1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 8:53 PM by kphillisjr

ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5770 HDMI audio not working

chloep42

Hi there everyone, I have a simple question about the new drivers that AMD recently released for the Radeon 5770. Ever since I have upgraded the Catalyst Suite to the latest version, it's been really stupid to put it quite frankly. The version before it had worked quite well but this new version has not. Ever since my upgrade, sound has completely vanished from my HDMI port, even though the TV is still being detected and so it's the HDMI sound itself, but now the sound does not work, and cannot be troubleshooted. When using the Windows  sound test it simply displays tat it cannot because it is in use by enough process. I don't get this any more, I don't know what changed with the latest release of this software, but it's really crippled my HDMI audio, and now I'll probably have to find an old driver that actually worked unless somebody can help me with this. Even the ding in the Windows volume control isn't registered..Oh and the stupid Blue-screens that happen randomly when using HDMI really aren't funny anymore...Especially when they only really happen on a cold boot and not very often, if not at all when it's been rebooted...I'm not sure if they happen when using DVI but when I used to use DVI earlier this year, it never Blue-screened once...

If you need my specs

6GB DDR3

Intel Core i5 3450 @3.10GHZ

ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Logic Board (which isn't the best really, but it doesn't seem to have let me down)

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (and latest updates)

(EDIT) Sound works fine when the HDMI audio driver is un-installed?

If anybody has any idea, please let me know. It's driving me up the wall!!!

Many Thanks.

• Re: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5770 HDMI audio not working
          kphillisjr

I did not have any random bluescreens on my system, but I did run into the issue with HDMI audio not working.

System Configuration:

• Athlon II X4 630 (Propus)
          • GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
          • XFX Radeon HD 5770 ( model: HD-577A-ZNFC )
          • 12GB DDR3 Memory
          • Windows 7 Pro ( 64-bit )

The fix I found is to modify which HDMI audio driver was being used. The solution is takes the following steps when using windows 7 only. ( Other versions not tested ).

1. Open up the Device Manager.
          2. expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" entry in the tree. You should get a list looking something like this...
            driver_manager.png
          3. Right click on the entry titled "AMD High Definition Audio Device", and click on "Properties" of this device.
          4. Click on the driver tab.
          5. At this point, you should see something like this:
            bad_audio_driver.png
            This is a screenshot where I have the driver that is not working installed.
          6. If you have the driver that is not working installed, simply click the "Roll Back Driver" button, and windows will take care of the rest, and you should be back to the old driver that works, and in my case, the screenshot of this driver details page is as follows...
            good_audio_driver.png