17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 1:09 PM by krzysiekkkk

Driver [STILL] Crashing on 16.10.1

dementalist

I have tried everything from increasing the TdrDelay value in RegEdit from "8" to "20" to uninstalling existing drivers and running the AMD Uninstaller utility, and even to resituating my entire PC tower and wiping my partitions and reformatting the operating system; and yet, AMD's driver for Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 470 8GB continues to relentlessly crash at random. The card itself performs extremely well. I credit both AMD and Sapphire for its physical construction. But my inability to use this card without experiencing relentless driver crashing is simply inexcusable for AMD.

The driver simply stops responding and recovers. When I increase the TdrDelay value to from "8" to "20", the entire system randomly locks up, forcing me to hard reset the entire system. This problem recurs with every game I play from Star Wars Battlefront to Far Cry 4 and even to Battlefield 4. Ever since buying the card on the first day it hit NewEgg.com's shelves, I have had to endure this very irritating problem. I have attached a screenshot of the DirectX error I see in the instance that the driver stops responding.

My system specifications are as follows: AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0ghz CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, with a 500w or 600w eVGA power supply and excellent CFM on my CPU cooler, case fans and general airflow. I run Windows 10 x64 Pro. On the exact same specifications, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB video card, I experienced no crashes whatsoever on any game. Only when I switched to this Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 470 8GB video card did I begin to experience these driver crashes.

I have confirmed that heating is not a problem whatsoever. When idle, my video card sits at 30 degrees Celsius. Under load, it averages about 50 to 55 degrees Celsius. And yet, the driver crashing will not yield.

As a customer, I have certain expectations of the products that I purchase. If those expectations are not met, I begin to entertain the competition. If AMD does not resolve this problem anytime soon, this will have been the last AMD video card product I have ever bought. Driver functionality should not be stressful and antagonizing for paying customers.

• Re: Driver [STILL] Crashing on 16.10.1
          pepe.sifu

very curious that all other card owners from other manufacturers gigabyte,asus,xfx,powercolor, with the exception of sapphire, we had the same problems that now have you, but now with the new driver 16.10.1 is the problem solution, now only people who have one sapphire, have the problem, I think amd fix everything with 16.10.1 that is the solution for most people, you have to do it is regrear to 16.9.2 the driver that works well with sapphire, I have a XFX and the wonderful driver 16.10.1 all problem is resolved, thanks and congratulations amd by the driver 16.1.10.

dementalist

I have experienced the same problem with 16.7.3, 16.8.2, 16.9.1, 16.9.2 and whatever else driver there has been. I am currently testing the method of changing all Tdr related registry entries from DWORD to QWORD, using the following values:

TdrDiDelay Value = 20
              TdrDelay Value = 20
              TdrLevel Value = 10

Once I am convinced these value changes have solved the problem, I will report back to this thread.

krzysiekkkk

Hello

You don't even know how well I understand you dementalist. My problem is different than yours. When the system is woken from sleep mode I get "windows error recovery", then I need to choose "start windows normally", afterwards when everything is loaded I get "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure". I just can't use sleep mode. I work on my laptop everyday and you don't even know how important it is for me. My problem is caused by Radeon WattMan Settings. My problem is caused by RADEON COMPANY!!!!!!!!!. I am really sick and tired of trying to fix the problem. I am so pissed off. They still relase new updates but the problem still is not gone. I am angry because Radeon is one of the richest company in the entire world. They got A LOT OF MONEY!!!!!! They earn Milions of Dollars EVERYDAY. They got the best programmers and they can't FIX A FEW BUGS!!!!!. I have spent about 7 hours trying to fix it, have reinstalled drivers about 15 times using DDU and have even reinstalled my Windows. You know what, all this was just a waste of time. Sorry for my english but it is not my native language. Ok, enough. It is time to create a new topic. Maybe someone will help me with my problem if not I am gonna send a long message to Radeon Company.

dementalist

Krzysiekkkk,

Your problem sounds to be more operating system related than it is driver

related. Have you tried wiping your partitions and re-installing Windows

from scratch? I have observed some weirdness about Radeon's driver when my

compute recovers from sleep mode, but it's nowhere near as debilitating as

you describe.

I would recommend you ensure your motherboard BIOS is flashed and up to

date. Until I updated my BIOS, my motherboard would not even recognize my

newly bought SSD drive. A motherboard BIOS update can make all the

difference. Check the manufacturer's site if you haven't.

krzysiekkkk

dementalist

I was hoping you were right. I did as u said. I updated my BIOS and trust me it didn't help at all. I will tell u what helped me. I found a simillar topic on this forum and someone had a very simillar issue to mine. Someone wrote to go back to 15.11.beta drivers and that was the answer. I wasted many many hours to solve this porblem and I have to say AMD RADEON SHAME ON YOU!!!! I can't use the newset drivers for my graphic card. Anyway that was my last thing which I bought from AMD COMPANY.

dementalist

One of the things I have read about the Sapphire Nitro+ is that it, in particular, runs a higher clock speed than the XFX, ASUS and other versions. That could be a reason for the instability. For whatever reason, AMD's driver releases may not be accounting well for overclocks. But this is something that AMD should have had taken care of at the desk. We should not have to be unpaid beta testers.

dementalist

Confirmation: reducing GPU clock speed for each of the seven states by 300 MHz in fact works. For whatever reason, AMD's driver is unstable with clock speeds higher than certain values. This inevitably forces AMD users to run at clock speeds lower than advertised, so the burden is on AMD to get this addressed as soon as possible.