cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Weber462
Challenger

Ice box

When I received my first large radiator, I wanted to build a rig that would utilize both air and water cooling.  With the RAD having 8 200mm fans, it had the potential to more A LOT of air.  I wanted to somehow use the RAD generated air movement to cool VRM, Ram, and the motherboard in general.  I had an idea to essentially build a “chimney” like design that would take cool air from near the floor and pump upward across (and around) the motherboard.   All of my amazing artistic abilities are on display with the picture below. lol

Untitled.png

thumbnail_63259633887__9B6F6C7B-E35B-41E8-9969-3853024F9415.jpg

thumbnail_63259632839__F0F31BD2-8925-496C-84F3-0EE78D80929C.jpg

I started by using Oak 1.5x1.5 to make a square.  And with that add legs to make a table. (I used dowels for all joints; I'm a big boy and I could stand on this)

thumbnail_IMG_2251.jpg

I wanted to somehow incorporate an air filter so I put a “base” on table with large opening for cool air.  Yes, that is my finger in the photo.  Next I needed to mount the motherboard...

thumbnail_63278902021__A36F756B-FBF9-4FC1-8535-8FF06030F724.jpg

thumbnail_63278904209__876259DB-3386-4ED9-88CA-1D47271B0405.jpg

In testing the following does work to help cool motherboard components, but not enough to warrant any addition into future rigs.  I wanted to develop a way to “wrap” airflow across and BEHIND motherboard to prevent heat buildup.  So I developed a motherboard trey to pull air in-between the motherboard and the metal try (where the standoffs are).  This was controlled with a 120mm high static pressure fan.  I then mounted this in between the RAD and the cold air intake, with motherboard facing the cold air intake.

9.jpg

10.jpg

For the air Filter I mounted a piece to metal mesh in-between two pieces of Oak and made a frame.

5 (1).jpg

Next I made a removable "shell" 

thumbnail_IMG_2322.jpg

thumbnail_63486862024__FE586AC0-805C-48EB-B314-FD235DE9B1A6.jpg

After A LOT of sanding I stained, mounted HD, reservoir, PSU.  Stained, wired and I was ready to game/BOINC.

thumbnail_63329590283__0362597C-8328-4BBE-8338-545EF7A29302.jpg

13 (1).jpg

7 (1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2329.jpg

8.jpg

2.jpg

1 (1).jpg

All done!  

• x
1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The case design is unique.  How loud would you say the computer is when gaming?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Volkdude85
Challenger

That is AWESOME! needs a movie projector, a subwoofer, and maybe Elon's kitchen sink....

Please follow-up with temp screenshots.

Where is this thing going? I love fancontrol. 

https://getfancontrol.com/

Killer build

LOVE the HVAC FILTER

Hell yeah, me too.  I was fun to dial in.  When those 200mm for full, you could definitely feel the air getting pulled in from floor.  

Volkdude85
Challenger

... "Rad,ical  Thermal Vector Chassis" sounds more TMNT PhD, or a bad dad joke. 

Weber462
Challenger

I entered it into December “Rig of the Month”.  If you like it please come vote!   
https://community.amd.com/t5/rig-of-the-month-entries/ice-box/ba-p/562327

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The case design is unique.  How loud would you say the computer is when gaming?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Not loud.  You don’t need much to cool with that mora.  I have fans maxing out curve at 50%  I crunch BOINC, So it has the cpu and gpu pretty much at max load all the time.   Keeps temps around 50-60 for the 3600 and less for gpu.  I really like this one.  If I could do over I would change clearance from filter to gpu,  it’s was alittle difficult to mount, it’s at a weird angle.  And the fan mounted at back of motherboard wasn’t as effective at i hoped i would be.  But I really like the “shell” design.  And I liked working with oak. 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Oak does make for beautiful furniture.  My dad had the woodworking skills back in the day, but I never came close to his level of craftsmanship.  He had me holding 3/4 " plywood as it was ripped with his table saw and that thing used to scare me.  He built most of his projects in the 1960's and 1970's.  I built a stereo cabinet out of birch and dark acrylic doors that incorporated muffin fans - my first exposure to them I believe in a project from the 1970's.  I still have it but I only use it for storage of 300 albums and several other things.  

Anyway, you could still modify your case a bit if you need to.  It's not set in stone after all, it's set in wood.

PackagingXpert
Journeyman III

The author received a large radiator and wanted to create a rig that combined air and water cooling. They utilized the radiator's 8 200mm fans to move a significant amount of air and devised a "chimney" design to cool the VRM, RAM, and motherboard using the upward airflow. A picture showcasing their creative concept is provided.

Custom Cone Sleeves

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Sweet.  Oh, and tasty too.

0 Likes