16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 2:03 PM by davidodo

Defect bearing (fan) Graphic Card

davidodo

Good day people,

Recently I'm experiencing some noise from my grapics card, I believe the bearing of the fan is worn out or something like that.

The only thing is that I only have my pc for 16 months and I don't think it should be done that fast.

My question is, what can I do about it? Is there a possibilty that I can change the bearing or fan, or something like that? What

about warranty? Is that all I can do?

It's about a AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series.

App. Last few days it's somewhat less noisy, I don't know why that happens. In the sense of a bearing doesn't repair itself

Best regards,

DaviDodo (a.k.a. David)

• Re: Defect bearing (fan) Graphic Card
          tomtalk24

Check your fan by removing the GPU, check for any cables that may be knocking a blade. As GPU fans lay horizontal they tend to use sleeve bearings. They would last pretty much forever, they can be greased but are more likely to stop than to make noise. Vertical fans can use ball bearings, these are the bearings that will make a noise if worn.

What is the noise? Try slowing the problem fan from the middle with your finger. Maybe push it a little once stopped.

davidodo

There is no kable whatsoever that hits the fan of my graphics card. Lasts forever? Mine is already worn out after 15 months, so it didn't last forover like you claimed. It's about a horizontal fan for the clarity.

I've slowed down the fan with my finger a few days ago, The right was just spinning on and on and the left almost stopped immediately when I touched it.

tomtalk24

Pretty much forever, emphasis on the simple design on the sleeve bearing. You could also prise it out slightly, not forcing.

Like black_zion said, contact the card manufacturer. The fans are brought in from an outside company, so can be replaced by yourself if your warranty is over. You can grease the sleeve from the opposite side of the fan if it helps. Depends on how much effort you want to put in.

Seems like your sorted now.

davidodo

I should still have warranty, so I hope the manufacturer will inform me about it and what I can do. Otherwise I will change it myself, saves a lot of time. But I hope I can rely on the warranty I should have.

It's about the whole Graphics Card, not a single part. So what's the deal about bringing up the manufaturer of the fan? That's why I am here.

tomtalk24

Depends on where you live and who makes your card but yes you could be fine, yet the 7900 series has been out of production for a while, I have 3. I mentioned the fan as you stated you thought they were made by Asus.

As this situation is totally related to who makes your GPU, not who makes the chip/drivers, you would be better asking on the manufacturers forum, be it Asus or Sapphire. I'm losing track if your looking for support or an argument so think ill let you get on.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    black_zion

You would have to go through whoever made your card (XFX, Sapphire, etc), and fan bearings are mass produced by third parties and can fail at any time.

atlasminor

Best cure for cooling fans i ever found was a tiny drop of 3-IN-1 oil, used it as a kid 30+years ago and still works today, no joke. I know your just reading that about to LOL but its true, tested and i approve

Yes, ok tiny drop , lent free  cloth around both the inside of the (magnetized bearing), this is why they last forever, when you do get the courage to actually dis-mantle the casing/fan and get your hands dirty you will see for yourself, it is a new-age magnetized bearing magically holding its self together and it will snap-back into place when you put it together.

Last one i greased ripped itself from my fingers, strong stuff those magnets, and you will see why they start making noise.

One time greasing one of these fans, you probably good for the lifetime of the grease. As i mentioned earlier i used 3-in-1 tough stuff to find but well worth the ever still low price of $1.39.

Things used with 3-in-1 will OUT last WD40. If you don't think i didn't consider WD40 i have , in the past decade ago, nothing has come close to 3-in-1 oil. This would be for the fan only, dont get this stuff on your MoBo.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          davidodo

Thanks for your time to look into this, I realy appreciate it. Honestly it seems a good idea, I will consider using it and keep an eye on this method.

So it wouldn't be a problem to use a little bit force to get the fan separated from the GPU as you say? I don't really want to break my GPU xD

atlasminor

not a problem, looks like TomTalk24 posted a picture of the magnetic housing i was picturing in my head. Some GPU's are really sealed together though, and would be a matter of finding the screws TomTalk24 is referring to.

Looks like he has the fan flipped upside down and you can see the metal pole that fits in the hole an the 4 magnets wrapped in copper wire. TY for that TomTalk24

I actually come up with my own patent Toothpick-Stabilizer for laptops , Never tell me the odds ...

goodplay

All you have said. is hd 7900 series.

Exact make/model would help(and if you purchased card separate from rest of system).

If card is part of prebuilt/purchased system, then warranty expires with rest of system.

Depending on PC system specs(and graphics card make/model).you may be better off buying a new graphics card.