25 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 10:35 AM by tomtalk24

AMD Chipset Drivers...

tomtalk24

Hi, I could just be thick but bear with me...

The AMD Crimson Chipset Drivers, now I know I don't need the APU stuff but should it not update the Chipset drivers, AHCI or USB filters for me? Just it has no options when installing. I'm sure the CCC Chipset Drivers did.

Mobo: Asus Formula Z AMD 990FX

Thanks.

• Re: AMD Chipset Drivers...
          warpfact0r10

What OS?

This typically works:

• Download the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility.
          • Disconnect any wired/wireless network connections (to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers).
          • Disable antivirus (including Windows Defender).
          • Uninstall all AMD drivers normally but don't reboot.
          • Run the uninstall utility and reboot when it completes.
          • Install both the chipset drivers, then graphics drivers. (The order isn't critical but it makes sense to me to do it this way)
          • Reconnect network connections and enable your antivirus.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              tomtalk24

Chipset.PNG

You would think, but unlike CCC I just get that. Its not a problem, all is installed and working. I just like feeling updated.

warpfact0r10

Did you download the Crimson chipset driver separately? Show me the screenshot of that.

tomtalk24

Sorry I think I'm not being clear.

I download and install my graphical drivers like you have pointed out, as normal. Then load AMD driver website again, then click the optional tab and download whatever chipset drivers are available, in this case Crimson. Normally it would run, install USB filters, SATA bus etc as normal, all rosie. With Crimson and with every Windows 10 installation so far I get my previous screen shot.

This is the folder Crimson Chipset Drivers are unpacked into...

Crimson Chip.PNG

Once unpacked as normal, it launches the installation and loads the previous screenshot.

So I get all that, I'm not installing the graphics driver, correct they never have installed with the graphics drivers. Hope that makes sense.

warpfact0r10

I agree it isn't clear, but if the installer completed and everything is functioning as expected, you're likely good-to-go. But yes, one would think Radeon Settings would have the chipset driver versions listed there somewhere. Perhaps one for the suggestion box @amdmatt?

tomtalk24

I'm not sure, the installation is instant. Nothing is being installed. The drivers are unpacked, but that's as far as they go. Have you all managed to install any of these Chipset related drivers using the Installation Manager? The Readme' explain to install manually if the installation manager fails to, but I'm not familiar with what builds are for what.

Should I file a problem report? Thanks both for you feedback btw.

kingfish

Chipset drivers are not included in graphics driver installs. As far as I know, you have always had to download them and install separately.

tomtalk24

Manual driver installations fail without Catalyst Install Manager. If amdmatt or ray_m might have any feedback they could offer on the situation.

el_arantis

Same problem to me too.

I have Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev4 (bios F4b)

I asked it before but not any serious answer. Crimson chipset driver | Community

Hope AMD fix this soon, I have to use Chipset driver 15.7.1 Legacy

tomtalk24

This answer is close. But have you informed AMD via the Report Problem link in Crimson/CCC?

el_arantis

Yes I have, many days ago and moreover I opened a support ticket but no luck at all.

Why they do not test before release??

tomtalk24

I don't have to time to explain to everyone but AMD do test drivers. Test them a million times on customers and on around 100 system setups. I have opened one as well, but it seems only a few have the problem (forum not flooded), I'm sure it will be sorted. If you really need the latest drivers,  open the unpacked folder and read the ReadMe, it will guide you through how to install each driver. You should only need 3.

I look forward to this working for us, but that's the best for now.

pfefferschote

Hi there, just to be on this list: I have the same problems!

I have it on a fresh Windows 10 64bit installation (not via upgrade) - the AMD installation manager does not detect any hardware except the graphics board.

I'll try tomtalk24's solution.

AMD 990X chipset with FX 6300 and AMD HD7950 graphics board.

tomtalk24

Looking into these drivers available it would seem Windows 10 has already provided the latest drivers for us. USB I'm unsure about, but South Bridge SATA controller and acpi drivers all are up-to-date.

I think the reason we get no options is that it has nothing to upgrade. So the drivers are there, but not needed.

pfefferschote

I went through the Crimson chipset download package's files yesterday and right-clicked on the .inf files and clicked "install" and then the drivers were installed.

There were also some .msi installers but they didn't work. One even asked for the Catalyst install manager...

The Microsoft drivers are (c)2006 or (c)2009, depends on the device but I found no newer.

Esp. the IDE/ATAPI device was (c)2006 and after installation of the AMD driver (c) 05/2015.

I also tried the Catalyst chipset driver install package, the Catalyst install manager found some USB device and installed it, but sadly no other devices.

I think Win10 is blocking the install manager or AMD just doesn't care about the "old" chipset drivers anymore.

Seems they're all working on the next gen platform.

tomtalk24

I know the date is a generic thing, the version numbers don't match. But again I honestly can see any performance loss at the moment. Also on the 990 chipset. The only thing I was truly looking for was the USB filter driver. But even that seems to be playing nicely.

I'm looking forward to this next gen The current is long overdue for an update.

pfefferschote

Yes, the USB filter driver.

I could install that with the Catalyst 5.7.something-package. The one before catalyst 5.11 in the older download section.

But also Catalyst install manager didn't find any more devices for update.

You are right, my SSDs are not faster with the AMD drivers for IDE/ATAPI (SATA) device.

That's why I started looking after the drivers, I have low IOPS with my SSDs...

mirh

For no reason, they forgot to include WT[64A] folder in the driver package (W10).

The installer then, detects W10 and skip those files with no matching OS (OS == X instead of ≥?)

Try to run the it with Windows 8 compatibility (and preferably just install under this mode those components that didn't showed before)

el_arantis

Same thing with Crimson Chipset Drivers 13.3.2

Oooohh come one AMD fix it!!!

tomtalk24

My understanding (and putting two & two together) is these drivers are not necessary on Windows 10. Even Asus with my £170 mobo don't have anything to offer for Windows 10 users on their driver page. Being such an old chipset I cant see what AMD can offer or improved other than what Microsoft has to offer.

My conclusion comes from the fact no mobo manufactures have offered any AMD chipset drivers for Windows 10, and the official AMD drivers skip so much when it detects your OS as 10.

I'm not sure if anyone is noticing problems but I cant see anything wrong with what MS have bundled with 10. I guess AMD could make some changes but it seems the chipset drivers are done, complete, nothing really happened for AMD CPU/mobos to require more work on the driver. But I could be wrong and AMD could just be failing to sort whatever issue we have here. But I haven't had a proper look/comparison yet between MS and AMD chipset drivers for 10.