1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 8:37 AM by amdmatt

BSOD When Trying to Record or Stream

stirfrybeans

I have run into an interesting issue, I am trying to screen capture Minecraft on my HP Pavilion DV6 with switchable ATI graphics. The laptop itself has an i7-2720qm and the GPU is a Radeon HD6770m. I initially tried to screen capture using OBS Studio, but was rewarded with a BSOD with the system error being atikmdag.sys. I thought the problem might be OBS but I received the same blue screen when using Xsplit.

I tried to solve the issue myself, I figured it must have been the switchable graphics doing me in, and I was somewhat right. If tried running both of the programs on the GPU which resulted in blue screen, running both on the Intel Graphics worked, and running OBS on the GPU and Minecraft on the Intel Graphics also worked. This is great but I don't really feel like recording at 13fps. The problem would then appear to be the HD6770m itself. I reinstalled both the Intel and Radeon drivers, even trying out the new Crimson beta drivers, no luck.

On a seperate note, I have a desktop computer that I could also use to broadcast (750ti and AMD A10 6800k) but I thought that my laptop would be significantly faster at the x264 encoding due to its far superior processor (Passmark is 8000 in my laptop vs 4000 in the desktop).

All in all I would like to have this issue resolved if at all possible, and if anyone has experience screen capturing on the switchable graphics your input would be greatly appreciated.

Full System Specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel i7-2720qm at 2.4ghz (3.2GHZ on power supply)

Radeon HD6770m with 2GB

8GB DDR3 SODIMM

Intel HD Graphics 3000

250gb Fujitsu HDD

1 tb external HDD

• Re: BSOD When Trying to Record or Stream
          amdmatt

The HD6xxxm series has reached peak optimisation and been moved to legacy status, there will not be any further driver updates for your product. More information available here.

The latest Crimson driver for your system is 16.2.1 and is available here.

The last Catalyst driver for your system is 15.11.1 Beta and is available here.

I would recommend using DDU to sweep your system of AMD drivers, and then trying the drivers above to see if they resolve your issue with OSB studio and Xsplit. If the issue continues, you might be better off trying your other system as you can use updated drivers.