mohotashi

Thoughtful Critique of Ryzen Launch Day. (Twitch Stream)

Discussion created by mohotashi on Mar 3, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 by derrickgott007

Yesterday, I hosted the AMD channel all day on twitch, I watched every person who streamed Ryzen from the Austin Office. It should be noted, that these opinions are my own, and they do not extend to the RTP Members DerrickGott007 or Nik Caven. The RTP Members did their thing, and hyped Ryzen and AMD the whole stream. Showed us Benchmarks even. This critique is ONLY on the GUEST streamers that were invited to launch day. I will not be targeting specific streamers, just yesterday left an especially bad taste in my mouth. I know there were some technical issues regarding bitrate for the entire stream, that I understand is completely out of the control of community management. Here are my main gripes.

1. POLITICS ARE NOT TO BE DISCUSSED ON THE AMD TWITCH CHANNEL

One of the reasons that I resonate with this community, is the fact that Politics hold no bearing on the content of the channel. Even Anecdotal political affiliations take away from the content being created here. They also take away from building community on the Twitch Channel. Even simple Anecdotes may have turned away some one from potentially joining the Red Team.

2. TOXIC CHAT

All I know about the streamers who streamed as guests yesterday, is that they had high follower counts. But that did not translate into positive viewership. I have never seen, the Banhammer swung so much in one afternoon. To what end ? The viewer count was only slightly higher than usual, but the ratio of that to Trolls was significant. Many people, joined Chat only to smash AMD, and insult the mods of the Twitch channel. Those Trolls were brought in and appeared to be regulars of the guests communities. To the Mods who stuck it out all day yesterday I salute you. Thank you for donating your time and energy to making the channel a nicer place to be.

3. LACK OF RYZEN HYPE (and knowledge about AMD products)

Many of the streamers did not HYPE Ryzen, when they got to play on Ryzen at launch. This is, I think, what got to me the most. The 1800x is the most powerful product AMD has come out with in a decade. One of the streamers admitted on stream, that he didn't even know what an RX480 was, he owned not a single AMD product, and could only say, "yeah I guess its as smooth as what I have at home." . If follower count is going to be the only thing dictating how these guests get on the channel I am not going to watch them. I thought the channel is supposed to be fostering positivity around AMD and their products. Many of the streamers yesterday, not only looked un-enthused to be there, but also had no idea what they were playing on.

4. NO COMMUNITY, PRESS, OR PROFESSIONAL UTILIZATION

Not a single AMD Community Member, Tech Blogger, or Industry Professional was asked to be a part of the Ryzen launch on Twitch. WHY? There is a mountain of resourceful people inside the community. I know the line would have been out the door for press to be a part of it. The worst part, not a single Industry professional or representative from AMD to talk about the product. Only a loop from the AMD youtube, that was not being monitored. (I know it wasn't, because a video of the liquid nitrogen powered 1800x breaking the Cinebench world record played for almost 30 minutes on repeat. I ended up muting it.)

CHANGES

First I want to say, I miss DownL1nk. It would have been amazing to have him on the channel yesterday, even for a few hours, to touch base with the community and let us know his thoughts. He still streams occasionally on his personal channel, and he is the one industry representative I would have really liked to see. He could have brought knowledge, driver/hardware expertise, and a welcoming atmosphere. (As Well as being Pro AMD.)

I also would like to see, more involvement from the community of people who are already streaming and Hyping AMD at all opportunities. Elmnator comes to mind. His AMD builds are legendary, his benchmarks on AMD hardware have broken records. This weekend he gained a ton of followers and had a 1000 viewers just for putting together his Ryzen rig, and he didn't even finish it. But he handled it with Grace, and now has a liquid cooled Ryzen rig. Just his rig and following would have brought in people, and his content is totally relevant to the Ryzen launch.

I suppose that is what I am getting at. We need relevant content on the channel, especially with big launches.

IN CLOSING

The reason I am posting this... I care about this community. I am Proud to be a AMD Red Team Member. I want the Twitch Channel to grow, in a positive way as it has brought me hours of joy and entertainment. It's also brought me friends. Friends so close, I consider them like family. I hope people in this community and community managers understand, I posted this to be constructive.

erin.maiorino nelstar15 thecommonmasses

Thank you for everything you do for the community. I hope this feedback helps grow this community, in a positive direction.

Outcomes