cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lremery
Adept I

WinXP on Ryzen X370??

Has anyone found a way to have WinXP-32 load successfully on a Ryzen X370 system?  I am an avid AMD enthusiast, but also keep XP on almost all of my computers. I usually multi-boot XP(32), 7, & 10.  I'd HATE to leave AMD, but I just upgraded one of my PC's to Ryzen 5 and now it no longer boots to XP, complaining about ACPI compatibility issues.  I need to upgrade from all of my Phenom II's and FX's, and I'm NOT ditching XP.  There are too many great games that just won't run correctly/completely in Win7 or above. (Diablo I for instance - color degrades & no IPX for LAN play.)  Anyway, please let me know how I can get XP running on Ryzen-based systems.  Thanks very much!

0 Likes
15 Replies

Not possible.

0 Likes

I hope there is SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE who is working on a fix for WinXP so it would run on Ryzens and other new cpu's.  I simply MUST have XP running on my machines!  I hate that AMD is forcing me to cross Ivy Bridge.  :-(

0 Likes

You can't "fix" it, the CPU is just too new for the OS to comprehend. Your best option is to run Windows XP in a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox or VMWare, though some forum posts suggest Windows 10's Hyper-V works just as well.

black_zion has a great idea.  Hyper-V is great under W10 and Google gets many hits searching "Hyper-V and XP".  Hyper-V is much faster and easier to use than VMware for Windows and I have used both.  The big advantage to VMware is running Linux, Unix, etc.  Please don't mess with W7 on Ryzen - almost as bad as XP from MS point of view.  Enjoy, John.

toby
Journeyman III

Maybe you can try to run the virtual machine in Win7 or above.  such as  the "VMware workstation"

Thank you ALL very much for your VM suggestions.  I'm starting to research VM's now.  I've heard good and bad things regarding VM's and total compatibility - there always seems to be some sort of compromise with regard to FULL functionality.  I'm mostly concerned with IPX and graphics - in that order.  Many of the older games I play ONLY on WinXP use IPX for multiplayer connectivity.  I really wish MS hadn't killed IPX after XP.  I don't know of ANY utility/fix which allows IPX protocol on any Windows after XP, and I've looked far and wide.  I'll report back what I find.  Thanks again!

0 Likes

They didn't so much "kill" it has outlived its usefulness in favor of TCP/IP. Deprecated components can become security issues as they are no longer being developed or patched. Remember Desktop Gadgets in Windows 7? Great little things that became massive security holes, so they were removed.

Hi!  Thanks for the lesson on IPX!  Alot of it I understood, however a good measure of it went right over my head.  Is it saying that MS & Novell created some protocol which IPX-using multiplayer games will work normally in Win7 or 10?  Please clarify for the uninformed!  Thanks!

0 Likes

Also, if you use Hyper-V to create a Windows XP machine, then use remote desktop connection to dial into it then it runs as native...but the problem is it's a jackhole to setup. DIE INFURIATINGLY UNHELPFUL PROMPT!!!!

Not sure if you saw this software called IPX Wrapper. It emulates IPX so that you can play older games on your Windows 10: IPXWrapper - Solemn's site 

0 Likes

Thanks, I downloaded the wrapper yesterday and I'll probably start

playing with it sometime this weekend.  Take care! 

Larry

Why don't you just keep 1 computer for your older games and upgrade the others ? These old games do not need any new hardware.

0 Likes

1 computer would NOT be enough! 

We do LOTS of LAN multiplayer around here... kids, friends, etc..  Just about ALL of our computers are multiboot with XP somewhere in the mix.  Sooner or later I'll probably be upgrading each of them at least to some extent. All have video cards (NVidia) in the 900 series or below, and now I'm apparently limited by AMD to the FX cpu's, and by Intel by the Ivy Bridge cpu's.  Currently all but one of our desktops are running on AMD Phenoms or FX's.  I **REALLY* don't wanna go Intel, but DAMN, my son's FX9590 is nice, but REQUIRES that 280mm Corsair radiator with push-pull so it won't ignite!  The Passmark scores on the i7-4960X are pretty impressive in comparison, and yeah... so's the damn price!

I also wonder if I could install TWO video cards in my multi-boot systems, using one while in XP and the other (GTX 1000 or higher) while running Win7 & 10?  Shouldn't be too hard...

0 Likes
seymoronion
Journeyman III

deSSy2724 has a thread about this over at win-raid forums, called

Windows XP 32-Bit and Server 2003 32-Bit on Modern Hardware

It is an interesting read, and they also answer questions.

For the most part, what I've found that worked, was using two PCIe cards, namely,

1. An older PCIe SATA Card, with the JMB 363 chipset. 

Connect both your Optical Drive and OS Drive to it.

Disable all SATA and USB Ports in BIOS.

Disable onboard LAN and Audio in BIOS.

Use nLite to slipstream in the SATA Card's XP Driver.

Use a motherboard that has at least one PS/2 Port, for your Keyboard and Mouse.

If you only have one PS/2 Port, Start the XP install with the Keyboard.

You'll switch to the mouse once you get to the desktop.

Remember that it's bad (and it won't work) to try connecting or disconnecting PS/2 devices while the computer is on.

2. Just about any standard PCIe USB 2.0 card.

DO not put this into a PCIe slot until later.

In my experience, no USB ports worked during installation, not even the 2.0's that come with the motherboard, nor the card.

I had to remove the USB 2.0 card to complete installation.

After you make it to the windows XP desktop, you're gonna wanna:

Turn off the computer.

Clone your HDD with Arconis, or some other program that does similar things.

Put the USB 2.0 Card in a free PCIe slot.

Swap your PS/2 Keyboard for a Mouse.

Ok, turn your computer back on, and see if it installs drivers for your USB 2.0 card auto-magically.

If so, feel free to plug in a USB Keyboard. If not, that's ok, it should start working later.

Either way, next, you should restart your PC, enter the BIOS, and re-enable all of your USB Ports,

All of them: 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.2.

Save changes and reboot.

Swap your XP Install disk for a CD-R with drivers for the onboard USB Ports.

Fernando has a thread up on the win-raid forum called

USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

You're gonna want to click the Spoiler Tag to expand the "A. AMD USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers" group.

Look for the ones that mention XP, specifically: >32/64bit AMD USB 3.1 Controller and Hub Drivers v1.0.5.3 WHQL<

You might have some luck with the B. ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers as well, but I didn't.

Burn the USB Drivers you got to a CD-R with another computer, and try installing them in your XP computer by going to Device Manager and updating the USB Hubs manually.

If your USB 2.0 Add-in Card did not auto-magically start working, be sure to remove it before installing the USB 3.0/3.1 drivers.

Okay, after you have some working Mobo USB Ports, shut down again and install the USB 2.0 card (if it didn't work before).

Boot XP and test all of your usb ports with a keyboard.

You'll need the mouse to be connected to a PS/2 port, so you can easily click through the prompts.

Make notes.

So, at this point, some of your Mobo's USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports will still not work, but all of your 2.0 ports should be working.

Shut down your XP PC yet again, and remove the 2.0 card.

Remove any mice and keyboards that aren't your normal ones, and connect your normal ones.

Store any PS/2 input devices, you don't normally use, in a safe place.

Turn your computer back on.

Enter your mobo's BIOS.

Re enable all of the other onboard devices you disabled (LAN, Audio, SATA, WiFi, and so on)

Now comes the fun part.

You get to hunt down drivers for your onboard devices, and your graphics card!

Oh, by the way, none of the Ryzen APUs have drivers, and from what I understand, the generic VGA one that comes with XP doesn't work either. You'll need a dedicated GPU. Also, you can't even install any OS other than Win 10 or (Linux) with an APU, even if you add in a dedicated graphics card.

Future readers, check the date of this post. If it's been a while, someone might have figured out a work-around, keep searching, and let us know if you find something good. 

Anywho, try installing all the stuff. Some stuff won't work, but most of it should.

You may wanna also ask for the x86 XP compatible AMD Ryzen STORAHCI driver, in the thread started by deSSy2724.

I haven't tried getting NVMes to work, I just used a normal 2.5" SATA SSD.

Before installing the x86 XP compatible AMD Ryzen STORAHCI driver, be sure to Clone your OS Drive!

Anywho, you can test the Onboard SATA Ports with your optical drive or another HDD or something.

Be aware that it is probably safer to not connect any SATA Devices while your computer is on, though.

Good luck!

I have DOS up in VirtualBox which has no issues with old operating systems unlike Hyper-V.

0 Likes