cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

naxter24r
Journeyman III

Re: DirectX 12: Q&A with Robert Hallock

When we will see some triple A titles running on DX12?

How much can older card (GCN 1.0 and 1.1) get benefit from DX12 compared to new one?

0 Kudos
postcards
Adept II

It seems like DX12 games have to be tailored to a GPU architecture. Something like older games with Mantle support not performing well with the newer GCN (Tonga and Fiji). Will DX12 be like this? Do you see games in the future still using DX11 to fall back on due to this?

0 Kudos
rhallock
Staff
Staff

The drivers and OS were ready to go a few weeks before Windows 10 formally launched. But certainly before that the drivers were beta and so was the operating system, which is very unstable/dangerous ground for any game developer. I think developers have frankly done an admirable job in getting software up and running under the circumstances. If you're a dev shipping a game to millions of people, you must have a final OS and final/stable drivers before you can even build/QA your game. That happened in August, and it definitely takes more than 3 months to bring a game to life.

Also, the true measurement of a graphics API is the number of games shipped in the first year of non-beta availability. I'm very confident in DX12's success by that yardstick, but by that measurement we're also still in the early stages. I think once you understand the timetable it doesn't look remotely as dire, too.

0 Kudos
rhallock
Staff
Staff

1) This year. That's all I can say.

2) Identical benefit. DX12 is structured to bring most of its benefit to the widest hardware base. Makes sense to encourage developer and user adoption.

rhallock
Staff
Staff

DX12 is not like this, and I think this was a misunderstanding about Mantle based on some unfortunate application decisions.

jamesc359
Miniboss

We've seen how the larger studios are embracing DX12, but what about the smaller ones - do you foresee them adopting DX12 any time soon or will we still be seeing DX11 titles for a long time to come?

0 Kudos
rhallock
Staff
Staff

I don't think the dividing line will be "big vs. small" studios. I think the dividing line will be in passion for rendering tech. DX12 is the latest, fastest, most flexible API, which breeds opportunity for many new rendering effects, hardware uses and performance boosts.

But not every game needs that. Not every game is a hugely technical endeavor. I think these devs could stay on DX11 or DX9. But if you are pub/dev that cares very passionately about making a game as fast and pretty as possible, DX12 is a key decision.

jamesc359
Miniboss

You mention making a game run faster and prettier, I know that the lower CPU overhead has been touted pretty heavily, but what about on the GPU side of things - will DX12 offer any significant speed improvements for systems that aren't being bottle necked at the CPU?

0 Kudos
postcards
Adept II

Oxide mentioned that they are only using a modest amount of Async Compute. I think Fable Legends benchmark tool is the same as it isn't using it too much. Do you think devs will make more use of it in 2016 or will that be something that happens way later down the road.

0 Kudos
warpfact0r10
Forerunner

What are the most important resources available for successful implementation of DX12?

0 Kudos