cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Who is planning a December Holiday Build?

You know me.  I build lots of computers for no apparent reason.  Actually, there is a reason, but this is deeply personal to me.  So hear me out.  

During my career as an electrical engineer, I reviewed lots of things.  I was a reliability engineer, a component engineer, a system safety engineer, a project engineer, and even a senior systems engineer.  I worked on things I cannot talk about, but we are talking satellite systems in general.  I've been in the payload bay of a space shuttle while it was on the launch pad back in the 1980's, which means that I've had the excitement of participating in launch operations.  I've been involved with spacecraft for many years.  Yet - I never designed anything significant during my career.  Sure, I reviewed designs, looking for single-point failures or a lack of safety inhibits and such.  But I wasn't a design engineer or subsystem engineer.  So that part of me wasn't developed to it's fullest potential as a working man.  That's why I get creative with my computer builds in retirement.  I have modded many computers and built computer cases from scratch.  My website documents my builds and LAN parties.  I have way too many computers on my LAN, and yet I keep building them.  I built 3 this year.  So I am not planning on the usual December holiday build.  

But............I want to hear about what you are planning for a December holiday build.  I want to see your early ideas on how it might come together, what computer components you are going to use and things of this nature.  I want to feel that I am somewhat involved in another person's build.  It's to get that excitement of pulling things together and pressing that power button to see the fans spin up and the display come alive.  I want to see pictures of your progress.  It can be in another discussion topic, one that you create for your December Holiday Build.  Make me a happy retired engineer and start thinking about what you are going to do.

I paid top dollar for the AMD 5800X CPU in this January 2021 build of 'Through the Looking Glass'.I paid top dollar for the AMD 5800X CPU in this January 2021 build of 'Through the Looking Glass'.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
5 Replies
Watchtower_GM
Adept II

I do have some December plans...
Of course I still need to finish the present build but I keep procrastinating because cable management is really about all that's left. Every time I go into work on it I end up playing starfield or something.

Storage and memory are here for the next build, graphics card, and monitor bought at black friday prices are on the way too.

I just posted a new topic about what did people buy on a Black Friday Deal.  Please tell us what you bought or ordered.  Meanwhile, tell us about your idea for the December build.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

December is right around the corner.  Let's see some pictures of your cable situation (before and after).  I for one do not have the patience for a high quality cable management build.  

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm still looking for some cool December builds.  I know they're in work.....

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There must be one new build out there.  Post a picture here even if you have your own blog going.