14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 10:39 AM by cloudy

Black screen after Wake up from Sleep 16.7.3 and 16.8.2/3

j4rn0

Dear AMD,

Since the last updates. Whenever my pc returns from sleep mode my screen stays black. The backlight of my monitor does pop up but the screen it self stays black.

To fix this i have to restart the whole pc.

1. Same issue when hooked up to the TV. Both monitor and TV are a 1080p

2. After 16.7.3 i installed 16.8.2/3 (hotfix), this solved nothing.

3. Uninstalled all ATI drivers and software and reinstalled 16.8.2/3. Solved nothing.

Videocard is a HD7870. Running windows 7 64bit

Please help.

Regards,

Jarno

• Re: Black screen after Wake up from Sleep 16.7.3 and 16.8.2/3
          amdpete

Please report the issue here:

AMD Issue Reporting Form

Giving the power states set in the motherboard BIOS and the make and models of TV and Monitor.

kubur

Hi Mate!

This is a problem which lots of users experience starting from drivers 16.3 but AMD stays silent with this. They simply are not able to acknowledge that the produce worthless drivers. All answers you will receive from them is this issue reporting form. I have reported it many times and guess what - NOTHING!

The issue still persists, no answers or questions from their side. Simply - nothing.

This is the top class support they provide

Here is my thread regarding this issue. FOr me, the drivers are not waking up the card from sleep. I thought that this is crossfire related, but reading your post makes me feel that it is not.

https://community.amd.com/thread/199688?q=sleep

Someone posted and answer to my thread, I will test this solution today. Maybe it is a good workaround. I encourage you to try it also and forsake the thought that AMD will solve this issue for us. Simply they don't care. I will never buy any product from them in the future.

Cheers mate!

1 of 2 people found this helpful
              jakob91

I have the same problem since I installed new drivers (two latest revisions). Whenever I come back from sleep mode (or windows shut down the monitor after X minutes) the screen stay black and there is nothing I can do except hitting the reset button. I did a bios update, didn't change a thing. I'm gonna try to find an old video driver somewhere because I never let my monitor open for no reason and I put my computer to sleep pretty much everyday..

I would understand some glitch in an obscure game but to lose the video signal when resuming windows seems like quite a flaw. I hope it gets fixed at some point so I can install recent drivers again..

Update: I tried the latest driver from a few days ago and... still not fixed. I was considering buying a new Radeon card in the next few months but after several weeks without being able to resume from a simple sleep mode or turned off display (reset button being the last resort) I guess that's it for me.

jdk

Adding in that I have also had this same issue.  On an R9 290.  Just updated to 16.10.2 and still having the issue.

It only seems to happen to me when I have 2 monitors plugged in, which is almost always.  The connector configuration doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

jakob91

I installed the version 16.1 since about a month and I don't have the issue anymore. Well the problem still occur but with 16.1 you can just press ctrl+alt+del to make windows popping-up back instead of having to reset the computer thus creating bad clusters.

Still amazed they haven't fixed it yet. It's a serious flaw.

kubur

Exactly, on 16.1 version the issue does not exist. With every later version the problem is there.

So the workaround for all the people having this issue is to install 16.1 version.

The problem is the driver is getting old and AMD does not care that since almost a year they have a problem and they do nothing about it.

And for sure this is AMD driver related, not overclocking or other reasons.

I have my pc overclocked since ages. On 16.1 it's not a problem. There is no sleep issue.

On later versions no matter if my pc is overclocked or not, I can't wake up my PC from sleep. The blame is on AMD!

Guys, my humble request: please use the issue reporting form, which I mentioned few posts above and bomb AMD wit the reports. Only with the critical mass they will notice pur problem.

They are worthless. I'm very disappointed with their customer care and driver department. Such a shame that they don't care.

smh_r9

Any news about this problems? Got this problem also with my 270x, must stay with 16.7.2, but want some features from new drivers, like relive.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        j4rn0

So a year later, kept the same drivers for a year. Figuring that after a year they must have fixed it in one of the 30+ updates they had. But! too bad, after installing version 17.9.1 this same issue still persists. AMD cant do anything about it.

Best option is to buy a different brand video card I guess.

j4rn0

Hi Everyone,

So after over a year i was able to solve the issue (for me) myself. After sending in numerous tickets that where left unanswered and reading many many many posts that lead to dead ends.

Troubleshoot:

I installed the drivers manualy through device manager and this seems to solve the issue. though i still needed the radeon settings to set my tv (which is connected with a DVI to HDMI converter into a HDMI/HDMI cable) to full RGB pixel format.

so the issue wasnt solved yet.

Cause:

after reading many posts there where alot of people who have this issue when their monitor is either connected to DVI or Display port so when i replug the hdmi cable into the dvi converter my primary screen which is on the HDMI port came back. So for me the DVI where it goes wrong.

After troubleshooting further I did ANOTHER full clean of anything AMD related and isntalled only the display drivers and radeon settings, Left out all the other options.

For some strange reason it is working now, even when i set the RGB to full it still works. No more black screen after sleep.

Regards,

Jarno

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              cloudy

I just posted a new question about the same problem. Indeed, my connection is DVI.

In a few years old PC, this problem only arose when a few days ago I uninstalled the old AMD Catalyst, installed a new AMD graphics card and the AMD Radeon Crimson 17.11.1 software. Now in a few days is v. 17.11.4, but I do not see any mention that this problem is resolved.

Updating the software is not something I am willing to do on a daily basis unless I know for certain it resolves the issue.
                              Any latest info?