cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Hallo_Dirk
Journeyman III

Windows 11 vs Ryzen 7 5800x (base clock on idle higher then in windows 10)

Hi there, 

I recently updated to Windows 11 and since then I struggle with temperature of the System wich is all over + 5 degrees hotter then it was under Windows 10.

I figured out,  it's because, in IDLE, the base clock under Windows 11 does not fall below 3800 MHZ where it was around 1800 MHZ under Windows 10.

Both systems were running in balanced energy mode, with the same setting.

Any idea how to easy fix this or ist this because of a issue between AMD and Windows 11?

Kind Regards

2 Solutions
crystalyser
Adept III

Its no secret that Microsoft createt a knew "masterpiece of bul(/&%" @ the very next level with Win11.

Win11 for sure using totaly differnt power tables like Win10 did it before. And until the day, they will find the 
reason for the whea's so many people fighting with and the reason for the bsod/blackscreens/freezes when 
windows changing to the idle mode with to low volgage offsets @ryzen 5000 CPU's ----> but running fine 
with the same offset @100% usage in Benchmarks with very good results.....

theres a BIOS Settings Tutorial @ IgorsLAB Homepage witch is very easy to understand  (german & english).
Its explained how to get max performance out a 5800X and reduce the temperatures at the same time
with 4 different profiles, benchmark results and power consumption  tabels etc.
check this out! its realy awsome! i'm realy a little overclicking addicted psycho and computers are my main hobby...
but before 2 weeks i upgraded my system with a 5800x
I haven't had a second in the last two weeks in which my system worked normally...
until I found the tutorial on the IgorsLAB site.....
Now my 5800x boost's with a used ancient corsair 240mm AiO from ebay to almost 5ghz at a maximum of 68°C in 3Dmark and Cinebench
igorsLAB . de  -> reviews -> AMD Ryzen der 5000er Serie mit PBO2 (eng/ger)

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Thread scheduler in Windows 11 seems to be different from Windows 10.
For Ryzen 9 5900X, BIG.LITTLE scheduler seems to recognize the slowest (Perf#11) 1 core as the E-core and Recognize faster (Perf#1) 2 cores as P cores.
Currently, it seems that you need to create a custom power plan if the frequency does not go down.
* It is recommended to create a system restore point in advance.

I'll put a sample video and sample power plan here.

[RCPP] Ryzen Custom Power Plan (v0.62).zip
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/176UurikjSSODn7KEX_K5BVLElvxywkCg

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CaesarIII
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem (with a 3900x mind you) and it's driving me crazy. Am using the force power saving plan with a max of 20% cpu load most of the time to prevent the system from running hotter than needed.

Would be nice to have this fixed so that it's working as it was in win 10

to clear a few checkmarks already:

bios is up to date
chipset is up to date
win is up to date
power plan is installed

Speedstepping seems to work as the system is changing up and down betweet 3800 and 4300mhz all the time and it goes down to 1800 when I force it with said power plan. With this it even uses deep sleep for the majority of cores/threads. Most of the time only 4 threads are running. This does not happen in balanced and ryzen balanced - 1-2 threads go to sleep at max.

idle load is @ around 1-2%

0 Likes

Thread scheduler in Windows 11 seems to be different from Windows 10.
For Ryzen 9 5900X, BIG.LITTLE scheduler seems to recognize the slowest (Perf#11) 1 core as the E-core and Recognize faster (Perf#1) 2 cores as P cores.
Currently, it seems that you need to create a custom power plan if the frequency does not go down.
* It is recommended to create a system restore point in advance.

I'll put a sample video and sample power plan here.

[RCPP] Ryzen Custom Power Plan (v0.62).zip
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/176UurikjSSODn7KEX_K5BVLElvxywkCg

crystalyser
Adept III

Its no secret that Microsoft createt a knew "masterpiece of bul(/&%" @ the very next level with Win11.

Win11 for sure using totaly differnt power tables like Win10 did it before. And until the day, they will find the 
reason for the whea's so many people fighting with and the reason for the bsod/blackscreens/freezes when 
windows changing to the idle mode with to low volgage offsets @ryzen 5000 CPU's ----> but running fine 
with the same offset @100% usage in Benchmarks with very good results.....

theres a BIOS Settings Tutorial @ IgorsLAB Homepage witch is very easy to understand  (german & english).
Its explained how to get max performance out a 5800X and reduce the temperatures at the same time
with 4 different profiles, benchmark results and power consumption  tabels etc.
check this out! its realy awsome! i'm realy a little overclicking addicted psycho and computers are my main hobby...
but before 2 weeks i upgraded my system with a 5800x
I haven't had a second in the last two weeks in which my system worked normally...
until I found the tutorial on the IgorsLAB site.....
Now my 5800x boost's with a used ancient corsair 240mm AiO from ebay to almost 5ghz at a maximum of 68°C in 3Dmark and Cinebench
igorsLAB . de  -> reviews -> AMD Ryzen der 5000er Serie mit PBO2 (eng/ger)

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
0 Likes