OpenCL Research Machine
LuxMark v3.1 OpenCL CPU+GPU benchmark :: volumetricsteve's result (2017/11/08 03:15:11) | LuxMark
Only missing a little aluminum work at this point. There's the R9 Nano hooked into the pcie cable I made for it. I added a separator in the middle of the system to control airflow. I didn't capture it well in the photos, but I did a lot of custom cabling for this. Every PSU cable is coated in layers of frog tape, copper leaf, more frog tape (to prevent corrosion) and finished off with heatshrink tubing so I could form the cables to fit where I needed them to. They fit snugly and precisely in what little free space there is in the case.
Close up of the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120, which completely changed how I feel about AIO solutions, I love this thing. I still don't sleep as easy as I would with air cooling, but I'm impressed so far.
Christmas lights provided with the plextor 128gb pcie ssd, HDR made them look kinda cool. Also pictured is my Intel NIC and Matrox G550, still testing basic console output at this point.
Historical photos of Black:
This was the original system, which was a mess. Outfitted with a T1100 and 16GB of ram strapped to a Radeon 7000. The purpose here was getting the most out of air cooling by creating a huge isolated tunnel with push-pull fans. It worked really well, but I couldn't do any GPU development with it because the PSU had too many wires in the way, one upgrade led to another, the FX series chips came out and I ended up with the fully-renovated system you saw at the top of the thread.
Between the old version and how it is now, there were many, lengthy developmental steps:
This was the underside of the case which only housed the main power cable, I filled this in with foam and sealed it off so that dust couldn't get trapped in the dead space.
We live next to an airport and have a ton of wireless noise in our environment, so this was an attempt to improve grounding of EMI and other such signals through many layers of various metals, the copper leaf looked the most cool I think.
I filled in some more dead-space with foam and re-wrapped and re-insulated them. I would switch off between copper leaf, aluminum, cold galvanizing compound and black epoxy high gloss spray. This should prevent any rusting, though it's far from a perfect solution. In the end, it produced good results though. You can see here I'm carving out space into the foam to make room for the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 when air cooling is no-longer sufficient for my FX-8350.
Here I had to drill down into the floor of the case to fix some bumps where the foam from the back-side had bled through and were forming very strange high-pressure bubbles months after I thought it had dried. I flattened it out with a dremel and re-coated everything. There's also more drilling for the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 to have a snug, custom fit.
One of the last major re-coats before I start doing more testing. This also shows off the completed drilled out area for the new cooler as well as the tape-web I put up to close off any more dust-traps. I also went through with epoxy putty and filled in as many cracks as I could, making the interior as smooth as possible. The idea being if I need to clean it out in the future, it'll be much easier.
|Cooler||Arctic Liquid Freezer 120|
|Motherboard||Asus M5A97 R2.0|
|Memory||32GB Corsair Ballistix|
|Disc Drive 1||Plextor 128GB Pcie SSD|
|Disc Drive 2|
|Disc Drive 3|
|Case||Cooler Master Elite 360|