6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 10:32 AM by nercis

AMD drivers stopped responding and BSOD

nercis

Hi

I've had multiple "drivers stopped responding and has recovered" issues for many games and occasional BSOD's with "stop 0x00000116 and atikmpag.sys" errors.

Some games doesn't have sound like Fallout 4, This war of mine and Metro 2033 redux, I have reinstall all of them and verified game caches with no luck.

Iv'e done plenty of "fixes" (se below) and i'm out of ideas. Is the card failing?

PC Specs

Win 7 64bit

Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751)

i5-3570K 3.40

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB

1920 x 1080 HDMI cable

What i've done so far(not in order)

- Uninstalled and made a clean install using radeon-crimson-relive-16.12.2

- Used DDU in safe mode and a clean install using radeon-crimson-relive-16.12.2

- SFC.exe/scannow with no errors

- Expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys using this guide: FIX BSOD ATI Blue screen on atikmdag.sys solved fix - Guru3D.com Forums

- Disabled hardware acceleration

- Furmark stress test for 20 min and no problems

- Temperature is around 30°C (86°F) idle and 60-66°C (140-150°F) underload and I got same results during Furmark.

- Updated Bios, realtek and DirectX and did all the above once again

- TDR fix using this guide Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix

- HDD error search in win7

• Re: AMD drivers stopped responding and BSOD
          kingfish

Are there any updates available from Windows Update?

nercis

Yes, the windows update was installed sometime during my attempts of "fixes" I also did a update search for windows but non so far.

But the driver runtime error doesn't happen on all games, have been playing Skyrim special edition, Farming sim17, Endless legend and recently Urban Empire for a long amount of time with no issues. I'm on sick leave so I do spent many hours on the pc playing games.

Other games like Fallout 4, This war of mine, Metro 2033 redux, Red faction guerrilla and Master of Orion isn't playable. The driver stopps at any moment, ether at the game launch or a few minutes to hours of gameplay. I've read somewhere that systems with intel processors and AMD gpu's has issues with latest directx?

kingfish

Ok...so you are saying when you go to Windows Update and run it....it gives you the message "There are no more Updates"? Just to be sure...Win7 must be fully updated before installing new AMD drivers.

Try the new 17.1.1 drivers > Desktop If you have issues with them, install this previous driver > Detail

Do a clean install of the AMD drivers > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

nercis

Yes, there are no more windows updates and installing 17.1.1 just made it worse. I could play Urban Empire and some other games just fine but after 17.1.1 every game i try goes bsod after launching them.

nercis

Already done that, it's in my list of "fixes" and it did not work with ether 17.1.1 or 16.12.2.

Re checked for windows updates and there are none except for optional language packs.

Rolled back to 16.11.5 and everything seems to work. So i'll stick to that for now.

Edit:

With 16.12.2 I can play a few games without any issues but most of my games crash and i receive the "drivers has stopped working" and sometimes followed with BSOD.

With 17.1.1 I get BSOD directly when I launch a game, any game.

I have used the same fixes and guides for both 16.12.2 and 17.1.1 and it does not solve anything.

Edit:

Been playing Fallout 4 for several hours, on and off, the last two days now with 16.11.5 and there has been no problems.

There must be some conflict with windows and the newer AMD drivers but what?

I forgot to mention that I started noticing problems with Fallout 4 after I installed 16.12.2, There was no sound in game. Usually this can be fixed if you reinstall Directx that comes with the game in the game folder. I did that and I instantly got BSOD when the install was complete. Same thing happens with 17.1.1.

The Fallout 4 launcher also auto detects the graphic settings and adjust it after installing 16.12.2 and 17.1.1. It behaves like the game was just recently installed or reinstalled. Of curse I uninstalled fallout and deleted the ini files and any other left overs and reinstalled fallout again after reinstalling 16.12.2 again, and it did not help.

But as I said above, more games than fallout had similar problems when I installed 16.12.2 and most games did start but got "driver has stopped working" after a few minutes in game and sometimes BSOD, and 17.1.1 instantly got BSOD when launching a game.