1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 6:14 AM by tugrul_512bit

2D Laplacian memory tiling

nefastious

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a doubt and I hope someone can help me here. I've seen several examples for the 5-point stencil of the 2D laplacian, but usually in global memory (which I've already implemented with the periodic boundary conditions I require). I'm currently trying to obtain an implementation which utilizes memory tilling, except I simply don't know how to deal with the ghost rows and columns. If anyone has an example I can use I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Ricardo

• Re: 2D Laplacian memory tiling
          tugrul_512bit

Its could be something like:

- load each threads own cell from global memory to local memory using all threads in the workgroup.

- load security paddings from global memory to local memory using the surface threads(2D thread group-->4x 1D edges) so it doesnt go out of bounds when using stencil on interior-edges

- synchronize threads on local memory using barrier

- do whatever your kernel does but use local memory this time instead of global memory.

what you need here is:

- each thread's local thread id

- predefined local array

- barrier (on local memory)

- some access pattern that doesn't conflict on local memory banks much

a simple additional offset to access local memory should be used to overcome paddings.