2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 4:32 PM by lightningstrike

R9 390 triple display issue - display disabled, cannot re-enable

lightningstrike

I recently upgraded from an MSI Radeon HD 7850 PowerEdition to an MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G after purchasing a new LG 25UM56-P Ultrawide 1080p monitor to add to my existing array of 3, non-Eyefinity displays. The displays worked as well as could be expected with the older 7850 (in that, they worked well on the desktop, and that the 7850 could not run many games at the higher resolution). During the week that I had the displays running off the old card, I encountered no issues.

Then, I upgraded to the R9 390.

When I did, I initially moved to the Crimson drivers due to the Fallout 4 optimizations. However, I quickly (within hours) ran into an issue where my right-most monitor (the third in my array) became disabled within the Windows Screen Resolution component of Control Panel, and could not be re-enabled as it quickly appears and disappears from the list of displays. I then attempted to change the same settings in the Radeon Software; same issue: the display would appear and disappear (almost hanging RS in the process). Rolling back to 15.11.1 beta did not work either. My solution was to roll-back to a week prior to installing the card, which restored the third display. I then installed 15.7 due to some stuttering issues with 15.11.1b.

Fast forward to today, and the issue is back. Come back to unlock my computer, and the third display is not available. Same issues as before: disappearing third monitor in Control Panel/CCC. This is incredibly irritating as I 1) bought this particular card for its DVI outputs, and 2) rely heavily on multi-monitor use as an IT student with VMs. Below are the relevant system specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ stock

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-VL-K

GPU: Radeon R9 390 (MSI Gaming 8G)

PSU: Corsair MX 650W

Drivers Tested: 15.7, 15.11.1 beta, 15.12 "Crimson"

Monitors:

1. LG 25UM65 2560x1080 21:9 @ 60Hz over HDMI
      2. Acer X203H 1600x900 16:9 @ 60Hz over DVI-D
      3. Acer X203H 1600x900 16:9 @ 60Hz over DVI-D (disabled within Windows/CCC/Radeon).

I have noticed similar issues (that have yet to be resolved) reported by other users with different cards (7890, R9 290, R9 370, R9 380) from different vendors (Sapphire, Gigabyte, etc.), which leads me to believe that this issue is likely a driver issue of some kind (especially as the cards in question vary in revision of the GCN architecture, manufacture, and that I was able to briefly restore functionality to the display through a system-restore and reinstall of the driver).

I really enjoyed the Radeons I have owned. The 7850 ran far more than it should have for the price I paid for it (and its age), and the R9 390 handles most anything I throw at it (except for an aging display, go-figure). However, the drivers are quickly becoming a reason that my next purchase may not be from AMD. I have put up with tri-weekly BSODs for a period of months when the 7000-series drivers were unstable (06/12 - 5/13), which was certainly irritating, but manageable; the loss of multi-monitor, however, is a more persistent annoyance that I find I cannot put up with for long. If anyone has a workaround/hack solution, please let me know. How widespread of an issue is this? And what is AMD doing to solve issues like mine?

• Re: R9 390 triple display issue - display disabled, cannot re-enable
          amdmatt

I'm not sure why it worked on the 7850, i guess you got lucky. But both of those GPU's only support a maximum of two legacy display connections. (HDMI/DVI)

You will need to use the native displayport connection or use an Active adapter to enable the third display.

Please watch this video as it explains the limitation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: R9 390 triple display issue - display disabled, cannot re-enable
              lightningstrike

Thank you for your response. I guess I assumed the issue was driver related, as I was able to connect three legacy connections with this card, albeit intermittently (hence my issue). Probably didn't help that the issue started shortly after upgrading to Crimson, and that another display disabled itself during my troubleshooting, forcing the system restore (my guess is the drivers were to blame for the second display going down and staying down due to a misconfiguration in Radeon Software/Catalyst). Upon reading around, watching this video, and further reflection this makes sense. My Radeon HD 7850 was connected to a previous monitor and one of the Acers via Mini-DP > VGA connectors which I had always assumed were passive. But I learned later that any DP to VGA is active. I hope someone else with my issue finds this thread useful, as this really ought to be made more clear in GPU documentation (if it hasn't already). Thanks again. I will order an Active DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter and update this if/when it works.