cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ahall1983
Adept I

Windows 10 or 11 with Ryzen 7 1800X

So, I thought I'd get some opinions, I'm not really sure where to go from here and thought I'd ask around. So thanks an amazing crappy firmware Crucial had on my SSD, it actually caused heavy wear much faster than it should have, they've supposedly had a firmware update to fix this in the past that's a few years old except their firmware updater doesn't want to update it, a very well known issue I have found, that no one has the best solution, none have worked for me anyway. Great updater, it just says it's successful then leaves you on the old version, anyway, getting off that topic...

I have an Asus x370-A Prime mobo with a Ryzen 7 1800X. A good CPU for it's time, and I have no intention of retiring this right now. Unfortunately thanks to that SSD wearing issue above, I have in a state where I have 4% lifetime left on my SSD and I need to get planning on replacing it. As is commonly known now I think, MS has plans to scrap updates for Windows 10 in 2025. I like 10, I know 11 has some quirks I have not heard good things about, but I kind of feel like they're going to railroad me if I don't want my PC vulnerable in the future. Unfortunately, the 1800X is "officially speaking," not compatible. This also means that if I want to "easily" slip into Windows 11 later the easiest route of windows update is not a choice, it's simply.... not going to allow it.

I originally thought this didn't have an fTPM but looking at it now, and having enabled it in the BIOS it doesn't say that's even a problem, just that it's officially not compatible. I have seen some accounts on the internet where some people didn't seem to care about issues with it so much with this CPU w/ W11, but not enough opinions to feel comfortable about it. I know very well that there's an fTPM issue that caused stuttering for Ryzen in Windows 11, and it required a BIOS update to fix and I'm very concerned about this. I don't want that stutter.

So I went to update my BIOS/UEFI tonight, and it has an internet option which is nice and handy. Now, thing is, the BIOS it gave me, and it won't update any further than this, is saying I have the newest, which is from ~2020ish I believe. This is before the stutter patch was implemented. This is very concerning.

My mobo is this one you can see the bios versions here, iirc it was 5602 it installed and said was "newest" as you can see that's definitely not the newest. https://www.asus.com/supportonly/prime%20x370-a/helpdesk_bios/ I have heard that AMD was only "allowing" certain things to run certain AGESA versions or something? I dunno, I'm just wondering what the deal is here, and does anyone else think I should even try to bother with 11 right now. I really don't want headaches later on, though I think it's going to be a headache now, and as someone that games I SERIOUSLY do not want that stutter potential the rest of my rig is already getting dated as it is and I can't afford to upgrade anyway, and I have enough stress as it is lol.

But as you also see in the BIOS versions, it wasn't till 5606 they put in something saying Windows 11 doesn't need any settings changes to work anymore. Then the stutter wasn't fixed till 6042 in 2022. But the internet updater inside the BIOS says I have the newest one already, which is obviously not true. I don't know if there's a compatibility issue here. I could manually get these newer ones and try to flash them, but I'd also rather not brick, or even half-brick, my computer in the process, I'm not really sure if this would cause a compatibility issue if I attempted to.

So if anyone has any thought or opinions on that situation I'm all ears, thanks.

0 Likes
5 Replies
stereo55
Adept II

My thoughts ...... win 11 originaly was released for Intel's new chip cpu structure with E-core and P- cores so that the os would have that cpu structure actually work as intended .~ Besides that ,  for me , win 11 has no real benefit imo . ~ Ive had a few Ryzen buddies with  mostly gen 3 5800x-3d/5900x/5950x chips and B550 OR 570 boards go win 11 , but all have revered back to win 10 for thier own various reasons . ~ My opinion with an older Ryzen chip and chipset I'd think you  would be better off sticking to 10 . ~ I never even tried 11 so Ive no true experiance with it , but only relating  what my pc buds have done in the 10 vs 11 thing on thier Ryzen systems ( all my pc buddies have plenty of experiance of 20 -30+yrs with windows os and  more than just general computer knowledge/savy if that helps ?. ) ~  Lastly .....Windows 11 may even benifit Ryzen gen 4 ???, but Ive not even researched  that as of yet , since Iam not upgrading my 5900x for quite awhile yet .

0 Likes

Yeah as much I would like new 'good' features and 10 was supposed to just keep updating, (guess we can't trust MS with that one) 11 has some things I don't particularly like from the bits I have seen, I know they have tweaked some things to be less stupid over time as well but I haven't had my hands entirely on it either.

The only reason I'm really bothering is purely on the basis that security updates will absolutely be stopping and I don't want to have to install the OS again when it occurs, especially since I can't particularly take the easy and instant route of Windows Update since they chose not to support a CPU that was still fairly high end at the time all things considered, ridiculous.

I'd consider biting the bullet more if I could get that newer UEFI, but I don't want to wreck my PC trying to ram a newer one in either, I don't exactly what the compatibility restrictions on that stuff are. I can read Asus' bios update patch notes, so I know the stutter fix for the Ryzen CPUs on W11 didn't come until after this one. But as far Asus' quick easy internet updater goes, it says I'm "up to date." even though it's like 2 years of updates behind if you go look at the actual downloadable ones.

I might be able to force one on by downloading it myself, but I also don't know if that's going to screw up my ability to use this CPU either since I have no idea what so ever why it's not giving me the newest one to begin with.

0 Likes

You should ask on the asus support forum about bios update, probably a guide on other way to update it.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

How are you updating your Asus BIOS?

I would download the latest Asus BIOS and then use the batch file to convert it to the proper Asus BIOS file name to update. Then I either copy that BIOS file to a Flash Drive and use Asus BIOS settings under Tools to update to the new BIOS version.

If you have an older version it should update to the latest newer version if you have the newer version downloaded and copied to your Flash drive.

As for Windows 11 it won't install due to the processor, as you mentioned, not being compatible. So I would upgrade your processor to a 3000 series CPU processor and install Windows 11 which is supported by your Motherboard.

Even though your 1800x has fTPM, the CPU itself doesn't have the security features needed to run Windows 11 which is why it is incompatible.

Now there are workarounds to bypassing Windows 11 installation requirements, normally by altering the Registry, for a incompatible CPU but from what I read, Microsoft will not update Windows 11 on a incompatible PC.

I would ignore that BIOS message saying you have the latest version install and try install the new version. I know you can install the same BIOS version in which you have the same BIOS version installed in your motherboard.

EDIT: I just purchased a Samsung SATA 870 EVO SSD and it has a 600TB lifetime. Found out what that means is that after 600TB has been reached the Manufacturer's Warranty is voided but the SSD might still be good. Just means Crucial won't replace/repair it under Warranty anymore. Also means that there is a good chance the SSD might fail after reaching it maximum usage amount after a short time.  BUT if  your SSD "SMART" is warning you that your SSD is about to Fail and needs to be replaced then you need to replace it but if doesn't say that and just warning you about the amount of usage left before it reaches it maximum TB than you can still use the SSD even if the lifetime usage has been reached. Unless the SSD is engineered to stop functioning when it reaches it maximum usage amount.

0 Likes

Yeah about the SSD, yeah the SMART lifetime remaining is what I'm talking about. Unfortunately I know the cells in those degrade over time as they're used, unfortunately. As far as I'm concerned Crucial should send me a new one outside their warranty anyway, I can't prove it but I know like 25-35% of that lifetime wear was in the last 6 months, and thanks to their shoddy firmware updater that doesn't actually update (and is a wildly publicly known easily googlable issue with the MX500 series) I don't feel like they're really doing their part there.

As for the BIOS, yeah, that's why I'm concerned with if the newer BIOS will even work with this CPU. I'm absolutely not upgrading this CPU I don't have money for that and frankly, I have no actual need of it either, unless I had more matching video power to boot, it's not worth the money. It's more just that Microsoft is strongarming people about updates coming up, which is irritating, if they weren't invalidating perfectly fine CPUs it wouldn't be a problem =\

Oh yeah, but about the BIOS yeah, I had updated it using Asus' built in internet updater. But it will not pass the current version with that updater, which is making me think they might not want this CPU running on a newer one, but hard to say I guess, I just don't want to wreck it in the process.

As for Windows 11 I have heard it has some checkbox to go through where it whines about not liking the CPU, then goes on just fine. If it wasn't for the Ryzen specific stuttering issue I might give it a try immediately, but yeah that bios not wanting to take a newer version makes me nervous about that.