5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 11:20 AM by xtendet

Radeon HD5450 maximum temperature

fonon

Hello,

I'm using multi-system pc with linux (3 different distributions, mostly pclinux os) and windows 7 OS installed (all 64-bit). The graphic card is ASUS Radeon HD5450 512MB DDR2/64b (passive cooling). Sometimes the linux os hangs up, a few minutes after start (never significantly sooner or later). The same problem occurs with all linux operating systems installed, but windows works fine and newer hangs up. After system hangs up, I can't restart it (mb bios indicates an error of graphic system by beep code), but I still can start other linux and windows os. After this all linux os work properly (until the next hang up occurs).

I noticed a small difference in temperature of graphic processor in windows and linux. The temperature in windows is lower, usually equal 51-53C while in linux - 56C or higher. In summer, the problems have intensified, and temperature in linux was close to 60C.

Is it possible that the problem described above is temperature-related? What is maximum temperature of Radeon HD5450 required for stable operation?

Regards,

f.

• Re: Radeon HD5450 maximum temperature
          xtendet

Hey,

I think 60C is for a passive cooled graphic card is okay. But there could be an issue reading these temps or with the drivers. You could try to install a cheap fan to your card with thermal adesive and see if its help (keep in mind that you could have some trouble removing the fan afterwards).

fonon

Thank you for answer. I'm using different operating systems with different drivers, so the readings must be okay (drivers works properly). The temperature probe may be inefficient. Is it a typical fault for this graphic processor (or card)? I can install a big fan in the case, close to the radiator. The problem is how to make sure what is the reason? The problem described in first post may not occur for several weeks...

f.

xtendet

fonon:

I can install a big fan in the case, close to the radiator. The problem is how to make sure what is the reason? The problem described in first post may not occur for several weeks...

f

as for all PC components sometimes its very hard to find the "source" of the problems. I usually test the thing that I think is broken and wait. So if the problem will not occur for weeks even months you know it was a temp. issue. If not and you have the problem again, test your components one by one. Install another graphic card or test the current one for errors in memory and so on. I hope it helps you and you can fix the issue.

Edit: For stress testing: you could run a benchmark test on your linux system and raise the temp to see if the problem will occur. But please monitor your temps while doing it.