1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 8:24 AM by diabormagics

Game Launchers Not Detecting Correct Video Card

diabormagics

Hello everyone,

So... I've come across a problem a few times that's really bugging me. Recently I bought Black Desert Online and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and their launchers do not detect my correct GPU. I have an MSI GX60 gaming laptop running 64 bit windows 8.1, an AMD A10-4600M CPU and dual graphics in the form of AMD Radeon HD 7660G integrated and AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB dedicated.

These launchers (and they are most certainly not the only programs that fail at this), fail to detect my 7970M GPU. They just can't be selected in the launchers.

Now I wonder... does this matter? I ran Black Desert Online I believe with medium settings, as well as Shadow of Mordor on medium, but that seemed to work perfectly fine. Does the dual graphics automatically switch GPUs when needed, even if the launchers (=games?) don't detect the 7970M? Or am I wasting potential here and is there some nifty trick behind this detection thing?

Also I use Radeon Crimson's first stable edition version as driver. The newer ones constantly tell me my GPU is unsupported for them; which is most likely due to the integrated weaker GPU. This is a separate issue so I think this doesn't really have to be addressed here, but I just mention it because it may be useful to know which drivers I use. And my driver's profile system does detect the 7970M. But there does not seem to be an option to force it to be used?

I hope I'm making sense here, if there's any more info you need please let me know. Thanks in advance if you try to help me

Have a great day,

DiaborMagics

EDIT: maybe it's worth noting that some games experience screen tearing even with VSync on. The Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 and 2 games do, for example. I had to change quite some settings (would have to check what everything is set to) in the profile system and put the games in windowed mode to get rid of it. Neither full screen, nor borderless worked properly. Hyperdimention Neptunia Re;Birth 3 works without too much screen tearing, but... every two minutes or so, maybe more, there is a slight anomaly that looks like a framerate drop, but does not feel like that while playing... and I have no idea how to describe that. Hyperdimension Neptunia Action Unleashed and Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart have no problems whatsoever and neither does Fairy Fencer F have a problem. These are launcherless games I thought I should mention.

I also play Skyrim a lot, but I have no idea which GPU that detects... I believe my ENB detects the 7660G, just like Black Desert and Shadow of Mordor.

• Re: Game Launchers Not Detecting Correct Video Card
          diabormagics

I'm bumping this because it still does not have an answer, while I notice the launcher problem more and more often. It seems like not a single launcher detects my dedicated GPU.

Most problematic things at the moment:

- The launchers of games only detect my 7660G integrated and never my 7970M 2 GB dedicated GPU

- I still can't update my drivers and still have no idea if there is a way around that