5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 10:42 AM by brewilson92

Radeon HD 7970m - Black Screen on boot

brewilson92

I am posting here as a last resort, I feel like I've literally tried everything to get my laptop graphics Radeon HD 7970m working again.

Recently I was playing a game and the computer blue-screened, the blue-screen was related to my video drivers so I decided to update them through the AMD website. Once I did that the screen went black and white and I had no choice but to reboot, once I rebooted it went to the "starting windows" screen and seemed to hang there for a while. After that there has been nothing but a blank black screen, no cursor or anything at all, just solid black.

My computer:

Alienware M17x R4

Graphics: Radeon HD 7970M & Intel 4000 (which currently works)

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.9GhZ

I tweeted @AMDCare and was told to install DDW and was linked a clean version of the drivers.

I tried that and it did not work, same issue.

I took the computer to a shop, which long story short just disabled my video card, obviously not resolving the issue.

I tried to restore from a point about a month ago, still no luck.

I have tried leshcat drivers after a clean uninstall and reinstall (with base drivers from Dell) and still no luck.

I'm almost certain the card has just failed, but any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Device manager does read the card as it should AMD 7970m.