7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 8:15 AM by hmde

CPU temperature readings, AMD A10 5745

hmde

I get very high temperatures for an AMD A10 5745 chip using the program Piriform Speccy and HWMonitor and GPU z - around 90-110c. I returned the computer to be retailer to be checked under warranty - they checked the machine under stress for 2 hours and found, using their own software, that the temperature was averaging 60c, so confirmed it was working fine. I then checked with HP and they recommended using SpeedFan, which confirmed the retailers' reading. So there must be some kind of misreading with Speccy, HWMonitor, GPU, etc -

Using AMD overdrive, there is a thermal margin of between 20-16c. It might be a bit hotter than it should be but it seems that this is a misreading by some programmes, and I guess I'll go with SpeedFan.

I was told on-line that using an SSD will push the CPU to its limits, but I don't know if this is true. Task Manager says the CPU is working at 2.56Ghz, but the maximum for the chip is 2.10Ghz. Is this going to damage or overheat the CPU?

Any thoughts very welcome.

• Re: CPU temperature readings, AMD A10 5745
          alek

Hi,

I have a10-5800k. To get the most accurate temp, I use gpuz because

1) all apus till richland do not have accurate cpu reading,

2) the gpuz read from gpu; the actual apu die that has the cpu and gu blocks, is a lot smaller than the metalic heatspreader you see, so by reading the gpu temp you can have a very good idea about the actual cpu temp. Plus if u use only cpu, the gpu is going to show increased temps, becasue the gpu too is geting hotter by the cpu.

So trust the gpu-z. The deviation from the actual cpu temps are probably negligible. And drop the abomination that is called stock cooler, and get another.

black_zion

AIDA to read the core temp. If it's reading hot enough to boil water then you know it's a faulty thermal sensor and you should ignore it.

tekkiaussie

Seeing as this is a Laptop APU the "max temp" is a lot higher then your average Desktop CPU. From what I can see about this processor it says that the max temp is 105°c. If AMD OverDrive is reporting a "thermal margin" of 16-20°c it would mean that it is running around 80-90°c. On a Laptop this is not optimal but not in any "extreme" range. Laptops are not really designed to be run at max usage for long periods of time. I would suggest maybe getting some sort of Fan/Cooling mount to put underneath the Laptop which will help to keep it at lower temperatures.

If other monitoring programs are showing higher temperatures it most likely just means that they are not correctly codded for the A10-5745. I would not really worry about it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                tonnic

What type of conditions are you running this laptop in? Is it on a hard surface? In bed, on carpet? Make sure all the intakes and exhausts have plenty of room to breathe. The previous posters recommendation to use a laptop cooling pad is also a great idea. Dust stops proper airflow. Get some air in a can and make sure to open up any of the user serviceable compartments and any vents and keep them free of dust and/or pet debris. If you did not manually overclock your CPU then those Ghz are probably fine and it is a stock turbo.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  wmudrockjr

What is your Power Plan if you get to aggressive with the APU it will get hot. I run with the balanced power plan, and friend of my had his set to High Performance. This is a bad idea and will lead to some damage.

My A10-5800K has performed beyond what I had hoped it would and is still running strong.

tonnic

Laptop power plan is for energy consumption to determine when to turn and and off specific hardware components to increase battery life or reduce operating costs. It has very little impact on the longevity of the machine. Running High Performance setting just means they are not concerned with battery life or energy costs. Adjusting clock speeds and voltage are the only thing that will risk damaging the hardware (as well as void any warranty's you may have)

hmde

It's always been used on a desk and is fairly new so shouldnt be too dusty. I have a cooling pad now (Havit HV-F2056), which I am using periodically, to see if it helps, but am running Speedfan almost all the time and its readings for the CPU rarely go over 60c. Since this is what HP use for their tests, I'm reassured. AMD Overdrive seems to confirm this via the 'thermal margin' readings. It must be, I guess, that the other programmes are giving me false readings... I havent manually overclocked the CPU so glad to hear the Ghz readings are nothing to worry about, & thanks for the advice