3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 3:51 PM by black_zion

Lack of info for those of us who have old AMD CPU's

nana2004

I have a Athlon 64 x2 4800+ 2.5 GHz and I need to know if I have messed it up during a fan and heatsink installation.  I got a "CPU fan has failed, Shutting down in 5 seconds. Do not use without service".  This happened after a power outage.  HP support said to get a new fan/heatsink and that may fix the problem.  I have found out by searching the internet that others have gotten this for all kinds of different reasons.  New hardware made no difference.  I put on too much TP so I tried to remove it and found that I had TP around the pins and some were bent.  I cleaned it as best as I could with alcohol and managed to get the pins up so that it will go back into the socket on MB and lock into place.  But now a new problem...system will not come on and only thing that happens is when you plug it in, CPU fan and case fan come on and usually stay on until you unplug the power cord.  I'm disabled and on a fixed income so I really need to know if the CPU has a chance or do I throw up my hands and throw out my main computer.

I have read so many posts from people from all over the internet and have tried numerous other things but I'm still in the same place as before.  Also before I forget, whoever does the BIOS and updates really should check and see what people need, not just for new hardware but for us oldies who can't make changes that we need because someone forgot to code it in.

Love your products and have an AMD video card in old computer and it works fine.  If anyone can answer my questions about the CPU, it should be someone who knows them or knows where to find the info.  I hope I came to the right place.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Re: Lack of info for those of us who have old AMD CPU's
          techguy

I'm not sure anyone can answer your question. A CPU that has damaged pins can also have damage below the surface where the pins attach to the core of the CPU. In addition if the thermal interface material that you used is electrically conductive such as Arctic Silver or similar, then you would need to remove 100% of this from all surfaces, typically with electrical contact cleaner designed to not leave any residue that might conduct electricity. Rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip might work but the Q-tip is much larger than what you'd want to clean the between pins.

You may be able to find a used replacement CPU for your PC at a local PC repair shop or Computer Club depending on the socket type and what CPUs it supports with what BIOS version. As far as BIOS are concerned, those are supplied by the mobo makers. You should be able to find out what is available from your mobo makers website.