AnsweredAssumed Answered

Driver [STILL] Crashing on 16.10.1

Question asked by dementalist on Oct 8, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 by krzysiekkkk

I have tried everything from increasing the TdrDelay value in RegEdit from "8" to "20" to uninstalling existing drivers and running the AMD Uninstaller utility, and even to resituating my entire PC tower and wiping my partitions and reformatting the operating system; and yet, AMD's driver for Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 470 8GB continues to relentlessly crash at random. The card itself performs extremely well. I credit both AMD and Sapphire for its physical construction. But my inability to use this card without experiencing relentless driver crashing is simply inexcusable for AMD.

The driver simply stops responding and recovers. When I increase the TdrDelay value to from "8" to "20", the entire system randomly locks up, forcing me to hard reset the entire system. This problem recurs with every game I play from Star Wars Battlefront to Far Cry 4 and even to Battlefield 4. Ever since buying the card on the first day it hit NewEgg.com's shelves, I have had to endure this very irritating problem. I have attached a screenshot of the DirectX error I see in the instance that the driver stops responding.

My system specifications are as follows: AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0ghz CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, with a 500w or 600w eVGA power supply and excellent CFM on my CPU cooler, case fans and general airflow. I run Windows 10 x64 Pro. On the exact same specifications, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB video card, I experienced no crashes whatsoever on any game. Only when I switched to this Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 470 8GB video card did I begin to experience these driver crashes.

I have confirmed that heating is not a problem whatsoever. When idle, my video card sits at 30 degrees Celsius. Under load, it averages about 50 to 55 degrees Celsius. And yet, the driver crashing will not yield.

As a customer, I have certain expectations of the products that I purchase. If those expectations are not met, I begin to entertain the competition. If AMD does not resolve this problem anytime soon, this will have been the last AMD video card product I have ever bought. Driver functionality should not be stressful and antagonizing for paying customers.

Attachments

Outcomes