7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 4:59 PM by luperdye

Radeon HD 7800 being detected as Radeon 3000

jamesbarton14

Hi all, hope someone can help.

I've recently replaced my motherboard and CPU and had to do a clean install of Windows 10, which I have since upgraded to the latest version.

Unfortunately my Radeon HD 7800 (which was running fine before the change) is now being detected as a Radeon 3000 and performing poorly.

I have tried to update drivers from Windows Device Manager and also by downloading the various Crimson tools from here but they all seem content to think that I have a 3000 installed.

Here is my device manager list and my system as read by the Speccy programme (which by the way detected the HD 7800 before I made my hardware changes) : 

Device Manager.jpgSpeccy.jpg

When I try to use the Crimson tool (which downloads however I try to select my drivers on the AMD website) I get the following.

Hopefully you can make out that there doesn't appear to be offered a driver for my 7800 - then there is an error in the installation - then the log seems to show that the HDMI audio driver is failing (but perhaps more importantly it is still seeing the graphics card as the Radeon 3000)

Installer Series.jpg

My old CD which came with the graphics card will not run properly in Windows 10 - when I run it in compatibility mode it goes through the driver installation process but with the same result - ie that I have a Radeon 3000.

Hopefully this is enough information to go on - any help would be much appreciated.

I've just spent a fair bit of money trying to upgrade my processor for gaming purposes and now my graphics card is failing me!

• Re: Radeon HD 7800 being detected as Radeon 3000
          jamesbarton14

Oh and one other thing - when I was reinstalling Windows 10 it kept having the following blue screen error :

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (AtihdWT6.sys)

As I was getting nowhere I deleted this file from my Windows/System32/drivers folder

I did make up a back-up of it but foolishly I only backed it up on the hard drive itself and it appeared to be deleted in the subsequent Windows installation. Not sure if this is related.

amdpete

The 3000 series would be the onboard graphics of the motherboard so you need to investigate your motherboard BIOS settings and disable the onboard graphics and or make sure your GPU card is properly inserted and powered.

jamesbarton14

Thanks guys - you put me on the right track - I was very confused assuming the graphics card was being detected but coming up as the wrong thing so was looking at drivers etc.

Turns out there was a fault in the power being fed to the graphics card so it wasn't actually on - hence why it wasn't being detected.

luperdye

Could you please explain to me how you made your system detect/use the other graphics card? I think I have exactly the same problem. I have a hp 15-n058ed laptop with a Radeon HD 8670M and a onboard HD 8400. I think it's only using the HD 8400 since it says that's my gpu when I play Total War: Attila and it doesn't mention the HD 8670M. Also I'm pretty sure I should be getting more fps in game, I'm getting 7 fps with the lowest possible graphic settings.

jamesbarton14

I'm afraid you might have a different issue. In my case when I replaced the graphics card there was a fault with the power cable - so whilst the card was plugged in it wasn't drawing power and therefore remained undetected by the computer so it defaulted to the on-board graphics card. Have replaced the cable and having done so it was detected and when I checked in my BIOS that the graphics card was selected as the primary thing (over the on-board graphics) all was well.

Is your HD 8670 being detected in your device list in Windows?

luperdye

I went to the windows device list to check it and it showed it as the HD 8600M series. Then I installed the latest drivers for it through windows which then did made it detect it as the HD 8670M. This however made me lose a lot of features in the amd catalyst control center including the place where I could check what my curent driver version was. That's why I decided to go to amd's site and run the driver auto detect program and I downloaded the minimal driver update including screen drivers and the Radeon app which accordingly gives you full control over your gpu. Did this, restarted my laptop and I lost vision completely... When I start up my laptop now it first shows the hp logo like normally and then when it normally goes to the login screen the screen becomes completely blackish and stays like that. I don't know what to do now and how to fix it. I guess I'm just going to send it to amd or something and ask them to fix it, since all of this happened only because of a simple amd driver update. Thanks anyway for your time and devotion.