cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Favorite Modding Tools

Do you have a favorite computer modding tool that you use on a regular basis?  If so, please share a picture and description of it and tell us some tricks you can do to enhance it's capabilities.

To start us off, here is my Dremel tool.  I have used this device for many years, cutting up plastic cases and things of this nature.  It has many bits that you can insert for carving, shaping and also destroying if you are not careful.

A must have tool for the modern day modder!A must have tool for the modern day modder!

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
11 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

So what can you do with a Dremel tool?  You can create Laptron, that's what!  I used the Dremel tool to grind down sections in an old VCR that I gutted so I could insert a working laptop (minus it's display of course).  I even managed to squeeze in a laptop cooler to keep things on the 'mild' side.

The VCR case minus a few parts.The VCR case minus a few parts.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Here's another favorite tool of mine - tin snips or metal cutters.  I've used them plenty of times to cut out windows in the sides of computer cases (before a side window was standard).  Here I'm using them to cut a circular hole in the top of an old Lian Li case so I can display a Mathos Light at the top.  

It's tricky to cut a circular hole.It's tricky to cut a circular hole.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Let's not forget a critical item for a workbench - the vice!  My workbench was actually built by my father a long time ago, as in the early 1970's I believe.  This in-bench vice dates back to that time frame.  I use it to hold aluminum bars that I'm bending, or even metal plates that I'm cutting with a hacksaw.  

Bending aluminum bars is easy with a big vice.Bending aluminum bars is easy with a big vice.

Sometimes you need a second vice that gives you room to raise the cutting level above the workbench.  This small vice came from my father-in-law after we moved him from his house to an assisted living center.  He recently turned 96 years old.

Cutting steel bars requires some clearance above the workbench.Cutting steel bars requires some clearance above the workbench.

TheArkratos
Adept I

Outside of many you shared (hand dremel tools are AMAZING, I really recommend getting a carbide cutting bit)...
My two favorite tools, the first is the ultimate in making holes and starter points for sawing: The Stepper Bit!Stepper bitStepper bit

The second is a bit less accessible but a cheap-ish brake, sheer, and roller great for making brackets out of sheet metal.  You can fold and cut metal without one but wow this makes it quick and almost painless.Brake, Sheer, and RollerBrake, Sheer, and Roller

I hadn't seen that Brake, Sheer and Roller device before.  Do you have any example brackets that you've made with it?  I would like to see what it can do.

0 Likes
Weber462
Challenger

stepper bit is a must.

FederaluL
Adept III

Say hello to Jack, he can do many things. perfect for unscrewing WC fittings used with ZMT tubing (with a cloth between them of course to avoid damage).

Also the "Screws Community" fear him lol

ps: excuse the dirt, it's my work and gaming bench

Jack.jpeg

EK watercooled 6900xt - 5900x - Lian Li XL - Samsung neo G8 - Logitech G910 - Hero G502
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Let's not forget about a hot glue gun. These come in handy when you need a longer term repair or mounting than what a piece of Duct Tape can give you. I haven't used one much, but it does work to hold awkward things in place when a screw mounting or just glue isn't the best solution. Here it was used to glue in the Mathmos LED light to an old Lian Li case

The Hot Glue Gun.  Yes, you plug it in to heat the glue.The Hot Glue Gun. Yes, you plug it in to heat the glue.I used the hot glue gun to hold this Mathos light in place with my Mathmos Madness build.I used the hot glue gun to hold this Mathos light in place with my Mathmos Madness build.

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

I love this tool!I love this tool!

basic hand tools help alotbasic hand tools help alot

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

What is it? That thing might rip up an old case in no time flat!

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

It is an oscillating tool. It rips through anything, and they make all different bits and sizes for it. This one from Dewalt has some vibration while you're cutting but you get used to it. I've learned to cut on something first before I start any main cut lol Milwaukee makes a bigger one and they really perfected no vibration while cutting. But I have all Dewalt tools and at this point would never change after my collection of batteries and chargers etc...