18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 11:53 AM by andrews9

Unlocked Cores

crazycarl

Back in the Athlon II/Phenom II days, you could unlock a lot of the x2 and even x4 cpus. I had a lot of luck with the Phenom II X2 550 unlocking to x4 they also had a Phenom II X4 960T that can unlock to a six-core but never had any luck with it. All that being said, What CPUs have you tried to unlock and how many have you gotten unlocked?

• Re: Unlocked Cores
          andrews9

Hello crazycarl. I own the Athlon II X3 455. I have tried to unlock the 4th core, but without success. I am currently using the cpu on a gigabyte GA970A-D3 motherboard. In bios i can see all 4 cores but when i reboot, the bios post the cpu name as a Phenom if i remember corect, but then the OS freeze when trying to load.

So for now i am using it as "stock", i have a new cpu in the box waiting to replace the "old" Athlon II X3 455, i just dont have the proper cooling system for the new cpu.

Answer: Athlon II X3 455 -- failed to unlock.

duramax08

You're able to unlock the 4th core on those old tri-core athlons, but once that cores unlocked, your temperature readings will be completely off. I remember a guy telling me he unlocked the 4th core, but he wasnt able to read his CPU temperature anymore.

andrews9

How to unlock the X3 455 ? and be able to use it? Is my motherboard the problem for the unlocking failure? As i said, the BIOS see the 4th core, it can see the name of the "new" unlock cpu, but when the OS try to boot, it freeze. Nothing is loading. When i change settings in bios to default, the X3 455 runs norml, OS is booting up, all fine.

I have searched the web and i agree with what you have said, the temperature reading should be  problem if the unlocking succed, but so far, i wasnt able to use the X3 455 with the 4th core unlocked.

crazycarl

I'm not sure what the success rate is for the 455 but with some the locked core are actually bad cores. I have had them either work or not work but your problem could be caused by a weak core. You could try going into the bios and underclock that 4th core to get it stable. With these unlockable CPUs it is usually that they had more demand for a Dual-core so they locked 2  or the CPU had bad core and they sold the quad as a dual. I'll ask around  if anyone has this same issue. andrews9

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          duramax08

That actually makes sense. When you think about how they make the waffers, the ones in the middle are the really good ones. As you start moving away from the middle of the waffer, the quality decreases.

andrews9

The BIOS detected the 4th core, i mean , the unlock proccess worked, but the OS didnt load. If the cpu has 3 working cores + 1 bad-locked core, shouldnt my BIOS be unable to unlock this 4th core?

I dont argue with you, i accept what you both said, it might be that the 4th core is defective/weak, i just asked because i thought a logic component either works or it doesnt.

ps: is this Unlocking "thing" promoted by the amd ? or the users discover that some cpus have hidden cores? or they just use the 4th core cpu architecture line to build 3 core cpu? i mean, does amd express-hide the 4th core....?

crazycarl

It could be that the 4th core is good but not at the stock clock speed. Almost like overclocking, if you go a little too far you get  blue screens and shutdowns. I am not really sure what AMD's take is on unlocking. I never really heard them trying to stop the MB makers from having the unlocking feature. I'd say the wouldn't give  support it at all to the end user.

andrews9

Someone asked AMD the following: How can i unlock my X3-455 cpu?(and he specify NO Overclock, just unlock it). The AMD answered: there are NO hidden cores inside AthlonII X3 455. The cpu is a 3-core cpu and any overclocking will disable your cpu warranty.

Why would AMD deny that X3-455 would have a 4th core hidden? when on the web you can find people that unlocked the hidden 4th core?

i am just confused about the AMD position.

crazycarl

I'd say that they are not going to support the fact that is has locked cores. If they tell him how to do it they are opening themselves up to some problems. If the question was asked when they were still in retail, AMD would want you to buy the quad for more money as opposed to buying the X3.  They are probably told that X3's are X3's cause that's what was paid for. Probably now they don't care as much. If you can find used X3's they aren't much less than X4's but at retail there was a price difference.  All is a guess though.

andrews9

now i understand, thank you for answering my questions. Best regards.

crazycarl

No problem at all and again I'm just taking a guess on most of this and I doubt AMD will ever say anything about it. they haven't shut this post down so think its all go. Have a great day as well.

andrews9

something offtopic now = i have seen some discussions on the web about the AMD X3 455 cpu, someone was saying that this cpu is and i quote: "this cpu is a s##ty cpu".

AMD cpus are not very powerful as some users want, but my X3 455 runs "new" games without problems; i have tried Battlefield 3[on ultra], Battlefield 4[on ultra], Alien:Isolation[ultra], and others. I understand that a 3D game "its all about the graphic card" but doesnt the cpu provides the "data" to the graphic card, and to all ?

i am aware that this 3 core cpu is a low end performance cpu, but i was surprised to see how it runs without a problem some "powerful" games.

ps: come on, nobodyelse tried to unlock any cpus?

crazycarl

Most game so far only use 2 cores. There are a few that can use 4 core but even these games are so optimized that they know how to use the fullest of the 2 cores. With it having 3 that just one extra it pulls from.  As for GPU/CPU most new CPU's can handle a GPU without bottle-necking so the CPU is more than enough. That is unless it is one of the game that a CPU heavy.

andrews9

i agree with you. by the way, what's inside your rig?

ps: multi-core cpus are on the market not since yesterday, i am surprised that in this moment we speak about "few" games that were made to use more than 2 cores.

crazycarl

I have a few systems in my house my main gamer has an i7 4790k. with 16gb AMD ram and an AMD radeon R9 280 .  Also have a setup with an Athlon 860k . My friend actually has on of the Intel anniversary editions and gaming wise it keep up with the i7. Only a few games cause any issue. The 860k also keeps up with both. More and more games will start using more cores or maybe change  the way they use a cpu as in mantle.

andrews9

Congrats for your systems. On the web it says Athlon 860K was released last year? august 2014? so your cpu is not old. You reminded me of a video named "The REALEST AMD Vs. Intel Comparison Video Ever Made!" LINK, it shows the performance difference between an i7-3770k and a AMD Phenom II X6 1045T.

i really dont trust the author of the video, i dont know him, maybe some of his videos are made express to "promote" some products and he get paid for that, but he talks like he is saying his own opinion. i think you understand what i am saying.

The idea was that people start endless "wars" when it comes to intel vs amd.

I just want to say that i am not considering myself an amd fan boy, because i bought my system according to price levels. A fan boy is buying the products from the same manufacturer no matter the price is...

i am just saying that intel really overprice its products...the price difference between intel-amd doesnt compensate the performance gap. This is what i think.

crazycarl

Yeah I think I've seen that video too, where he does a render test and the intel was only a little bit faster . Yeah I'm not hardcore fan boy. When I build for others they usually ask for the best at a good price. Unless they are doing a lot of rendering I see no point in Intel with exception of  the Intel Pentium  G3258, that is a beast at the price but is only 2 cores. I basically have an i7 because I wanted to see what was on the other side. I hadn't had an Intel since the core 2 duo days. Benchmark wise its a beast but in gaming there is very little difference from my AMD's.  Rendering is a bit faster for Intel but as you said not for the price difference. Other AMD products I have had no troubles with, both systems have AMD radeon memory one at 2133 and the other at 1866.

andrews9

i am glad you know/remember the video and i am glad you understand me, we seem to speak the same "language".

Nice ram freq you have there, for the moment i run on 1600Mhz. My motherboard only supports 1866Mhz maximum.

Have a nice weekend.