Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

deepcuts
Adept II

Re: WHEA 18 Again!!! I'm done!

Jump to solution

@colesdav 

Try https://www.overclock.net/threads/replaced-3950x-with-5950x-whea-and-reboots.1774627/

I would expect some press coverage also, but I guess reviewers got cherry picked samples. Cannot find another explanation.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

But why should all of that be needed for a company to acknowledge about an issue ? this whole discussion between us started on your allegation that building a Zen2/3 platform avoiding those WHEA errors was "very easy", 

What allegation? Building Zen2 platform is certainly easy. I have had no problems as long as I read reviews and select good Motherboard and PSU. 

I have had no problems with Zen 2 CPU at all. 

RE: sorry but you have 50 combined years of experience building PCs on this thread telling you it's not and you getting one that works OOB pretty much means you should buy a lottery ticket mate

You are both getting on like a pair of old drama queens if you ask me. 
You have both been unlucky and have problems with Zen2 or Zen3 processors for some reason. 
So work out what the problem is with your motherboards, or BIOS, or Windows installation or PSU or CPU or GPU.  

RE: My aim here is not to try and destroy AMD sales but to get them to fix their **** as I ordered 2 of those 5950x i need for work purposes and would rather not have to spend the next 7 months debugging the platform as @mackbolan777 had to ...

I didn't say it was, but I am telling you that complaints to Gamers Nexus was the only thing that got listened to in the end to get AMD Radeon to attempt to fix GPU issues on RX5700XT, after about 8 months of problems, and also on RX Vega 64/56 GPUs as well which had GPU driver problems for even longer. Bugs were reported, emails were sent, posts were made on the forum. Nothing got fixed. Talking to Press or YouTubers should not be needed, but that is what happened. 

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I just tested BFV on a Rzyen 2700X machine with 64GB of Corsair 3200MHz RAM and a primary RX5700XT attached. 
I also have another 6 AMD GPU cores hanging of that machine, so in terms of GPU noise it is about as bad as you will get, apart from running a pair of RX Vega 64 Liquids in DX11 Crossfire or DX12/Vulkan MultiGPU.
I have a total of 3.1 KW of PSU.
The main PSU for the PC and GPUs in the PC case is a Corsair AX1600i. 
There are another pair of Corsair  SFX 750W PSUs for external GPUs. 
All GPUs are active, deliberately, to give the AMD Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1 Driver "hell".  
I am running Windows 10 Pro 2004 with latest patches. 

I tested BFV  for 4 hours at the following settings: 

2 hours with CPU running at 3.7GHz andf RAM at 2133MHz. 
4K Ultra 60FPs with Radeon Image Sharpening on and I also even tried turning on enhanced Sync. CPU Utilization ~ 42%
1080p low. VSync off. That gave me about 166 FPS with 76% CPU Utilization. 
Not a single problem. No crashing, no anything. 

2 hours with CPU running at 4.3GHz and RAM at 3200 MHz.
4K Ultra 60FPs with Radeon Image Sharpening on and I also even tried turning on enhanced Sync. CPU Utilization in similar range ~ 42-45%
1080p low. VSync off. That gave me a solid 200 FPS with 79% CPU Utilization. 
Again not a single problem. No crashing, no anything.

I know you ran BF4, I did not have that installed.
It is downloading to test now.
There may be something wrong with that specific game. 

I will soon find out.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Battlefield 4 Premium now installed. 

Please let me know if there was a particular area of the game you would like me to test. 

I have some work to do and I will be testing in it about 8 hours. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
tatane
Adept III

Jump to solution

RE: I have had no problems with Zen 2 CPU at all. 

Good for you, why attacking people who are having problems then ? there's a 16 pages long topic on this very forum about Zen2 WHEA issues ...

RE : You are both getting on like a pair of old drama queens if you ask me. 

oh, we're going with personal insults now ? great ...

RE: You have both been unlucky and have problems with Zen2 or Zen3 processors for some reason. 

Look at the posts in this forum and all over the interwebz , seems you're the lucky one ...

RE : So work out what the problem is with your motherboards, or BIOS, or Windows installation or PSU or CPU or GPU.  

sure, AMD acknowledging the problem being my CPU straight away, no question asked, means i now have to defend its not the motherboard, PSU or GPU to fanboys forum members ... absolutely wonderful

It would also be nice for AMD / people around here to realize all of us are not PC parts shops nor have 10K to invest in solving an issue just for the sake of staying with AMD ... We do test all we can with what we have at hand, but in the end of the day AMD is the one having the most control over the whole platform since they make both the CPU and the Chipset ... If it doesn't work as expected, how are we supposed to test a dozen different motherboard/ram/gpu combos from different brands especially when reports about WHEA errors come from all kind of brands/models anyway ? do YOU have the black voodoo magic formula to make it work ? if so i bet ya AMD would be keen on hearing it too rn ...

Now you're likely going to ask how AMD is supposed to test all those combinations ? I'm just asking you how are WE ? AMD makes billions out of selling us these components, we don't make any money by doing AMD's QE dept job ...

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

RE: Good for you, why attacking people who are having problems then ?
I am not attacking anyone. 

RE: oh, we're going with personal insults now ? great ...

No.
Just commenting on they way you are both getting on.  

1. Claiming AMD can't make CPUs that work at all.
2. Telling me "my accusation that Zen2 works". 
3. Wah wah Intel won't have this problem. 

You know, its all a bit, well, dramatic.

RE:  sure, AMD acknowledging the problem being my CPU straight away, no question asked, means i now have to defend its not the motherboard, PSU or GPU to fanboys forum members ... absolutely wonderful

OK, so AMD RMA process was quick and easy, isn't that a good thing?

How is suggesting you contact Tech YouTubers, like Gamers Nexus,  and the Tech Press to ask about your problem, since you get no resolution or support from AMD on here quickly enough the actions of fanboys.

@mackbolan777 has accused me of working and advertising for Nvidia for goodness sake. 

You both seem to have "lost the plot" in your anger that you cannot get your PC Systems to run stable, for whatever reason. 

There may well be something wrong with your CPUs. 
I guess AMD will test them during RMA process to find out. 

You never know, you might get your original CPUs back.

0 Likes
tatane
Adept III

Jump to solution

welp, moderators keep removing my answer (no rude language or anything tho ...)

Guess that's just about settles it for me and my future with team red ... 

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Ok so weeks since fixing the IF running at 1866 to match my 3733, so called , "sweet spot" RAM on my 3600X build. I stopped having errors about Processor Core Failure/Hierarchy Error, and the usual complaints on here about the Ryzen CPU's in general. Switching to the Adrenaline 20.8.3 driver seemed to stop the error relating to that driver crashing.

Tonight after about 2 hours into BF4, the PC screams, black screens and reboots. The error: WHEA LOGGER 18 Processor Core Failure. So I'm done with AMD at least as far as CPU's go, just done. I looked for a single Intel with this error and found one in 2017 but it was error 19 and that resulted in CPU replacement after replacing everything else first. 

Same song here but it's happening to every model CPU from the Ryzen 3000's to the new Ryzen 5000's and now the only thing "Ryzen" is my blood pressure! 7 full months of fighting this machine and I've had it. Trying to help others on here with similar issues when in fact there is no cure, not from AMD. All these "quirks" with RAM, board topology, the "uniqueness" is a cover for AMD's failure to make a working product. Hundreds of thousands of posts about the same failures and errors all over the internet and yet AMD still keeps pumping out this problematic hardware.

Sure I'll RMA the CPU but I'm done with AMD CPU's until I see they actually fixed something right. $1100 worth of a problem, bunch of you know what. This whole forum was designed to catch the flak for AMD. Like getting one CPU to work properly is finding a unicorn or a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. For $1100+ No thanks. The RX 5600 XT is probably fine but we'll see after I switch CPU teams.

Yep, this will make a few of you guys happy that I'll not be in here very often if at all. At least I won't be wasting my time or money on trash that breaks every hour. AMD's RMA'ing Ryzen CPU's under a year old some less than a week, by the HUNDREDS, what's wrong here????  I'm glad I folded my business in 2012, because my customers would be banging on my door everyday since I built 99% AMD. I'd need to build a "forum" to hide behind too.

I really am sorry for your issues and very much understand the frustration. I do think this is a very real issue and obviously so by the large number of complaints in these forums as well as others such as reddit etc...

For some reason the problem absolutely has several triggers that seem to make it worse. One being the combination of Navi GPU and Ryzen CPU seems to be most common. Many have this issue though even paired with Nvidia as well. This error does pop up on Intel systems but rarely, as it is a very generic error that can even be influenced by Malware. However the current situation really appears to be the AMD platform being way over the normal range of problems with this error, IMHO. I work with hundreds of computers at work and have only seen this error on them a couple times and they are all Intel machines. One case was a system with a bad ram chip the other was a highly infected work station.

Many also find relief as you have said yourself in finding more agreeable memory settings. I also think this issue is the least and 3200 or less on Zen2 and 3600 or less on Zen3. Based only really on what other users I have seen having said.

The one thing however that proves to me it is something software/firmware related is that many with Zen 2 processors that can regress bios have found that regressing to bios prior to late summer that predates the microcode released to recognize Zen3 seems to make the issue disappear for many. Unfortunately not all boards allow this regression or is that even an option for those now having this problem on Zen3. 

While I agree with @colesdav that likely a better choice of motherboard may help alleviate the issues, I can hardly blame the end user. AMD needs to do a better job of validation of board partners then. Motherboards are very much not equal between the makers the layering how the address the ram slots the vrms all these things are very erratic on the AMD side of things and not something I ever find to the same degree on the Intel side. Regardless I don't ever like to lay the blame on the end user. Most users want to install their parts, run at defaults and have a pleasant experience. Unfortunately these days with AMD on the GPU side it is nearly impossible and for many they have to have special settings on the motherboard to be stable too. 

I know you do service for a living and I am sure you fully realize how few end users know or want to know how to adjust under the hood of their computers. They just want to use them and have them work right.

I want to point out that after reading this yesterday and I had long been curious if this would happen to me if I upgraded to the lates bios on my board as I have 3 B450 boards and am sitting 2 bios revisions back. It tried the latest bios on one as a test. Within 2 hours of running a looping test I got the WHEA18 error.  I then reloaded the old bios and began the test again. It is still running at home remotely as I am now at work, and I have checked on the machine a couple times now and it is still fine. I definitely did my homework in buying my board a MSI Tomahawk B450 and it is probably the best rated B450 board made. I now know that this board too, will get this error with the right or more accurately wrong bios. It also tells me that until this bios issue is fixed I will not upgrade to a Zen 3 chip on this platform. I highly suggest if you can to regress your bios and see if you have better luck. I know with some boards you can't do this. 

I do agree though that it looks like the only way to get traction on these issues is for someone like Linus or Steve Burke to spotlight issues. This is a topic I have written Steve about several times now. He is a great guy and usually responds to the emails too. I hope that eventually they get this fixed for you and the MANY other users with this problem. None of you deserve this, regardless of how much research you did on your hardware purchase. What you deserve is for your hardware to work right. 

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I tested Battlefield 4 Premium for 2 hours straight, and then some more. 

I tested at DX11 4K Ultra and 1080p Low.
Same machine Ryzen 2700X, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DRAM, CPU run at fixed frequency of 4.3GHz. ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero WIFI. BIOS version 3103. GPU = a PowerColor RX5700XT Red Dragon no overclock but fan profile  set to 100% rectangle and Power Slider maxed out to +50%.  Another 6 AMD GPUs on the system, but left at default driver settings. 

Windows 10 Pro 2004 updated with latest patches. 
Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1 freshly installed following DDU. 

I tested the following. With Enhanced Sync on/off, RIS on/off, Chill on/off, Ingame Vsync on/off and combinations thereof. 

Campaign mode. 
No problems at all. 

Multiplayer mode on various servers. 
No problems at all apart from one server with slow ping where the game just closed once.
No AMD GPU driver crashes at all.
No driver crash notifications. 

I will keep testing and let you know if anything bad happens over next few days. 

There is a new BIOS for that motherboard to support new AMD Ryzen processors, but I cannot afford any time to test that at the moment.

======================
Version 4007
2020/12/10 15.37 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 4007
1. New CPU support
2. Offer a Re-size BAR Support option to enhance GPU performance.
3. Remove AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon X4 Processors support
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C7HWIFI.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.
DOWNLOAD
======================

I might try that BIOS later this week, but just on the Ryzen 2700X.
Not sure if that will tell you anything though?
I also need to make sure with Asus support it is not a 1 way flash from 3103 to 4007. 

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Yes make sure you can flash back. 

0 Likes