7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2015 10:42 PM by zumboprime

[FIXED] Strix R9 390 Drivers Crashing With Witcher 3

zumboprime

UPDATE: The R9 390 was not the culprit of this issue. Turns out a seemingly completely unrelated mod was causing the post-cutscene crash.

Graphics Card

-Strix R9 390 8GB

-no overclock added

-Currently using old Radeon HD 7950 to connect second display. Issues occurring regardless if it is uninstalled & unplugged.

Driver Version

-Currently using 15.8 beta

-Used 15.7.1 prior

Operating System

-Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Issue Detail

-When running Witcher 3, the display drivers momentarily stop working, then recover after a few seconds. The game display freezes on the frame the drivers stopped working, but I can interact with the game behind it and sound is audible. Game video does not resume and must be alt+ctrl+del'd back to desktop and closed. This originally would only happen between 30-60 minutes, but now occurs in under 5 minutes.

-Issue occurs both on Ultra settings (max V-sync, etc. you get the picture) and on Low with everything disabled.

-Issue occurs at temperatures as low as ~50C.

Games

-Witcher 3

CPU

-Intel i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz

-Overclocked used BIOS x1.6

Displays

-Phillips 247e3lph - HDMI to R9 390

-Acer P236H - VGA + DVI-D adapter to 7950

Motherboard

-ASRock Extreme X79

Motherboard BIOS

-American Megatrends P3.70

System Memory

-16GB DDR3

Power Supply

-Extreme Gear 1000W

Additional Hardware

-AMD software is hosted on 120GB SSD boot drive

-Game is hosted on a 2TB HDD

-4 case fans

Additional Details

-Ran FurMark tests, GPU ran fine at ~80C. No artifacts or other problems.

-Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled directly from AMD's website. No change.

-Uninstalled drivers and removed power supply to HD Radeon 7950. Reinstalled drivers for R9 390. No change.

Message was edited by: Zumbo Prime

• Re: Strix R9 390 Drivers Crashing With Witcher 3
          qzmarco

This a driver bug since July/15. More detalis here:

MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

zumboprime

Driver details say it was meant for Windows 7 & 8. Currently running 10, will try it anyway tomorrow after work.

zumboprime

Tried a clean install with the 15.15 drivers. Doesn't properly install on my system so I'm stuck with the W10 driver.

warpfact0r10
                    • Is your Win 10 installation and upgrade?
                    • Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller for the clean driver install?
                    • Was antivirus disabled during driver installation?
                    • Is the Gaming Evolved App Installed with the driver currently?
                    • Have you verified your game files? (Assuming you're using Steam)
                    • Have you checked Event Viewer for errors at time of crash?
                        zumboprime

Update: Frequent crashes are back after ~5 hours of gameplay. I had turned settings down to Medium which seemed to slow the crashes down a bit. Immediately prior to crashing, my system is between 45-55C, with Witcher 3 taking up anywhere from 25-35% of CPU and ~2GB of VRAM. It seemed to slowly creep up from 1.9GB over several minutes to almost 2.1GB.

Windows 10 upgraded from Window 7.

I uninstalled AMD Catalyst Centre using Windows' 'Uninstall Programs', and from there removed all AMD software.

Antivirus was NOT disabled. Though I'm not sure that affected much, seeing as how Witcher 3 is the only game affected. BF4, Skyrim, and Shadows of Mordor all run fine.

Gaming Evolved IS installed with driver.

It's the GOG version, using Galaxy beta. Files were verified a couple times, problems occurred before and after verification. Oddly enough, the crashing became less frequent after I reinstalled the 15.7.1 driver (1-2 per hour), though turning the graphics up seems to have decreased performance quite a bit this time. I'm going to verify one more time just in case and see what happens.

There were some 'Application Errors' in Event Viewer at the time of drivers crashing. I've included the text below.

Error #1:

Faulting application name: GalaxyOverlay.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55ed6463

Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 3.1750.1738.0, time stamp: 0x5398a079

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x0013fc00

Faulting process id: 0x1ac8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0f8add7b151ff

Faulting application path: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\redists\overlay\GalaxyOverlay.exe

Faulting module path: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\redists\overlay\libcef.dll

Report Id: e46a9152-eeb5-497e-bb5b-eb409cb50e18

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error #2

Faulting application name: GalaxyOverlay.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55ed6463

Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 3.1750.1738.0, time stamp: 0x5398a079

Faulting process id: 0x1df0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0f8af9aace857

Faulting application path: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\redists\overlay\GalaxyOverlay.exe

Report Id: 9ff8f8f6-96e4-4782-bfd0-f34e7683c303

Error #3

Faulting process id: 0x89c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0f8af9b1aeb8e

Report Id: 6a371e8f-18d4-41d3-ac96-67a263a12e0d