for idle and max. 70C during full load (running full load for hours).

I do not think that it would be a fan issue, for the same reason, yesterday it was fine.

I also get that temperature reports get "faked" to trigger higher fan speeds, but then again, why wasn't this the case until yesterday?

I will do a full troubleshooting later on today and get back with my findings.

adog97

THE PROBLEM IS THE BIOS 504

there is a bug in the bios 504 causing high voltage.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/746662-do-not-update-bios-on-asus-x370-pro-board/

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    shadowvrtwitter

I'm in trouble simiar situation. when idel, my 1700x's temp is 60~70 celcius with asrock x370 gaming k4(bios 1.63)

I reinstalled wraith max again and again, but no use.

may I ask you what is the mainborad you use? thanks

baxxter81

Same temperature with 1700X and "Asus Prime B350-Plus" with BIOS-Version 0503. CPU at 55-60°C in Idle. Downgrade to BIOS 0406 shows a lower temperature from 35-40°C in Idle and 50°C on load.

Sorry for my bad english

zedd137

Same here and very annoying. Asus Prime B350-Plus and Ryzen 1700X, with the current BIOS 0503 temperatures are much too high, 55..60°C in Idle and up to 95° with maximum load. Downgrading to 0406 everything is fine, Idle around 40°C maximum load goes up to the expected 75°C. The bad thing is, that starting at 75°C (which is really around 55°C) the BIOS set all fans to max speed so you can not get a silent system at all. For the moment I will stay with 0406 but there must be a fix from ASUS or AMD or I will throw out CPU and Mainboard and switch back to Intel.

savagebeastzero

Hey all,

In regards to why the R7 1700X and R7 1800X are both reporting higher than expected temperatures, they're both working as intended. Although it would have been useful at launch for AMD to broadcast this to users earlier to save some the headaches and confusion when monitoring, they finally elaborated as to why users are witnessing this even when some are utilizing high-end liquid, water or air coolers.

Below I have pasted one of the many articles covering this subject since AMD has disclosed the inner workings of the T-Control/tCTL in conjunction with the junction temperature (Tj), how it's altering the offset and thus reporting incorrect thermals via the sensor with the intention of creating a more aggressive native fan curve for both the R7 1700X and the R7 1800X.

Hopefully this gains visibility, so all R7 1700X and R7 1800X users can make sense of the confusing data they've received while monitoring. Hopefully this is corrected in a future update, so valid monitoring can commence as per usual with data reflective of each users cooling solution.

Have a nice day all.

Source: AMD / Reporting: Overclock3D.net / Author: Mark Cambell

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_r7_1800x_and_1700x_report_higher_temperatures_with_a_20_degree_offs…

Tjr7.png

hargreve.inc@inbox.ru

Hi, I would not strain if you were in your place, try to change the cooler at least for a while and see the result.

redraider

Download and install the AMD Ryzen Master program from AMD Ryzen™ Master Utility for Overclocking Control | AMD and that will show what the temperatures are, per the people who know best how to measure the temperatures, AMD.