10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 10:57 AM by d2beetle

Building AMD system.

banis

Decided to build budget AMD system and  need help choosing CPU + motherboard in 200$ range, cant afford gpu at the moment so I am thinking A10 7700 series CPU, or better take FX8300 + motherboard with integrated graphic, and add normal gpu in future? Your opinions?

• Re: Building AMD system.
          ljm61

Your timing is good!

Just as the next generation of computers are about to make the scene, the current lines of AMD technology will be dropping in price.

I see no problem going with an APU based system. But if you can hang on just a bit longer, and keep an eye on the goings on in the

retail market over the next weeks and months, You can catch some seriously incredible deals for top rated, spare no wishes technology.

I would suggest to hold out for the nearest to the top of the line motherboards. That would be any AM3 based system with the 990FX

North Bridge. The best amongst them IMHO is the very motherboard I own! The Asus M5A99FX Rev2. It has all the ability of the Saber

and Roge lines but $100 less expensive. As for Processors... Any of the 8300 series FX processors are seriously great. I started with a

FX-8320 8 core and was very impressed with its overclockability on the M5A99FX motherboard. I have since then upgraded to the FX-8370

and am still playing with seeking its upper overclocking limits beyond 5ghz! Yes! With a good high quality watercooling rig a stable 5ghz was

easy to reach. For my system I have a Corsair H80iGT watercooling rig that has easily kept the CPU temps to 48C @ 5.12ghz for extended

periods of heavy gaming(WOW, WOT, MWO, CRY engine based games)

As for GPU's. They are going through a phase of price changes too. You can score some amazing deals on R9 280's & 290's that are still

relevant, especially if you plan on running Windows 10 with DX12-Mantle or-Vulcan. Even the cost of new 380 & 390's are not too bad either.

I would suggest you buy a used 280x or 290x now and save your money for the release of the POLARIS based GPU that are coming.

If you can wait and suffice for a year with a 280 or 290, you can wait for the first price drops and score a FuryX or even a new Polaris based

card a bit cheaper. I am currently running a Sapphire 285 and it totally kicks @1080p with all settings at their highest, easily achieving

60+ fps on all my games. And I have seen these cards new for $100 less than I paid! 

I have always run a few years behind to scoop the best deals on the top end of the performance gear. By doing that you also get to know which

gear is the most durable and has the least failures when pushed(overclocking). Always go for the gear that was made for what you intend on using

it for... Trying to seriously O\C a M5A97 mobo for example, has led to a lot of tears and burned up warranties. So get the best of what you can

afford from the tech pool that's been around for the last 4 years. It's still better than 70% of what most of the population has and are trying to game on!

(Truly $erious gamers are less than 30% of the total computer users demographic). Also, do your research and buy a high quality power supply if your

going to O\C and push for performance. And you can save money by getting a decent case that will fit everything at a budget for now and upgrade later.

Good Luck and happy deal hunting!

zealotki11er

As far as APUs go : AMD APU Comparison (A4, A8 & A10 APU's) - YouTube

For FX-83XX I am not sure if there are MB that have build in iGPU.

$200 is good price if you did not need to get a GPU.

FX-6300 + 970 MB : AMD FX-6300 - System Build - PCPartPicker

warpfact0r10

If you are definitely going to using the integrated GPU, I'd strongly recommend getting an A10 APU. You will not find an iGPU that is as good if you go FX. You have the right idea with the A10 7700. Are you building an ATX full tower or an ITX small form factor PC?

william

It depends on use case of your new system. If you need it for general work or some light gaming than in that budget range I would get A10 APU. In terms of performance than FX 83XX + dedicated graphics would be much more powerful in CPU and probably in GPU aspect as well. But that is outside of your current options.

d2beetle

For your consideration ...

I have built this budget computer over the past two weeks; all components came from Amazon and were "Prime", so shipping was ($0.00) FREE! ...

GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-HD3 FM2+/FM2 Bolton D4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX $79.76

AMD A8 7600 FM2+ 4MB Box R7 Series Graphics 3.8 AD7600YBJABOX $84.99

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 $119.99

Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 240 GDDR3-2GB DVI-D/HDMI/D-SUB OC GV-R724OC-2GI REV 2.0 $69.99

WD Blue 1TB Hard Disk Drive 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 WD10EZEX $53.99

Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80 Plus Gold-Certified CP-9020055-NA $114.97

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid Tower Case CC-9011051-WW $49.99

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit System Builder OEM $120.99

... with these exceptions, I already had a Case, Bluray/DVD Drive, Mouse/Keyboard, and I use a 60" Samsung 1080P HD TV for my monitor, and the audio is handled by a Denon AVR-700W, via HDMI.

The Total System cost is $694.67 and without the case it is $644.68; do not forget to add state sales tax if it applies to you.

My video resolution is set at (720P/1366x768); my frequent game play list is, Diablo III, Path of Exile, League of Legends and soon Mech Warrior Online. So far I have no complaints with this configuration. However, when my budget allows I am going to get an additional video card, just because.

zealotki11er

You have so much wrong there. Almost every part you picked is wrong. Please don't give advice.

d2beetle

Building a computer is like creating art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and besides, beggars cannot be choosers. Seeing how you have such a strong opinion, just for you, I went through my spare parts closet (SPC) and I put this one together last night ...

Gigabyte AM3+ SATA 6Gbps USB 3.1 ATX DDR3 1066 GA-990FX-Gaming $148.01

** Phenom II X4 965 Black AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ

** Zalman Noise Prevention Fan Pure Copper Heatsink CPU Cooler CNPS9700

* (x2 - for 16GB) Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R $57.99

** (x2) GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 Ti WINDFORCE 2X OC Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 2x DVI/HDMI/DP GV-N66TOC-2

** WD Black 500 GB Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache WD5003AZEX

** Asus 24x DVD-RW ATA Internal Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Platinum PSU AX860 $162.55

** Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower Case CC-9011035-WW

** Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit System Builder OEM

* To get 16GB I had to buy one, and the other is from the SPC

** From the SPC

So I spent $368.55 and have a semi-new computer.

raestloz
                        1. How far in the future will you reasonably get enough money to get a GPU?
                        2. What kind of games are you thinking of playing?
                        3. At what resolution would you be playing?
                        4. What's your budget for the whole system?

I believe answering those questions will help us better offer suggestions for you

banis

Next  month   i am planing add gpu, something like R9 380, case, psu, RAM, hdd (from old system)  i already have, planing  2 screen mid range gaming system . At  the moment fx8320 is at good price and + msi 970 gaming board it makes very good combination.