5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 3:38 PM by waltc

cnext.exe - Radeon Settings Host Application - Memory leak?

fallawey

After i buy MSI R9 380 and install latest Crimson Beta drivers - i found that after start windows and some time, i have error for radeon setting host application - no memory or somthing like this. I make some fotos how cnext.exe eat memory after starting windows. Sorry for my bad english!

Скриншот 2015-12-08 17.16.03.pngСкриншот 2015-12-08 17.27.24.pngСкриншот 2015-12-08 19.22.33.pngСкриншот 2015-12-08 19.40.10.png

• Re: cnext.exe - Radeon Settings Host Application - Memory leak?
          warpfact0r10

I've had Crimson open for a half hour here and it sits solidly at 41,000 K. But I don't have the insane number of Chrome tabs open like you do either.

fallawey

I do not think that Chrome - the perpetrator of a memory leak. As you can see in the screenshots leaked memory cnext.ehe. Increased non-stop to complete lack of memory. It does not matter, Chrome is running or not. =)

warpfact0r10

I was just trying to make a funny. Yeah, something isn't right. Did you Run the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility before reboot after uninstalling the Catalyst drivers? Did you disable your antivirus (including Windows Defender) before you installed Crimson?

fallawey

No, do not used AMD Clean Uninstall Utility, because old drivers was uninstalled successful with no problem. And no, not used active antivirus programm when installed new drivers. On even when been home - make some tests, maybe found guilty software. Was no time to be to search, think maybe not I alone with this problem, and asked question. =)

waltc

Well, you probably are alone with the question, so you can narrow it down to something local on your end...which is actually a good thing because that means it is within your power to fix it...;)  I'm running the Crimson 15.11.1b drivers inside the 15.11.1b Catalyst CC shell and I'm using less ram than when I run the Crimson drivers in their native interface. But when I ran the Crimson interface it was using the same amount of ram that danglingp reports--a bit over 41 megabytes for cnext.exe.

Here's Crimson memory use inside the CatalystCC: 

CCC.exe reports 4.7 megabytes

mom.exe reports 2.9 megabytes

atieclxx.exe reports 1.4 megabytes

atiexrss.exe reports .8 megabytes (800k)

You might also try what I'm doing--running the Crimson drivers inside the CatalystCC instead of through the Crimson interface, and check on your memory characteristics then.

I have heard from many sources, however, that Chrome is absolutely awful with ram leakage when run with many pages open--like you are doing--but that was a while ago.  Don't use Chrome myself, though, so it isn't anything I've seen.  Check your startup sequence to see what is being run when you boot, and check to make sure you don't have a bitcoin mining virus.  I picked one of those up a couple of years ago--have no idea how--but it was easy enough to remove. Anyway, what they do is run your 3d card when it's idle and turn off ULPS so that the system never drops down to low power when you want it to.  It sends whatever it processes somewhere, presumably.  My AV program missed it completely, but I caught it because I could hear my 3d-card fan kick up when it was supposed to be idling--started looking around and found it.  It was called "reverse directory" or something and a simple deletion took care of it...Good luck!