7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 8:39 AM by cwolvb

Installing drivers causing BSOD after Windows logo

cwolvb

This has been doing my head in since Sunday.  I bought an r9 nano so i could play the new division game.  I installed drivers after getting rid of old using the display driver uninstaller and upon restarting after installing it blue screened after windows logo stating the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop etc.  So into safe mode I went to get rid of them and started googling.  A few others also had a similar problem so I have tried things that they tried.  Now I installed the display driver only - rebooted and managed to play the division all night.  But after shutting the pc down and going on it the nxt day, I get the same error.  Now whatever I try does not seem to work.  I have tried updating the driver through windows, same thing.  I have even tried going bk to a driver 15.7.1 as someone claimed that fixed this problem (may have even said in the release notes)  It boots fine in safe mode and also into windows normally as long as it uses the generic microsoft driver but I need to know if there is something to fix this before I RMA the card.  I am using 2 graphic card riser cables due to my build but I don't think this would have any affect as I have also had the graphics card direct into the motherboard but yields the same results.  Windows is all upto date and I have even formatted hard drive today, fresh install and still same error and bios has been updated too.   I have attached a pic of the BSOD I get but any help is appreciated.

Build

Processor - Intel Core i5 3570K

Motherboard - Gigabye Z77-D3H - rev 1.0 - bios F23b

RAM - 8GB DDR3 (think its Kingston Ballistix)

Graphics - R9 Nano - Powercolor

PSU - Antec Truepower 650

HD - Samsung Evo SSD 500G

Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

• Re: Installing drivers causing BSOD after Windows logo
          amdmatt

Please try the following steps to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, i would recommend a fresh installation of Windows 7.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Attempt to install the latest Crimson 16.3.1 drivers once the above is completed.

cwolvb

I had more or less did all of this the other day other than the sfc scannow which didnt find any issues.  Clean install of windows was done Thursday.  I have made sure that Windows is upto date, only updates are the optional language packs.  Netframework and Visual C++ 2013 are there and up to date.  I use DDU whenever uninstalling drivers ready for new ones.  I have just downloaded the latest crimson 16.3.1 drivers but I get the same result.  On a slightly different note although maybe connected.  My monitor doesn't always pick up a signal, on average I have to start the pc about 3/4 times and it seems only then its pot luck I get a signal.  I have tried using displayport, displayport to dvi and also used another monitor with hdmi, all showing the same thing but I'm not sure if the drivers would fix it as I havn't rly been able to try them.

cwolvb

I have today done a clean install, and instead tried windows 10.  I get same result after installing latest crimson drivers in the fact that its blue screen but different messsage : Thread stuck in Device Driver.  No idea if this means the same thing as the error got on windows 7 but I'm thinking now its either a graphic card hardware problem or the drivers.