6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2017 2:12 AM by mrfs

M.2 question

stoggy28

I was thinking of getting the crosshair 6 was wondering how hard bootable m.2 nvme are i was thinking of skimping on a SSD for now

• Re: M.2 question
          milenko85

I was looking at doing a bootable M.2 as well, but decided against it. Yes, you will get faster boot times and load times on programs installed to that drive, but that is a big premium just to save a few seconds. While doing research, I found that the biggest performance enhance would be to use it as a "media" drive to render videos and files like that. I will go that route when I get a M.2 drive.

But back to your point, I don't see it being hard. There are several tools that can clone your drive to the M.2, or you can install fresh on it like any other drive.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            thefuzz1542

It's not hard at all to setup. You take care of it in Bios and it's straight forward enough. I have to run a M.2 as a boot-able in the Crosshair VI I'm getting because I will be using up most of my Sata ports with two different RAID 0 setups but mine will primarily be for Windows 10 and Drivers. The biggest drawbacks to M.2 is they get very hot very quickly and end up having to throttle them selves back to prevent cooking the IC's. If you end up getting a NVMe M.2 SSD be sure to give it ample cooling.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                stoggy28

Thank you that the board im planning on going with and getting the 960 evo nvme m.2

thefuzz1542

Cool, that's the one I just ordered. At first I was a little worried to get that one because the first version of the 960 EVO NVMe had an issue of not booting after a month of steady use because they were simply burning up the chips. However the new version that they are now selling has better throttle control and people seem to be happy with it again.