Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

D_v_M_92
Adept I

Windows 11 High CPU usage on Ryzen 9 5900X

Dear computer fanatics,

I experience unexplained stuttering in my Windows 11 environment.
This is especially noticeable when dragging a program over my desktop or when i open a new program like a internet browser.
What I can see is that "Processor 1" of the 24 logical processors has high usage. (most of the time) (when this usage is low for a few seconds everthing works smooth)
In all open processes there is not a single process showing high usage with the exception of "Inactive system processes" but in my opinion a high % should be good for this process.
(however my games run fine on ultra settings)

Here's my Setup:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
RAM: 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti (8GB VRAM)
Display: LG UltraGear 45" 240Hz (3440x1440) (DisplayPort)
Storage 1: 1TB WD BLACK Gen4 SSD (Windows 11 is installed on it)
Storage 2: 2TB WD BLACK Gen4 SSD (various games and other software are installed here)
System: Windows 11 Home 22H2

Troubleshooting I've already tried:

* I performed a "Clean Boot".
Unfortunately without any result.

* I have emptied all temporary file locations... (TEMP / %TEMP% / PREFETCH folders)

* I have the value of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu key;
" adjusted to "4"

* I manually increased the virtual memory to a minimum of 9044 (which was a recommended number) and a maximum of 18088.

* I have set my power management to performance.

* In the OMEN Software i set the system management to High Performance.

* I checked all drivers and updated where necessary (unfortunately there was only one driver update available for my audio)
(also the BIOS is already fully up to date)

* I have disconnected my 2nd SSD full of games and other software (possibly the large amount of data can cause an issue)

* I have connected a smaller 60Hz monitor.

* I performed a clean Windows 11 installation (current SSDs fully formatted)
During the installation process of Windows 11 (bootable USB) I also experienced minor stuttering.
After Windows 11 was fully installed I updated all drivers and performed all windows updates and with this clean installation and only the basic drivers and software I continued to experience stuttering in the windows environment.

* I also tried to set all visual settings as simple as possible in windows 11 to get a smooth system as possible, but 1) this doesn't look and is not exactly desirable and 2) this didn't help either. ..

After all these options, I decided to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 (bootable USB) and immediately upon installation everything went smoothly.
Also in the Windows 10 environment everything immediately ran smoothly and i did not experience any stuttering...

Now I'm half autistic who likes to have the latest of the latest, including Windows 11, but are there several people who experience this with their AMD processor?
And/or does anyone know a solution for this?

Awaiting your responses and thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
D_v_M_92
Adept I

Dear everyone,

After a long time of troubleshooting and cursing, I finally found the issue...
I uninstalled the complete AMD chipset driver and all associated ones (using MicrosoftProgam_install_and_uninstall.meta) and downloaded and installed a number of previous and outdated chipset driver updates.
(AMD Chipset 3.10.08.506 to start with)
After this installation I immediately installed an update version 4.03.03.431 and have not experienced any improvement so far...
I then installed 2 more update versions (version 5.08.02.027 and 5.12.0.38) and after this last update 5.12.0.38, Windows 11 ran like a charm and all logical processors were stable.

I suspect the solution lies in a combination of these updates, there is talk of a fix in the latest update (5.12.0.38) for instability within the Windows 11 OS but this was more applicable to the bitlocker fix (known as the fTPM issue)
And only with this update the problem was not fixed for me before.

I therefore suspect that an older update (which I have not previously installed) may have contained a certain bug fix that was not included in later updates?!

If there are anyone else with unstable processors like I experienced, I hope this can help you!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
D_v_M_92
Adept I

0 Likes
D_v_M_92
Adept I

Dear everyone,

After a long time of troubleshooting and cursing, I finally found the issue...
I uninstalled the complete AMD chipset driver and all associated ones (using MicrosoftProgam_install_and_uninstall.meta) and downloaded and installed a number of previous and outdated chipset driver updates.
(AMD Chipset 3.10.08.506 to start with)
After this installation I immediately installed an update version 4.03.03.431 and have not experienced any improvement so far...
I then installed 2 more update versions (version 5.08.02.027 and 5.12.0.38) and after this last update 5.12.0.38, Windows 11 ran like a charm and all logical processors were stable.

I suspect the solution lies in a combination of these updates, there is talk of a fix in the latest update (5.12.0.38) for instability within the Windows 11 OS but this was more applicable to the bitlocker fix (known as the fTPM issue)
And only with this update the problem was not fixed for me before.

I therefore suspect that an older update (which I have not previously installed) may have contained a certain bug fix that was not included in later updates?!

If there are anyone else with unstable processors like I experienced, I hope this can help you!

Hello,
Where is the 5.12.0.38?? i dont found anywhere or maybe u have anatohr driver work to ? 

0 Likes