7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2017 1:41 PM by jhseltzer@comcast.net

fx-9590 crashes when running boinc

jhseltzer@comcast.net

I crunch research files in the background. when I set the boinc software to use more than 2 cores it causes a crash and reboot.  my older 6 core could run 4 cores at 100% without any problem (heat was the limiter). I have a new build running a fx-9590 on a sabertooth 990fx.

• Re: fx-9590 crashes when running boinc
          cavemanthe0ne

The FX 9590 being stock clocked at 4.7 Ghz and boosting up to 5 Ghz means that if you want to run BOINC, you will need some seriously good cooling to do so. A good air cooler might cut it, but an AIO or better probably is needed for running that kind of task.

If the temps get above 72C or so the system will crash on you at some point, on some rigs its right at 72C on others it's closer to 80C but if you are having shutdown issues it is likely because of heat. Unless the cooler you have is really good that is.

jhseltzer@comcast.net

After fighting with this processor I've come to the same conclusion.  It runs hot!  I use a water cooler and run an open case with exterior fans, but I still can't cool it.  I tried using TThrottle to control it.  I found the temp even under a light load bounces up and down wildly and now I'm sure I'm crashing from high temp.  So it's back to the old Athlon Phenom II 1055, a very stable workhorse.  The FX-9590 is for sale and I'm looking for a Athlon Phenom II 1100.  I don't want anyone to misunderstand,  the FX-9590 is a very fast CPU, but doesn't like running under a consistent heavy load.

thefuzz1542

Yea, I agree with what you both are saying. My FX-9370 has had a shut down issue with heat because one of the two rad fans lost a seal making it loose its oil. What cooler are you using? It should be no less then a 240 mm rad, none of that single fan width 120 mm rad stuff. The FX-9xxx laugh at anything less the 240 mm. After getting 240 mm I have ran my FX-9370 at 4.8 GHz for almost two days straight under load and the temps never went over 68. Now keep in mind if you are always running at 5.0 GHz with a nonstop load you will probably want more of a custom loop style with at least 1/2 inch tubing and a 240 to 360 mm rad. I have found AIO coolers biggest draw back is they often use small tubing prohibiting any major flow.

jhseltzer@comcast.net

I’m using a Corsair H90 with a single fan.   Watching the temp I noticed the reading spikes very quickly as the CPU loads and unloads.  Even when I set the load at 100% in Boinc it’s not constant; it’s up and down.  It’s the jumps that are causing trouble.  I think the CPU is set to shut down above 140 F.  I’m back to my old Athalon II X 6 1055 which doesn’t have this problem.  It’s temp stays steady.  I’ve found a Athalon II X 6 T1100 that I’m going to try.  I hope to push it to 3.8 GHz or so.  Too bad about the FX 9590, it’s a fast cpu when  you don’t load it beyond 30% constant.

Best Regards,

John Seltzer

Mobile     360-303-5325

jhseltzer@comcast.net

thehunger69

Oh might have already done this but, j had an overheating issue with my 9370 but it was because I accidentally faced one of its fans inversed and it disrupted the air flow causing it to peak. So if you having heat issues try to regulate all the air flow in one direction and add as many fans a as you can. Because the moment I flipped my fan around correctly the temp immediately stabalized.

jhseltzer@comcast.net

This is very good advice.  I have 3 external fans supplying air to an open tower case.  The position of these fans can change the temp by 4 or 5 degrees F.  I optimized my cooling situation by moving the fans around while watching the temp.  I also found my radiator collects fuzz rather quickly.  My computer is  2 in off the floor under my desk.  Not a good place.  If I try running an FX-9590 again, I’ll also get the biggest oil cooler I can fit.  Thanks for your comment.