3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 2:26 AM by amdmatt

Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered + blue screens

randybobandy

I have Steam and right now when I'm playing games I'll get an error that says "Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered" and it crashes the game.

Then the screen will go blue and it'll either say;

"THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER" or "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION"

I did a complete factory restore of my laptop, but I'm still getting it and my laptop is only a couple of months old.

And I have the latest Radeon graphics update 16.3.2, because my laptop can't get the 16.5.1 (beta)

HP Pavillion 15-ab113na

• Re: Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered + blue screens
          amdmatt

Please can you attach (Do not copy and paste) your DXDIAG report into your next response?

randybobandy

Hope I did that right

Also what's happening now is I'm no longer able to close the game window anymore. It crashes my whole laptop. Can't open task manager or anhything

I've used DDU and then the HP site to install the correct drivers

Made registry for TrDelay

Updated BIOS

But nothing seems to be sticking

amdmatt

I'd like to try a system clean up and a fresh installation of the latest compatible Crimson 16.3.2 drivers from the amd website, to see if it resolves the issue. I notice that you are using the older Catalyst drivers, so perhaps an update to the latest will fix the crashing.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.3.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.