ASUS Z-97-A

CPU:

I5 4460 3.2mhz

Power Supply:

Sentey MBP 750 750 watts

RAM:

8 GB DDR3

Problem:

Intermittently, the screen will go black with a brief message that there is "no HDMI". The drives are still running, but it takes a cold boot to restart the video. The behavior is not related to any specific program and it only occurs after an hour or more of running the system. I suspect this is a failure of the video card. Nothing shows in the Win Event Viewer. Do I need to look for a new card, or are there other things to check before throwing more money in the pot?

Thanks for your ideas.

• Re: Intermittent black screen
          mahoon

I've been having this issue for the last month or two. R9 380 in my case. I've uninstalled Win10, clean installed Win7, and updated completely and then upgraded to Win 10 with no improvements. I've updated graphics drivers from 15.300 to various other 16.X.X and all to no effect. I ran the 16.X.X drivers fine in Win 7, no probs at all. Event viewer keeps telling me the critical error occurs around a bugcheck, but that garden path leads me into a swamp of 'try this, 'do that', 'mess with this' that only seems to make me reduce my system to such a messy state I'm back to clean installing Win 7. Again. I've tested all the hardware components I can, in the usual ways Memtest86 etc and all seems good. BIOS is up to date. I'm currently back to a fresh upgrade to Win 10 with 15.300 drivers and I'm leaving things like that (literally done an hour ago, so no stability info I'm afraid). I'm not even confident that this will be reliable - but if not, I shall roll-back to Win 7 and update just the driver (no CNext) to 16.X.X. Doesn't help your issue I'm afraid beyond don't blame the hardware just yet - I assumed mine was flakey but after all the testing and stability demonstrated in Win 7 I'm confident the hardware is in good shape.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            amdmatt

It could be a faulty GPU, but i would recommend a system clean up and a fresh installation of the latest drivers, to see if that resolves the issue.

Navigate to Windows Device Manager > Monitors and check that your display is not showing as disabled. If it is, please enable it.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

snowflare182

I'm confused by this response, as the issue Kupuna's having sounds pretty clearly like the blackscreen issue that's been plaguing the R9 380 (among others) for months now - I don't get why it seems to be treated as a new/semi-new issue almost every time it comes up at this point.

I've got an ASUS R9 380 4 GB, and i'm also still experiencing this same issue (on Win 10 x64, Skylake i5-6600, 16 GB RAM) even after following all of the above steps multiple times for the last ~6 months.

I'm 99.99% certain it's not a hardware issue - temps, fans, and PSU are fine, and it always presents the exact same way every single time. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    mahoon

And just to add detail, I've a similar set-up to snowflare182: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4Gb 5D with backplate, Win10 x64, Skyake i5-6600, 16GB RAM on a ASROCKS Z170 Gaming 6 . I think I'll image the system, follow the above steps and at the first sign of yet another failed attempt to rectify the problem I'll either a) live with screen blackouts, b) revert to 15.300 driver in Win 10 or c) revert to win 7 and use 16.7 drivers - whichever proves to be the least painful.

kupuna

Hi, Kupuna here,

Am I getting an accurate impression that some of those responding (yourself included) eliminated the problem by rolling back to earlier drivers? Wouldn't that imply that the latest drivers were at fault? Do you think you have fixed the black screen problem?

Frankly, I'm about at the point where I'm ready for the Nvidia solution. I'm committed to Win 10, so going back to 8.1 isn't realistic for me.

snowflare182

Am I getting an accurate impression that some of those responding (yourself included) eliminated the problem by rolling back to earlier drivers? Wouldn't that imply that the latest drivers were at fault? Do you think you have fixed the black screen problem?

Supposedly cleaning off with DDU and rolling all the way back to the 15.11.1 Catalyst drivers "fixes" the issue, but of course the tradeoff is that you're then using drivers from almost a year ago, and giving up all the performance improvements & other bug fixes since then in exchange. Personally i'm not willing to do that, nor do I think I should have to.

Frankly, I'm about at the point where I'm ready for the Nvidia solution. I'm committed to Win 10, so going back to 8.1 isn't realistic for me.

Yeah, at this point I feel like I may just have to deal with the occasional crashing for another year or two, then i'm going back to Nvidia when it's in the budget to upgrade again. Unfortunately it's way out of its return period at this point, dealing with ASUS for an RMA sounds like a bigger pain in the arse than the crashing is, and I can't justify simply trashing it and buying a new one right now.

mahoon

Hi Yes, when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 my r9 380 had 15.300 drivers

installed - as I have now - I'm not going to guarantee it but I've at least

had a blackscreen-free evening. I believe the 15.300 drivers are in the

15.11 Radeon Software Version - it is possible to download previous drivers

from AMD's site - you might need to Google 'previous amd drivers' or

similar for the link. I've had a nightmare updating, rolling back

re-installing, re-rolling back etc etc for the past two months but seem to

be stable at the moment. Obviously the thing to do for you would be to

create a restore point, download the 15.11 package, and give tbe 15.300

drivers a go - what have you got to lose eh?

Best Regards

Andy

mahoon

So i uninstalled the 15.300 drivers using DDU in safe mode, installed as little as possible from the 16.7.2 package (display drivers, HDMI Audio and nothing else, no 150Mb AMD Settings, no Vulkan or anything else) and all seems to be going well. Full day gaming and no black-screens. Several restarts, some power-offs for a while and all seems to be well. Driver is at 16.200.1035.1001. I will now go and back it all up and re-run the process, this time electing to install the AMD Settings as well and report back.

mahoon

Installed 16.7.2 - actually reported as Radeon Software Version: 16.7.3

16.7.3.PNG

and only problem is with Dragon Age: Inquisition - profile was saved as using Mantle previously and won't load - crashed with an error which I didn't note, now window just opens, fails and closes with no error message. I have fixed it by resetting the profile to use DirectX11 in:

C:\Users\%User%\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save\ProfileOptions_profile

by setting:

GstRender.Mantle 0

GstRender.MantleEnabled 0

No other problems - including blackscreens - yet.

mahoon

Ok, so everything ran fine for a few days, then the crashes began again. Not black screening but restarting after a bug check - whocrashed pointed to the AMD drivers, but whocrashed isn't 100% from what I gather.

Only system changes had been installation of:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176495) and

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - August 2016 (KB890830)

Followed the process. Again.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

but no joy.

Bit the bullet and reset my PC (not as painful as I thought it would be, now I've got Windows on its lonesome on it's own drive)

Windows installed driver 16.300.2311.0 by itself and I've since re-installed the above Windows updates as well as

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)

24hrs later and all seems to be running fine again (previously when I let the m/c idle for 10-15 mins it would crash, now it simply sleeps/hibernates after 20mins and awakens fine).

Might attempt to re-install the whole package (16.8.1) again at some point, and will report back if that goes successfully or not.