18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 7:20 AM by amdmatt

Questions about pro duo

bryanwj

Hey all, just bought a pro duo from microcenter for 1K...thought it was a good deal.... I have a few questions regarding it though.

1.  What are your normal temps while gaming? im getting around mid 60's with Witcher 3 max settings 1440p, limited reviews out there say it should pretty much stay around 50 under load. it is in a Bit Fenix Prodigy M case.

2. Is there a way to disable the crossfire aspect of the card and just use 1 gpu? I get some stuttering in the same game and yes I did research that it had been in issue with witcher 3, I do not see an option to turn off crossfire in driver settings, and I assume it is because only 1 card is installed.

3. what is the max temp for the card?

• Re: Questions about pro duo
          amdmatt

Welcome to the club, i have two. It's a lovely premium GPU.

1. At stock settings the temperatures will be between 61-67c under sustained heavy load. This is because the default target temperature is 67c so the fans will not rev up until you hit the low to mid 60's.

2. Yes, you can disable CrossFire globally via Radeon Settings > Gaming > Global Settings. Additionally, you can disable AMD CrossFire via an application profile added to Radeon Settings, rather than disabling it globally for all applications.

3. Maximum temperature is 68c. Once you hit this temperature the core clock will drop to remain at 67c.

Are you planning to overclock the card or run at stock clocks? If you plan to run at stock you should be able to undervolt the GPU using MSI Afterburner. This will lower temperatures and fan speed even further. You should be able to lower voltage to -0.054v without issue.

bryanwj

Thanks for the fast reply. I will open my eyes a bit more and look for the setting for crossfire when I get home from work... I do not think I am going to over clock as It is in a matx case and heat is a concern overall, though it does seem to be managed quite well so far... I was worried that the form factor was causing it to heat up, though it didn't make sense because all the heat should go though radiator, so I thought maybe my unit was bad...

I had settings in driver that kept cool, but would not push witcher 3 past like 33FPS.... reset to default then wow smooth as hell.... by under volting will I still get max performance?!

Am I supposed to have wattman in the driver settings? because I had a rx480 before this and it had it, but the pro duo seems to have an older utility built in...

amdmatt

Undervolting will not reduce performance, it will just reduce heat, noise and power consumption. If you run at stock there is no reason not to do it. You just need to find the sweetspot. Underclock too far and you will lose stability and the GPU may crash etc. It takes some testing but is worth it if you like to achieve more efficiency like me. Just make sure you set the powertune at +50% otherwise the core clocks will throttle at 0%.

Wattman is for RX GPUs only at this moment in time. You can use Overdrive to set the target temperature, but i would leave it at default settings and focus on undervolting.

You will find the first GPU core typically runs cooler than the second. So any changes you make to temperature targets will have a direct effect on both cores. As the first core runs a bit cooler, if you set too low of a target temperature the fan will rev up loud trying to maintain the target temperature. Once you play around with it and use monitoring software to setup hardware overlays, you'll see what i mean. It's about finding the sweet spot. For me the fans operate at their lowest speed with stock settings and undervolting, but I'm happy to see peak temps of 67c on the hottest core and 63c on the cooler core, fan speed of about 33% which is silent.

I recorded some gameplay footage of BF3 running on my two Pro Duo's here, which you might want to check out to get an idea of the temperatures the cores hit in extended gaming, and what fan speeds they run at. This was with my GPUs undervolted by -0.066v. If you uncheck Sync Settings for similar GPUs in MSI Afterburner settings, you can set individual undervolt levels for each GPU, for even more efficiency improvement.

bryanwj

anyway you can screen shot your driver setting page? im concerned though because you do have 2 that is why your crossfire is enabled....was it enabled before you added second one?...I used auto detect driver install. maybe it gave me the wrong version?

amdmatt

Use Crimson 16.9.2 driver as it's the latest. CrossFire toggle is available for 1-2 Radeon Pro Duo GPUs where i mentioned.

bryanwj

again thanks for the fast reply. If you work for AMD its awesome to see that kind of support right away, if not thanks for being a great help.... Where your screen says Crossfire logo and enable crossfire, mine says frame pacing... I will try downloading and manually installing the driver when I get back home and see if that helps me out. I had reinstalled my rx480 and contemplated returning the pro duo... there isn't much info out in the world on this beast so I figure id come here and try to learn something.

bryanwj

the only deal breaker for me is not being able to disable the other core for games that don't support crossfire well, for whatever reason im extremely sensitive to smoothness in games and notice the smallest things.... when I was running on the horse, it wasn't jerky at all, but had this sensation that if you can imagine driving down the road at 60mph and then every 2 seconds use your left foot and tapped on the brake, that's the sensation I was experiencing.... reinstalled my rx480 and didn't have that at all... im not sure if that's what they call microstuter or not, but it was noticeable .... I figure 1 fury nano runs the game well enough

amdmatt

Check with 16.9.2, it should be in that location. Otherwise you could find it in the old location, under Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings > AMD CrossFire.

You can still disable CrossFire via application profiles, so you'll be able to do it one way or the other. Some games don't always play nicely with two GPUs, so in that case it does make sense to disable CrossFire. Enabling Vsync and an FPS cap using FRTC can also help in some cases.

In the example below i have disabled CrossFire via an application profile for Battlefield 3.

Oh and yes, i work for AMD.

bryanwj

Just wanted to update since I reinstalled the pro duo in my system.  I did in fact have older drivers installed that were recommended by the driver detector on the AMD website, maybe they were the "pro" ones? as they had a version number that was really long, and now the crossfire option appears.  I have had some funny things happen to my system, random small instability problems... I have a evga bronze 850 watt power supply and am wondering if this might be my issue. I haven't had any random resets or anything, but sometimes a random usb component stops working or locks up, and sometimes when I shut down pc fans and all stay running for a bit after. At first I thought this might be the card cooling itself down.   Also I will get random black screens where the monitor loses connection, but I can still hear everything running in game, so it doesn't freze, just stops displaying.

The Afterburner undervolt did the trick as far as temps go, I notice your power limit is at 100% mine is at 50...what does that setting do? is that the power tune setting you speak of? any other tips or tricks you can throw my way?

My system components:

I7 6700k

Pro Duo

8Gb crucial sport ddr4

1tb Samsung m.2 SSD

Asus Maximus Gene MATX

4 120mm Case fans

amdmatt

What undervolt setting are you using? If it's too low for one of the GPUs that could cause the black screen issue you mentioned. Back off a little bit and restart. Try moving in 0.012v steps until you gain full stability.

Usb drop outs could be related to something else. Is anything else overclocked? All software and Motherboard/USB drivers up to date? Have you checked your CPU and Memory are stable?

Power Limit at +50% is fine. I'm using the latest version of MSI AB so perhaps that has a higher power limit.

bryanwj

I used the default -.54 that you recommended right off the bat. The issues existed before I undervolted.  Build is brand new, everything should be up to date, and I am not overclocking anything else.  Im not sure on the amp draw for the pcie leads of the powr supply, was thinking a higher quality one might help.  Would I benefit raising the Power Limit? as I have noticed either GPU throttle itself, I also am using the latest version of AB.  What was the power tune setting you spoke of?.... Overall im extremely satisfied with the card, 2 nanos would cost me near the same plus I have liquid cooling.  What is the recommended power supply for the card?

amdmatt

As i mentioned above, the power limit must be set at +50% and could explain the black screen issue you are seeing. The other issue sounds unrelated to the GPU though.

bryanwj

I apologize, im beginning to wonder if I have faulty hardware somewhere or maybe the MATX form factor case I chose is causing me issues with heat and the pro duo.  I am being further convinced my power supply can handle this card and remain stable.

I Installed afterburner and did the -54 volt, also tried a -30 undervolt, also power limit to +50, I checked the box to apply overclock at startup and to start afterburner with windows.  Every time windows starts I get an error saying there was a error with the driver and the gpu has recovered. and all my setting are back to default.  When playing overwatch with crossfire enabled, I get one round with framrates in the 120+ range, after that seems throttling seems to kick in and frame rate is stuttering and jerky getting no higher than about 90 fps with huge dips, also gpu cores seem to be downclocking as well.  when I reset to apply changes the system hangs until I manually reset, as well as when I powered off before leaving for work it was stuck in power down state with fans running and all.

Also with Afterburner running with the rivatuner display performance overlay, my fps would not go over 50..... I must be doing something wrong.... Im debating on returning the pro duo, and running my rx 480 and buying another for crossfire, or trying a higher class power supply.... or any other suggestions... I really appreciate the support I have received from you Matt, you've earned a life long customer by it, I just wish you guys made a Matx motherboard that would support the fx8350 so I didn't have to buy intel lol...

amdmatt

Don't use Apply Overclock At Startup. Save your profiles to slot 1 or 2, then go to Settings > Profiles and have them auto apply at 2D/3D. Use the -30 profile until you have ruled out stability issues with the GPU. Leave the clock speeds at stock and ensure +50% or +100% power limit is set and saved to the profile in Afterburner.

You have not configured things correctly if the Core clocks are dropping. If you use the settings i advised with Power Limit, and you are not hitting the temperature target, the clocks should not drop. If the clocks are fluctuating, you'll need to put the voltage back to +0v because you have to have stable clocks to tweak the voltage. The problem is you change the voltage in all clock states when you under/over volt. Because your clocks are fluctuating, you are switching between lower clock states and this is causing your instability.

Go back to the drawing board and leave voltage at 0+ until you get your settings right.

bryanwj

So far things seem to be working, is it possible I caused any damage to the card by doing this?

amdmatt

Not at all, you just didn't have your settings correct. The powertune limit is important because if you don't set it, the GPU keeps moving around into different clock states and the lower clock states don't have the voltage wiggle room that clock state 7 (the highest clock state) has. Here's an example below of the various clock states and the default voltages of my Pro Duo's. This is before any undervolting occurs via software, as you can see the lower clock states are already using low voltage. Thus if Powertune is not set, your clocks fluctuate into the lower states and suddenly your undervolt is not stable.

Pro Duo 1 Core 1:

------[ GPU PStates List ]------

DPM0: GPUClock = 300 MHz, VID = 0.90000 V

DPM1: GPUClock = 508 MHz, VID = 0.95000 V

DPM2: GPUClock = 717 MHz, VID = 0.95600 V

DPM3: GPUClock = 874 MHz, VID = 1.03100 V

DPM4: GPUClock = 911 MHz, VID = 1.06800 V

DPM5: GPUClock = 944 MHz, VID = 1.10600 V

DPM6: GPUClock = 974 MHz, VID = 1.14300 V

DPM7: GPUClock = 1000 MHz, VID = 1.17500 V

Pro Duo 1 Core 2:

DPM1: GPUClock = 508 MHz, VID = 0.94300 V

DPM3: GPUClock = 874 MHz, VID = 1.06800 V

DPM4: GPUClock = 911 MHz, VID = 1.10600 V

DPM5: GPUClock = 944 MHz, VID = 1.14300 V

DPM6: GPUClock = 974 MHz, VID = 1.18700 V

DPM7: GPUClock = 1000 MHz, VID = 1.21800 V

Pro Duo 2 Core 1:

DPM1: GPUClock = 508 MHz, VID = 0.95000 V

DPM3: GPUClock = 874 MHz, VID = 1.03100 V

DPM4: GPUClock = 911 MHz, VID = 1.06800 V

DPM5: GPUClock = 944 MHz, VID = 1.10600 V

DPM6: GPUClock = 974 MHz, VID = 1.14300 V

DPM7: GPUClock = 1000 MHz, VID = 1.17500 V

Pro Duo 2 Core 2:

DPM1: GPUClock = 508 MHz, VID = 0.94300 V

DPM3: GPUClock = 874 MHz, VID = 1.06800 V

DPM4: GPUClock = 911 MHz, VID = 1.10600 V

DPM5: GPUClock = 944 MHz, VID = 1.15000 V

DPM6: GPUClock = 974 MHz, VID = 1.19000 V

DPM7: GPUClock = 1000 MHz, VID = 1.22500 V

Hopefully that all makes sense.

bryanwj

I definitely get the cores becoming unstable due to voltage, I am an electrician by trade.  I also found the culprit to my USB issues and unable to shutdown/restart, It was the asus AI3 software that was included with my motherboard, specifically the silent cpu fan option... a google search of the issue solved that one, seems to be common with that software and board... Again all your help is much appreciated