6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 3:08 AM by romych

R9 280x will randomly not clock down to 2D clocks.

ohlordah

Sapphire R9 280x, Windows 10 1607 fresh installation. The GPU works just fine, it's just that sometimes the card will not clock down to the proper 2D clocks (300/150). It will only go down to 501/1500 no matter the load or what's open in the background. The card switches between 501/1500 and the 3D clocks properly. There is no virus or coin miner running in the background. I have scanned with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Antimalware and checked startup settings one by one using Sysinternals Autoruns. There is no pattern as to when it will happen. I still haven't managed to pinpoint or precisely reproduce the issue. It happens randomly and I can fix it either by a system restart or a driver restart using RadeonMod. The open source driver in kernel 4.7 doesn't display the same behavior. Here's the rest of my system:

Intel Core i7-2600k@4.5GHz

16GB (4x4) Corsair DDR 1600 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Sapphire P67 Pure Black Hydra (bios 1APHE093)

Sapphire R9 280x (015.041 bios) on primary 16x PCIe

ASUS Xonar D2X

Intel CT Gigabit Desktop Adapter

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Seagate 2TB

Toshiba 3TB

Windows 10 Pro 1607

Crimson 16.8.2 (clean install with DDU).

• Re: R9 280x will randomly not clock down to 2D clocks.
          amdpete

If you are watching a movie or something with flash or hardware acceleration then the GPU would be using the UVD part of the chip which runs at different clocks.  Also running more than 1 monitor would have the same effect also.

ohlordah

I have a single 1080p monitor connected via single-link DVI. Once the clocks are "stuck", they always stay there and never go lower, even if the only thing running is the desktop with literally no program open. It fixes itself once I restart the driver using RadeonMod. I'm not the only person having this problem with a Tahiti card. A lot of people from the Guru3D forums also have the same issue and we have also reported it to AMD. Is there anything you want me to do or test?

amdpete

If you have reported it via the AMD driver feedback form and others have done the same thing it would be up to the engineers to investigate the reported issue.

ohlordah

Is it something the driver team is aware and investigated then? I have reported other things in the past (like vram affecting performance in AC:Unity, for example), but nothing was really ever changed and there was zero feedback as to whether a fix wasn't possible, or even desirable, which would be totally ok with me. This bug is very annoying because it heats up the GPU for no reason at all, and I've never really had any kind of power issues with this card, I'm kind of surprised to see them crop up now after four years of using it.

I have also checked the GPU usage/commit bytes with Process Explorer from Sysinternals. There isn't any kind of process that using even 1% of the GPU, yet the clocks (once the problem starts), will never go lower than 501/1500. Anything else I can test? Do you need me to send a DxDiag or something equivalent?

@lex

I have exactly the same symptoms. Some notes:

1. This is a reasonably fresh system, about 2 weeks old and not yet contaminated with lots of software.

2. I only have one monitor (HDMI).

3. I have made sure (to the best of my ability) that software is not the culprit (e. g. there's no flash player running or anything like that). Rebooting does not solve the problem. The issue appeared instantly and I have never seen proper 2D clocks since. It's not a floating issue.

4. I cannot recall doing anything that I can tie to the appearance of the problem, EXCEPT updating the Crimson suite from 15.something (like 15.10 or 15.11) to 16.9.1.

Update: I confirmed that it's driver-related. I have deleted all the AMD stuff and let Windows redownload the driver automatically. I got Crimson 16.6 and no issue.

Windows 10 Pro x64, Club 3D R9 280X.

romych

join, the same problem,  r9 270x, 2D MODE 450 -1400,amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit no problem